EVO All Evo Model Discussion

WEGO 3 installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 03:05 PM
jcsurf
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default WEGO 3 installation

Between work, bad weather and a cold I finally got my wego 3 installed and ready to get my bike tuned. Its not staying on permanently, just until its tuned.

Attached Thumbnails WEGO 3 installation-11.jpg   WEGO 3 installation-22.jpg   WEGO 3 installation-33.jpg   WEGO 3 installation-44.jpg   WEGO 3 installation-55.jpg  

Old 01-31-2017, 04:46 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,631 Likes on 843 Posts

Let the fun begin!

Record some of those runs and I'll see if I can help you. What carb are you running?

Old 01-31-2017, 04:52 PM
jcsurf
Tourer

I got a Hillside stage 2, w8, mikuni hsr 42, d&d fatcat

Old 01-31-2017, 05:24 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member

Should be a runner, be aware of changing idle AFR with the air screw affects the AFR's on the low jet in low rpm range with the Mikuni unlike a CV. Said WTF a couple of times until I figured out that i tweaked the screw with no jet change and AFR's was changing in the low rpms.

The following users liked this post:
Bumpandrun (02-11-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 05:47 PM
jcsurf
Tourer

right now it has a 25 pilot, 165 main and the needle clip is in the center position. I had a small indy shop dyno tune it so I'm not sure how many turns they set the air screw at. I think theres more to be had out of it.

Old 01-31-2017, 05:54 PM
jcsurf
Tourer

Heres my dyno sheet

Attached Thumbnails WEGO 3 installation-scan0001.jpg  
Old 01-31-2017, 08:16 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member

Can see the first run was lean and some loss, final run is getting into 14.0-14.1 which is still lean. Run your Wego into the upper rpm's to make sure the real world riding reading is the same, the O2 sensor closer to the exhaust port may read more accurate than up the pooper unless the dyno operator used the same O2 bung.

Graph drop in the early rpm's is the accelerator pump hitting and then cleans up, not a bad thing to control detonation at throttle roll on. Running down the road in cruise the needle controls the AFR, found 13.8 to be the best cruise AFR with 14.2 gets some more mpg, I'll take a slight amount of mpg loss for peace of mind on a 98 degree day and that is the 13.8.

If the graph is accurate compared to the Wego a good chance of needing to richen the big jet by 1 for the WOT higher rpm's will get a little more out of it. With the accelerator pump hitting and known good high rpm's AFR at 13.2 range, bump the timing up and ride it again, timing pulled back is loss of power, with safe AFR's you can bump it until a slight rattle is heard on throttle roll on and pull the timing back, full power is just on the edge of detonation. Advancing the timing can lean AFR's .1 per 1 degree of advance so that is why you need to run it after any timing adjustment.

The Wego is a great tool but don't overthink it, a carb isn't a precise measuring devise, it is a controlled drip.

LowriderHarold and Mr3horsepower ran the Wego and can add some real world riding tuning advice on a warmed up Evo.

Something else is the 2-1 is doing it's job, no torque dip at 3000, just a slight fall off from the accelerator pump slightly rich, wouldn't mess with that

Last edited by 1997bagger; 01-31-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:24 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

nice....wish I had a wide band with data logging...I'm stuck relying on reading plugs.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:32 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by langwilliams
nice....wish I had a wide band with data logging...I'm stuck relying on reading plugs.
Buy one tighta$$ or sell a kidney, you have to stop and take more **** breaks but it still gives you enough time to tune a engine.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:47 PM
LowriderHarold
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 1997bagger
Can see the first run was lean and some loss, final run is getting into 14.0-14.1 which is still lean. Run your Wego into the upper rpm's to make sure the real world riding reading is the same, the O2 sensor closer to the exhaust port may read more accurate than up the pooper unless the dyno operator used the same O2 bung.

Graph drop in the early rpm's is the accelerator pump hitting and then cleans up, not a bad thing to control detonation at throttle roll on. Running down the road in cruise the needle controls the AFR, found 13.8 to be the best cruise AFR with 14.2 gets some more mpg, I'll take a slight amount of mpg loss for peace of mind on a 98 degree day and that is the 13.8.

If the graph is accurate compared to the Wego a good chance of needing to richen the big jet by 1 for the WOT higher rpm's will get a little more out of it. With the accelerator pump hitting and known good high rpm's AFR at 13.2 range, bump the timing up and ride it again, timing pulled back is loss of power, with safe AFR's you can bump it until a slight rattle is heard on throttle roll on and pull the timing back, full power is just on the edge of detonation. Advancing the timing can lean AFR's .1 per 1 degree of advance so that is why you need to run it after any timing adjustment.

The Wego is a great tool but don't overthink it, a carb isn't a precise measuring devise, it is a controlled drip.

LowriderHarold and Mr3horsepower ran the Wego and can add some real world riding tuning advice on a warmed up Evo.

Something else is the 2-1 is doing it's job, no torque dip at 3000, just a slight fall off from the accelerator pump slightly rich, wouldn't mess with that

Know nothing about a Mikuni, so I'll sit on the sidelines for support.
Helped a few buddies with CV's & S&S, but no slide carb. I'll watch & learn.

Ride Safe,
Harold

Quick Reply: WEGO 3 installation