EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Softail Board Scrape

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 07:33 PM
Sorg67
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
If the bike has a lowering kit on it, take it off.

Your shocks might be adjusted to the lowest ride height. If so, adjust them higher.

I used to scrape all the time with my original shocks. Not only did the shocks suck, they also were set very low.

Long story short I ended up with Works Performance light duty shocks adjusted taller than what most people have. Now it rarely scrapes.

You need to lay on the ground next to your bike so you can understand what is going on. The floorboard itself is hinged but there is also a solid piece underneath that is not but doesn't stick out as wide.

While you are laying down raise and lower the floor board while looking underneath it so you can understand it then you won't be as scared and you will understand the corrective action to take.

Lowering a bike to me is one of the most functionally defeating things a person can do. I understand people like a certain look, but I'd rather ride my bike than look at in the garage or God forbid a trailer.
It was lowered when I got it. I have raised it as high as it will to - about two inches higher than when I got it.

Is laying on its side going too result in the same parts dragging as when it is in motion? It would seem that speed and acceleration would compress the shocks and produce different geometry than when not in motion.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:42 PM
Sorg67
Tourer

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
In stock form I believe you should have 5" clearance from the frame to the ground when standing straight upright.
Thanks, I will measure

Also the rear swing arm when standing straight upright should carry a straight line from the frame to the upper swing arm to resemble a hard tale. That was the whole Idea behind the softail. depending on how old the bike is and how heavy you are will make a difference in ground clearance.
Bike is 1992, I weigh about 170 lbs. I will check the frame alignment.

Obviously you are scraping so maybe it's time to upgrade the suspension. Yes I suggest the 422's you can set the ride height as well as the spring pressure.
I do not scrape a lot. But more and more as I gain more confidence. Since I am a novice, I want to make sure I am leaving myself a safe margin for error. I want to make sure the bike is performing as it should.

And for $100 you can upgrade the front springs with the Progressive kit and when installing make the plug 1/2" longer and use 1 more ounce of 15 weight fork oil. It will firm it up and help to relieve the scraping. But all this does rely on how aggressive you ride....
I really do not feel that I ride very aggressively. But it seems if I am doing the rear shocks I may as well do the front as well

Old 02-20-2017, 08:04 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,165 Likes on 6,216 Posts

I meant for you to lay down on the ground so you can see underneath the floorboards with the bike still upright.

Do not lay your bike down.

While laying down and looking under there, swivel the floorboard up and down with your hand. Doing this will help you understand what is happening during a scrape and how the stationary parts are in relation to that movement.

I went through a couple of sets of progressive 422's in a short period of time. I had very bad experiences with them but I am the odd man out with that. Works Performance is a lot better shock, but it is also a lot more expensive.

Also check your tire pressure, especially the rear.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:23 PM
Sorg67
Tourer

I measured the clearance from the frame on the stand. I will have to get somebody to hold it up to measure straight up. On the stand, it is 6 1/2 inches on right and 4 1/2 on left so I will call it 5ish straight up and the top of the frame aligns with the top of the swing arm on the stand. Will check that again too when I get help straighten it up.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:29 PM
Sorg67
Tourer

Originally Posted by Prot
I meant for you to lay down on the ground so you can see underneath the floorboards with the bike still upright.

Do not lay your bike down.

While laying down and looking under there, swivel the floorboard up and down with your hand. Doing this will help you understand what is happening during a scrape and how the stationary parts are in relation to that movement.

I went through a couple of sets of progressive 422's in a short period of time. I had very bad experiences with them but I am the odd man out with that. Works Performance is a lot better shock, but it is also a lot more expensive.

Also check your tire pressure, especially the rear.
Will check Works Performance. Running Avon Cobra's 38 psi front 44 psi rear. That is higher than Harley recommends, but it is what Avon recommends for Cobras this bike.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:22 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Sorg67
I measured the clearance from the frame on the stand. I will have to get somebody to hold it up to measure straight up. On the stand, it is 6 1/2 inches on right and 4 1/2 on left so I will call it 5ish straight up and the top of the frame aligns with the top of the swing arm on the stand. Will check that again too when I get help straighten it up.
Some one lowered the **** out of that bike!!!!

FWIW I just went and measured mine and the left side is 6.5" off the ground and the right side is 13" off the ground and I have lowered the rears just a little.

I'm thinking you're gonna need fork springs, tubes, and the right size shocks to get your bike back to where it belongs.

If you want I have some OEM rear shocks that you can have for the cost of shipping.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:18 PM
Sorg67
Tourer

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Some one lowered the **** out of that bike!!!!

FWIW I just went and measured mine and the left side is 6.5" off the ground and the right side is 13" off the ground and I have lowered the rears just a little.

I'm thinking you're gonna need fork springs, tubes, and the right size shocks to get your bike back to where it belongs.

If you want I have some OEM rear shocks that you can have for the cost of shipping.

We must be measuring something different. I am measuring from the bottom of the frame to the ground. Ground clearance on the new softails according to HD is 4.7 inches. I think I am a little more than that and it looks like it is sitting properly.

Thanks for the offer on the OEM shocks. I am leaning towards the Progressive 422s at the moment. But I am not sure there is anything wrong with the ones I have.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:52 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by Sorg67
We must be measuring something different. I am measuring from the bottom of the frame to the ground. Ground clearance on the new softails according to HD is 4.7 inches. I think I am a little more than that and it looks like it is sitting properly.
I was measuring from the bottom edge of the floorboards to the ground.

What do your boards measure?

The following users liked this post:
Sorg67 (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 03:26 PM
Sorg67
Tourer

This is what she looks like. Floorboard measurement is similar. Left front corner 13 inches. Right front corner 7 inches when on side stand.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:35 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Then the only thing I can tell you is slow down.
Softails aren't sport bikes.
If I remember right a softail has a 24° lean angle and a bagger has a 37° lean angle.
FXR's and sportsters will have even more.

I came to harleys off a VTX 1300 and that thing has even less of a lean angle than the softails so I'm good.

You may end up deciding that you need more lean angle for your riding and to be honest you will have to get a different style of bike for that.

Quick Reply: Softail Board Scrape