EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1997 flhp....spend my money please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 06:30 AM
g1625s
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 1997 flhp....spend my money please!

Morning gents! I need some help/advice on the laundry list I'm forming.

The bike: 97 flhp, 43k miles. I put 3k on it last summer when I bought it. Bone stock save for slip-ons with reasonable baffles. Never was a service bike, original owner was a mounted officer and bought this for his personal use, put the bulk of the miles on it. Starts, runs, rides and stops perfectly.

Me: Never ride 2-up, 6 foot, 170lbs, bags moderately loaded. Not an agressive rider, typically stay to the secondary highways, though I've waited a long time for this bike and intend to schedule as many day and weekend trips as time allows going forward. Also intend to commute to work when feasible, about 20 minutes one way.

One issue: Sitting in traffic last summer, the bike quit. No lights, no nothing. Sat under a bridge 10 minutes, turned the switch and fired right back up. Self resetting breaker?

What I want: A little more grunt (don't we all...) and reliability.

My laundry list. Some things I'm fairly certain on, others a little hazy, I'll try and indicate that.

-Slip-ons: Got em. slash-ups from j-p cycle. They look and sound the part for my money, I'm happy with them

-Want a true dual head pipe. Cobra seems affordable and has gotten good reviews. Thoughts?

-Ignition: A little lost here, lots of options. Was my coil possibly linked to the engine quitting in the heat? Willing to spend some money here on module, coil, wires and good plugs and whatever else may be necessary. All opinions welcome!

-Cam, et-al: I see no reason to re-invent the wheel here. ev13 seems to make the most sense for how I ride. I've built many gas and diesel engines over the years and have access to a FSM for the evo. I'm comfortable swapping the original cam gear over, etc.
--adjustable pushrods or how involved is re-using factory? Tank, rocker boxes, associated seals?
--Shim for cam, where to buy?
--breather gear...I see this mentioned a lot, but then read a lot of cam threads with no mention. Seems fairly important. Where to purchase?
--Anything else while I'm in that area?

-Carb: Quality kit is what I'm after. Now that you know my riding style and choice of components, there should be some kind of ballpark setup to get me started. This is the only reason this bike would ever make it to a dyno, I have not tinkered much in this area.

-Air filter: Would like a suitable drop-in for my setup. I've waited a long time for that 'Harley Davidson Police' filter cover on the side of an evo

-Brakes: No clue here. I'm content with how it behaves, but adding more go means adding more woah. All opinions welcomed.

That's it in a nutshell. Seems a lot of these questions are spread out over several threads. If this serves to put a lot of information and opinioins in one place for future reference for others like me, hunting around, then all the better!

Thank you all kindly in advance for your time!

Greg

Old 02-26-2017, 07:06 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't go with a true duals setup on an EVO. EVO's seem to run the best on 2-1 systems. But if you like the look of dual mufflers, then I'd just run the stock head pipes back to the slip-on mufflers of your choice.

Cams.... Oh boy. EV13 is a good cam for heavy bikes. I run an EV27 in my 93 FLHS (forerunner to your FLHR). It does everything I want and was probably the best upgrade I made after the air cleaner (Screaming Eagle), exhaust (SuperTrapp slip-ons with 12 discs), and Dyna ignition. You can re-use your stock pushrods. However, you will need to remove the tank and the upper rocker box(s). Definitely replace the INA bearing with a Torrington!!!

Stay with the CV carburetor. They can be tuned to run nicely with mild performance add-ons. Unless you want to toss more money into either an S&S or Mikuni....

As far as the bike just 'quiting': Mine did that once. Hasn't done it again (other when the battery went dead-long story). Never did figure it out, but unless it does it on a daily basis, I would just chalk it up to EVO temperment...

Old 02-26-2017, 07:17 AM
81rat
Road Warrior
Received 438 Likes on 270 Posts

Welcome to the forum and a bike that I think is great
Your engine quitting on you in traffic could have been the Ignition module ( cam sensor ) as they don't care for heat as the miles that you have you are right there for it going bad , maybe not might have just been a fluke
A K&N air filter and jet the carb is tops for that engine and you have one of the best engines made by H-D

Old 02-26-2017, 07:34 AM
g1625s
Advanced

Yes, I forgot to mention the bearing, definitely on the list. I've actually seen the ev27 cheaper than the 13...riding solo I suppose I could get away with it? was just trying to be honest with myself and not buy more cam than I need. I'll keep the factory head pipes for now, honestly just like the look of the dual headpipe, haha!

My buddy let me learn on his '98 flhpi. Fell in love with that bike, except for the fuel injection. This was in 2000. Been on the hunt for an flhp ever since. Gave 6400 for it, everybody said I could have gotten more bike for the money....they just don't get it.

Old 02-26-2017, 09:26 AM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,695 Likes on 1,151 Posts

"What I want: A little more grunt (don't we all...) and reliability."

Continue with your list as is will certainly get you there.

Source what parts you can from HD Those you can't, try to become antiquated with a good Indy. I found mine can as a rule get me motor parts needed faster and with in a reasonable amount of what I'd pay online.

Read the Sticky at the top of the start page for the Evo's " Kee's learns the truth" Lots of good info about cam swap.

My self EV27 or a EV13 as I run Stock push rods Done

For an air filter my Indy has gotten me 2 of theses last year. So far so good and using stock cover
http://www.dragspecialties.com/produ...umber=10110528

WP

Attached Thumbnails 1997 flhp....spend my money please!-sdc10819.jpg  

Last edited by WP50; 02-26-2017 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Add
Old 02-26-2017, 10:03 AM
nyokie
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As for dieing on you check if the recalls were done on the bike, there was a ignition switch recall that caused exactly what you described. I got the repair done for free. If no recall on your year model wouldnt hurt to check the switch contact anyways, they ran full power thru the switch rather than thru a relay so it burns up the contacts over the years.The recall is a new switch and they install relays so switch is a low amp circuit. Go grab you a s&s shorty carb thats a nice upgrade, usually can find a good one used at a swap meet. And I second a 2 into 1 exhaust is the way to go

Last edited by nyokie; 02-26-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:04 AM
g1625s
Advanced

Is that an oilable filter or dry? i will ask around about indy shops. Local dealer thinks 2010 is old, usually won't let anything older past the parking lot....

Old 02-26-2017, 10:43 AM
g1625s
Advanced

And, for what its worth, how serious are the detriments to running a dual head pipe? Big loss in driveability? Clearly, I really like the look and sound, but I'm not willing to take a big step backward. Also, thoughts on ignition options for my goals? Checked my VIN at the harley site, the only open recall points to a fuel line rubbing, but they don't give specifics. I will speak with the dealer directly this week. Thanks to all that have responded, I appreciate the feedback!

Old 02-26-2017, 10:58 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by g1625s
And, for what its worth, how serious are the detriments to running a dual head pipe? Big loss in driveability? Clearly, I really like the look and sound, but I'm not willing to take a big step backward. Also, thoughts on ignition options for my goals? Checked my VIN at the harley site, the only open recall points to a fuel line rubbing, but they don't give specifics. I will speak with the dealer directly this week. Thanks to all that have responded, I appreciate the feedback!
For a daily driver ridden conservatively there aren't any detriments to running true dual.

While the 2-1 is better unless you are riding WOT a lot you really won't notice much difference.

As for cams go with the 13 as that is for a heavier bike.

Old 02-26-2017, 12:18 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,695 Likes on 1,151 Posts

Originally Posted by g1625s
Is that an oilable filter or dry? i will ask around about indy shops. Local dealer thinks 2010 is old, usually won't let anything older past the parking lot....
You clean and oil it just like a K@N

There are some online dealers that can help.

For me it's hard to beat the sound and performance of a 2-1. least on my EVO anyhow

WP

Quick Reply: 1997 flhp....spend my money please!