EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Inner Primary Mainshaft Oil Seal

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 01:11 AM
LowGlyd
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inner Primary Mainshaft Oil Seal

I have a ? for the Master Mechs out there. Im doing a rebuild on my early '84 Fxrs.
Its been a longtime honored tradition toswitch from the engine oiler scavenge systemof the shovel era to the seperated primary oil/engine oil system oflate. This what im doing. I want to put a wet clutch on in place of the old dry clutch. The thing is, inboth of the manuals i haveit doesn't mentionmuch, if anything, about theInner primaryoil seal that should be located on the inside (directly next to the tranny sprocket nut) of the inner primary
I havewhat looks like an oil sealin my rebuild gasket kit that fits perfectly into the detented ring surrounding the hole for the mainshaft to pass through into the primary. I also have what looks like a metal/rubber seal that fits perfectly around the main shaft and fits nicely into the affore mentioned seal that fits into the inner primary.
Im fairly certain that when i disassembled the primary, that there was Nothing back there. I simply attributed that to the fact that it was a "dry clutch" and not much oil would be able to get out of the inner primary case.
My ?...Is there a set of bearings and seals that go around the mainshaft to seal up that hole on the Late '84 model FXRS?
If so, would anyonehappen to know a parts number. Or, do the gaskets that i have fit the bill?
Thanks in advance.
LowGlyd.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:51 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 78 Posts
Default RE: Inner Primary Mainshaft Oil Seal

I had an 84 FXR for many years. It was a wet clutch. The inner primary did have a bearing and a seal that went around the mainshaft. The factory manual I had did cover these parts and provide the part numbers for it.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:39 PM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 275 Likes on 202 Posts

My 1984 FXRT had a wet clutch. I bought it in late 1983 new off the showroom floor. I can't tell you much about it though...as I sold it back in 2000 I believe.

Having said that about the wet clutch.....my friend bought a very early 1984 FXRT about the same time I bought mine. His did have the EVO just like mine....but his indeed did have a dry primary.

That was back when Harley was doing different things. Two Big Twins were still being offered, some were belt drive and some were chain drive, some had dry primary and some had wet primary, and some had round air cleaners/some had the huge rectangle air cleaner cover. 1983-1985....factory definately did some strange combinations. I guess they were still climbing out of the ugly/dark AMF days.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:20 PM
notlost_nc
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 84 Evo has a dry clutch and came with the oilrecovery system you speak of.
I put two plugs in the inner primary on the backside and plugged the oil line.
I add 6 ounces of Spectro Golden American Primary Chaincase oil in the primary.
I'm still runnning the dry clutch. Works great....no more sucking clutch dust into the
oil supply.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:11 PM
LowGlyd
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank You Fellas,
After more research, and a couple hrs on the road tracking local master mechs down, the bearing was missing.
This has, in fact, been the bane of all my troubles. As a result of the bearing being missing, it has mucked my whole clutch system.
I have bearing and seal on the way from the west coast of FL and they should be here by noon.
AndIll be tatering by sundown.

Thanks again for all of the responces.
Your support is greatly appriciated.

Keep the shiney side up.
LG