EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Help needed - FXRS hop-up

Old 09-18-2007, 02:36 PM
PDQHOG
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed - FXRS hop-up

Gents, I'm new to forum and also new to the '90 FXRS I just bought. I'm familiar with TC's but not EVO's and amlooking forwardto building up this one. I'm in the process of a tear down right now and would like to hear from you FXR guys as to what changesyou would recommend to build a strong running street bike?I'm currently planning on changing tosingle fire ignition, some type of cam (?) and a little bump in compression. I know nothing of the quirks (they all have 'em right?) with this bike so anysuggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:05 PM
Sandhog
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Help needed - FXRS hop-up

OK its been a while since I did mine but here goes.
For a cam,try to stick with Andrews products.I have an EV3 in mine and its been flawless since the install.Im sure they have more up to date grinds now that may be better.The quality is a+
Single fire ignition I couldnt comment on,but Ive always ran the regular dual fire without troublesas have many here.Justusetop of the line stuff and youll do fine.
Carb,well Mikuni or Screaming Eagle's are both great choices.Ive seen people run from 40's to 45's,and once ya gettem jetted they are trouble free.
Pipes,if your after performance,try a 2 into 1 setup.I have Supertrapp SS on mine and they are great.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:14 PM
lowglide88
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would also suggest an Andrews cam, EV-27 is a good choice if you're going with the stock heads, a set of 10:1 pistons from Wiseco,a two into one exhaust is best choice for performance,but if you don't like the look(I personally don't) maybe Hooker step-tuned pipes or Vance/Hines will work good also.I have an 88' FXRS I put S&S hot set up kit(heads,matched pistons,cam and carb)but I'm runnin' 1 3/4 drags..(losin alittle power..luv the sound though) I'm happy with it...depends on how much you wanna spend..I think the hot set up is up around $1600.00

Old 10-28-2007, 11:01 PM
nzbernie
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi i have an 88 FXRS that i have done up
Jims Crank pin and Hydrosolid lifters ,Wiesco flat top pistons and Edelbrock heads , S&S pushrods and HVHP oil pump, EV27 cam , Mikuni 42 carb and a Crane Hi4 single fire ingnitionalso had the whole lot balanced when apart goes real well
Be aware that the cases around that time where prone to cracking
It depends on what type of riding you are gonna do as what compression you end up going for mine is for general riding so i stuck to 9.5 max even at that she don't like the lower octane fuels
i hope this helps Bernie

Old 01-20-2008, 04:08 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

ORIGINAL: nzbernie

Be aware that the cases around that time where prone to cracking
Bernie,

I have heard that before. I have a 1990 Evo and am thinking of having the cases bored out. What is the problem with these engines, poor quality or lack of metal in that area, any idea?

Old 01-20-2008, 04:59 PM
87customfxrs
3rd Gear

Greetings all. I'm also new to the forum. Been reading...just not posting.

Isecond the S&S Hot Setup. Great product.My last evodynoed mid 90's. Now I have a sweet custom '87 FXRS with a 113ci that will dyno 125+hp/125+lbs-ft.

Good Luck and Best Regards.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:35 PM
1yrb4hd
Banned Camp

Bullet proof....check out their 120" motor.

http://www.pm2powertrainltd.com/index.htm

Old 01-20-2008, 05:57 PM
big mahk
Novice

I agree with the S&S Hot Set Up or any of the kits where the components have been put together as a unit. My FXR4 was built by a legendary wrench up in Alaska and it runs great. 90+ hp and dead reliable. All Screamin' Eagle except the Mikuni 42 and the pipes. HD put a lot of work into trying and developing many different combinations of their SE parts and they know what works with what but your wrench has to be able to do a Vulcan Mind Meld with the Factory holy men to get that kind of knowledge. Otherwise I'd go with the kits. Less frustrations and proven results. S&S, Branch Flowmetrics, Zippers, JMS,Merch, etc. Take your pick. Don't do it piece meal unless you really know what you're doing.

I've read that the '89-early '93 Evo cases had casting and machining problems. Some developed cracks near the lifterblocks while others were porous and could even seep oil right through the cases. Having said this there are many, many strong running modified Evos of that era on the road today. What to do?....Aftermarket cases like S&S or Delkron cost about $1100(I think) if you want to bore it out or stroke it. My FXR4 is 80ci and it takes a real strong TC to even think about keeping up with it. It's a little beast! Remember your FXR is lighter by 40-80lbs than a Dyna.

Good Luck

Old 01-20-2008, 08:52 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,619 Likes on 2,094 Posts

Here's a link to Wood Performance. The have quite a few Evo builds with the dyno sheets ...

http://www.woodcarbs.com/dynoruns.htm

I agree with what the others wrote about picking individual parts, go with a proven configuration.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:59 PM
nzbernie
Advanced

Not too sure what the problem was but they tended to crack around the case holes the years 89-92 i think where the problem years , it feel it was due to poor casting .still a good motor though Bernie