EVO All Evo Model Discussion

evo motor

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 07:52 PM
CNC
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default evo motor

I have a 93 evo motor with 45000 mi. I've been kicking around the idea of ether rebuling my motor or buying a new bigger 96' or maybe bigger. What do you think?

Old 09-18-2007, 08:21 PM
fr21555
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: evo motor

I can't speak to the bigger motor idea but if you decide to keep the 80" I would suggest going the route I took with my '92 at 65k. I installed SE heads, pistons, new barrels and a hotter cam (SE-11). With 45k I would also replace the tappets, as they're usually not great after 35k miles- cheap insurance anyway. My bike has a like new feel, with more power but mostly stock appearance. I haven't regretted decision and have put about 15k on motor since. Much more fun now but like they say, "there's no replacement for displacement". Good luck if you go with bigger motor, I know folks that have put them in and absolutley love the 96".

Old 09-19-2007, 06:06 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I have had a 124" now for 5 yrs and will never go back.My RK is amazing with the added cubic inches.Good Luck

Old 09-19-2007, 07:21 AM
dert
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are not having any trouble with the motor,why tear into it? unless you just want to hop it up..evo is a good motor without any mods.my '92 has well over 60,000 and no plans to touch it...bone stock and runs grea

Old 09-19-2007, 02:41 PM
DirtyDave
Tourer

ORIGINAL: CNC

I have a 93 evo motor with 45000 mi. I've been kicking around the idea of ether rebuling my motor or buying a new bigger 96' or maybe bigger. What do you think?
Just getting it broke in..............mine had over 150,000miles before it needed to be rebuilt.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:04 PM
Locutions
Intermediate

Speaking from experience, I'd rebuildthe motor throughHD. You can get a remanufactured motor to the original spec's with a one year warrenty. The cost varies but well worth it. After putting 130k~ on my '85I had a reman installed. Actually, because of the age and miles, they gave me a complete new motor without using any of the old parts.

Mark

Old 09-19-2007, 03:55 PM
CNC
1st Gear

I'm wanting to add hp. to the motor. Its not bad with just my self but when I add a
passenger it is realy slow.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:36 PM
pajoe
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I ride 2 up all the time.

I had the top end done on our '90 Ultra last fall; with 10:1 pistons, some head work with bigger valves, adjustable pushrods, Andrews ev-27 cam and Crane Hi-4 ignition. They said it should be the 80 - 85 hp range - but I never had it on the dyno. I do know it feels much better than before, a lot more fun to ride.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:00 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

ORIGINAL: CNC..I have a 93 evo motor with 45000 mi. I've been kicking around the idea of ether rebuling my motor or buying a new bigger 96' or maybe bigger. What do you think?
45K? Not many miles, but I can see where it 'might' need a few things attended to. I'm gonna assume you've got a basically stock motor because you're not pleased with the two up performance.

Stock motor first:
Go through the engine, clean up the jugs with whatever overbore is necessary, raise the compression to 9.5:1 (the stock EVO is like 8.9:1), add an Andrews EV27 cam (good idle, good milage, great mid range power where you want it), replace the lifters if necessary, get the heads redone and street ported, add adecent exhaust system, aftermarket ignition,andget thestock CV carb tuned on a dyno. 85+hp, 85+tq. Mileage will still be in themid to high forties and you won't lose any reliability. I'm running this basic setup on my 93 FLHS, I have zero power problems riding two up, loaded,75mph into a headwind and uphill passing anything that can't keep up.

Big Engine:
S&S crate motor. Pull the stock engine and put it ona shelf, installone of these beauties and don't look back. Why S&S?Why not? They are pretty much 'The Standard' when it comes to V-Twins. Depending on what you're riding style is, will pretty much dictate how big and bad you go with the motor.You won't be disappointed with their 96" engine.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:20 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree with all you say. Now may I give a budget solution?

If the engine runs great, doesn't hog oil, etc. and you just want noticeably more power, you could:

1. Put in an Andrews EV27 cam and new Torrington bearings. It's time to replace the stock bearings anyway so why not a cam while you have the stock one out. Replace lifters if they show any wear.

2. Be sure you have good performance exhaust.

3. Be sure you have a performance air cleaner such as a screamin eagle.

4. Aftermarket ignition.

5. Have a good shop jet and tune a CV carb to match what you did above.

This would be what's called Stage 2, and you will really feel it in the seat of your pants. No loss in driveability or dependability. In fact it should be more dependable due to better ignition, carb rework etc. You shouldn't notice a huge loss in fuel economy.

Just my $.02, again if on a budget.

Quick Reply: evo motor