Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 10:00 PM
89Classic
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crate Motor or Factory Reman

Howdy

I want to know which is the better thing to do, buy a Crate Motor or have mine
Remanufactured.. It's a 1989 flhtc. The speedo is showing 88k miles and I think they are not the right miles. On my last trip on it,( was last july ) comeing back home i started hearing a kinda knocking sound on the cam side, it sounded like it was in the cam cover. I parked it when I got home and didn't do any thing tell 3 days ago, i pulled the cam cover off and seen that the cam bearing was badly wore and also the Pinion Shaft bearing was also wore bad, and the part of the pinion shaft that rides in the bearing don't look to good. So it's my guess that the rest of the bottom end is the same way. So i'm going to do one of two things, put a crate motor in it or have the old one remand. I watched the reman deal on the HD site, it says the HD shop here has to remove the motor and ship it to the reman factory, I don't want the hd shop to remove the motor, why can't i remove the motor and take it to the HD shop so they can send it to the reman factory.

thanks for any replys...

Old 12-19-2007, 10:18 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Crate Motor or Factory Reman

Buddy just had his 97 RK done after 223k miles. The dealer has to remove and install it beacuse they're "certified" to do so. He got a 12 month warranty. Was about 4200 or so and took a month. Dealer did not reflash his ecm initially and he had some problems like it shutting down and running on one cylinder. They put on new sensors and new alternator, and lot sof other stuff because they di dnot get a baseline for his new engine on hte ecm. Once they flashed the ecm, it runs strong.

One word of caution,If you have a cam or adjustible pushrods or anything other than stock, have it removed and stock stuff sent. He has been reeally happy since they finally got his bike straight. They did give him free routine services for the year for his trouble. Ha says he'd do it agin if he needed a rebuild.

Bubba

Old 12-20-2007, 07:10 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,955 Likes on 21,313 Posts

Depends on how much $ ya got and how many ponies ya want. If neither is a problem, then go with a ultima motor. You can go fast, and it is a very reliable and dependable motor. Evo motors are pooches out of the box, 47-52 horses. MAX. Get a motor where you can at least get 80 ponies preferably more. It'll be alot more fun too.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:39 AM
DirtyDave
Tourer

Kendal Johnson use to remanufacture evo engines. I don't know if he still does. You take it out and ship. Around the same price for the factory remanufacture minus the shop fee for taking it out and putting it back in.The Factory puts the motor back to stock factory spects and Kendall makes it better then that. I'm sure there are others but would get some refrences before sending it to anyone.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:40 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,619 Likes on 2,094 Posts

I'd go with a performance engine vs. stock and honestly I think you could find a good indy shop that would make the performance price about the same as the dealer installed reman Evo.

Kendall Johnson engines rock. I'll see if I can find my dyno sheet in the shop - it's pumping 86 Hp and 94 Tq. It will smoke the kids TC 88 stage 1 all day and I've also run away from another 88 build. Haven't tried a 96 yet.

One of my buddies saidit pulls as hard as hisstock 113 Big Dog. I'd encourage you to look around before you make a decision because it will put ahuge smile on your face everytime you twist that throttle.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:44 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If I were in your position, I would get the biggest, badest crate engine I could stuff in there.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:25 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

You can go as big as 131" without frame mods.Big power requires more fuel,exhaust and clutch upgrade at least.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:40 PM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 275 Likes on 202 Posts

I think ALOT depends on how much $$ and time you have. If money were no option, then I would go for the biggest baddest engine you can find. If you have experience, then rebuild it yourself.

My 1998 FLHTC has just a little 181,000 miles and it is beginning to get weak. I'll be doing something next year with it....I will however buy a crate motor, get it remanufactured, or buy an S&S motor. Something has to happen......I am not going for power, just high mileage with realibilty with excellent fuel economy. Since I have another Electra Glide to ride, I may even just rebuild it myself. I don't know yet.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:54 PM
89Classic
6th Gear

Thanks guys for the info..

But i really don't need all that extra hp, stock is fine for me, i'm never in no hurry to get where i'm going. But what bothers me is the crate motor is a 99 model right, well my motor is rubber mounted and if i remember right when i was last at the hd shop here, as in it's 100 miles away, the crate motor they had there looked just like the one in my wifes 93 FXSTC which is bolted to the frame. The front motor mount on the FLHTC looks longer than the one on the FXSTC, so will this 99 crate motor fit into the frame of my bike.
As for $$$, i just want to save as much as i can...

my FLHTC
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...cture1_079.jpg

My wifes FXSTC
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...Picture001.jpg

Old 12-20-2007, 09:29 PM
paco
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hello,

same motor......just put a el bruto 107" ultima in my 1990 electraglide. bolted right up and runs very well. just my opinion, but if you don't want hp and u don't want to go fast just do the $2500 remanufacture and take it out and put it back yourself. save heap money. jmho.

later.................

Quick Reply: Crate Motor or Factory Reman