EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Detachble tour pak SUCCESS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Lee n Tj
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detachble tour pak SUCCESS!!!

For any interested, completed installing a detachable tour pak and sissy bar on my 93 Ultra. I also took off the CB since it no longer functions due to instalation of a Biketronics radio kit. FYI, the CB =7lbs and tour pak = 45lbs, total 52 lbs lighter and all off the top. Makes a nice difference with the bike for around town. Went to local dealer and give parts guy the first part#, he asked what bike this was going on and told me it would not fit, and each time I gave another part# we would repeat "Ain't gonna fit". Feel like taking it down and showing him it fits fine, but I'm sure he could really care less. Had to buy 4 bolts due to lenght or thread difference and a rear support bar. Anyone interested you will like the flexibility, a big difference I think.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:03 PM
L234D
Cruiser
Default RE: Detachble tour pak SUCCESS!!!

If you can post some pics

Thanks

Old 03-10-2008, 03:40 PM
92Fatty
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I love adding parts that the parts man says doesn't fit! Congrats. That is what makes it Your custom bike. Kent

Old 03-10-2008, 08:58 PM
4x4Given
Tourer

Pics and some more details (like part numbers) would be really helpful. I'm in the process of converting my 95 Ultra into a "convertible" Ultra / Street Glide. Kind of like having my cake and eating it too....

Old 03-11-2008, 11:16 AM
92classic
Banned

I did mine sure cleaned it up a bunch..

Old 03-12-2008, 09:50 PM
wjl24
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

There is another way to do this with out spending all the $$ on the quick disconnect hardware. I bought a part number 53405-87B on ebay. It's a luggage rack with backrest. I think it's from a Road King. The pad that fits it is 52548-87B.
There are 4 bolts holding the tour pack to the mounting plate. Take it off and the luggage rack / backrest bolts right on. Takes me about 1/2 hour to do. Most of the time is wires. I didn't move my antennas though. I don't use my CB and you can use a fairing antenna which is hidden in the fairing for the radio.
Since I did this I leave the tour pack off most of the time. Even on weekend rides I don't need it. But if I'm going on a long haul I pop it on and go.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:56 PM
wjl24
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just looked on ebay. There is one for sale. (by the way, it's not mine or anyone I know)
Item number: 300206751413
There may be others, I just looked real quick and saw this one.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:39 PM
ToWhlRidr
Advanced

I had a similar situation with my 96 FLHTCI. I asked the dealer about the 97+ detachable hardware and rack. I was told
it would not work. The only major problem was there was not a drilled hole in the rear fender for the new seat. Otherwise
I installed the hardware I purchased from Ebay and I love it.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:32 AM
4x4Given
Tourer

I'm definitely going the factory quick detacheable route, but using the approach of have a quick detach luggage rack / backrest with the option of bolting the TourPack onto the luggage rack. My wife has the factory quick release setup on her Sportster and we really like that.

Anyway, here a before and (sort of) after of mine. Still got a ways to go to get to the Street Glide look though.

And here's how it looks today...

Old 03-15-2008, 07:33 PM
ToWhlRidr
Advanced

I love the color of your bike 4x4Given. I am thinking of painting mine next winter. Here is the pic after I installed the detachable hardware. I also
purchased a Mustang solo seat and fender bib that I have to install. I ordered a replacement console as well. I am waiting for it to show on Monday.

Quick Reply: Detachble tour pak SUCCESS!!!