Intro/Metal in oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 12:28 AM
BDS
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intro/Metal in oil

Hello everyone,

I'm not so new here, I have been reading threads here for some time. I would like to take this time to thank everyone for all the information that youprovide to everyone. Thank you. I hope someone can give me a little guidance with my problem that I am about to discribe.

I have a 99 FXST with 65K on the motor. When the bike had 20K on it I swapped out the stock cam, lifters, and rockers with an EV27, Jim’s big axel lifters, and SE roller tip rockers respectively.

This all started when I set out to change my lifters after 45K. I started by draining my oil, when I removed the filter I noticed something in the filter housing where the oil from the engine enters the filter. I found it was metal chips/shaving’s. They were very small, but distinguishable, it was enough to almost cover my pinky nail. I checked them with a magnet and found that they were steel. I have never seen this before. Now I remove the lifter screen, same thing, but here there are only 4 or 5 pieces of metal, and yes they are steel. Once again, in the 65K miles I have on this engine, I have never found metal anywhere. At this time I decided to cut open the oil filter and see what is going on inside. Yep, its full of metal, all steel. The filter media looks like brown metallic paint.

At this point I proceed to disassembly. This includes the oil pump, camshaft and rocker arms. I found no abnormal wear patterns. As a matter of fact, wear was almost non-existent, just nicely polished smooth surfaces. Everything from the valve stem tips to the pinion gear looked surprisingly good to say the least. I would have expected a little more wear. I now decided not to install the new lifters until I can find out what is creating the metal, so I put the engine back together. After assembly I topped it off with oil and a new filter and did a compression check, that looked good too; 145 on the front and 150 on the rear. I now take the bike out for a test ride, I did about 15 miles and removed the filter and found more metal in the housing where the oil enters the filter.

At this point I don’t know where I stand. My question to you all is. Have I missed something on the top end, or is splitting the cases the next step? If I have to open up the cases I’m thinking about the HD remanufacturing program. Anyone have any experience or know of anyone that has taken advantage of this program? $2195 I think is a great deal on a black and chrome engine. Also, I currently have an EV27, I was thinking about putting an EV38 in the new engine if I should have to go that route, I have read that it comes in at 2200 vs. the 27’s 2000. What do you think?

Thanks in advance for any input anyone can provide.
[sm=usa.gif] [sm=icon_guiness.gif]

Old 04-17-2008, 08:17 AM
Locutions
Intermediate
Default RE: Intro/Metal in oil

Sorry to hear that you've gone through all that and still haven't located the issue. Commenting on the remanufacturedmotor, its the best deal out...basically getting a new motorwith warrentee. After 100k+ miles Ideveloped an oil seal leak in the lower casing, dumping oil into the primary. I replaced witha reman'd motor and haven't had a problem to date...been several years now. One catch...wait untio the 1 year warrentee expires before to alter anything. Harley is very specific and will void all future repairs if you change anything on themotor.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:31 AM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just went through the same thing with 40,000 on a Twincam. I posted, but nobody else seems to have had an issue. The main difference was my oil pump was scarred. I pulled the barrels and looked into the case. Swabbed the case with a magnet and got nothing. Spins over with no odd noises.

I put in a new pump and lifters and have only got a few miles on it so far. Fingers crossed.

A guy I met said the pumps only last 40,000, but I have not heard that from anyone else.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:27 AM
BDS
6th Gear

Locutions,

Thanks for the info on the reman engine. How many miles do you have on it so far? As far as mods go, the dealer said if they dothe mods, it will be covered. So I am assuming (maybe I shouldn't) if I let them put in a cam upon instalation, there won't be any warrenty issues. I will look into that further. Thanks again.

Liltrk,

Where did you notice the metal, in the oil filter housing? If you saw the metal and did not find the real source, beware how far you venture away from home. Monitor your oil closely. As far as your pump goes, I don't believe that 40K story. If it were true you would be reading about that all over the net. I guess it would be like the lifter issue.

Anyway, thanks for the replies guys. Anybody know anything about the EV38 cam vs the EV27?

Old 04-17-2008, 10:09 AM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First indication was on the magnet in the drain plug. Then I cut the filter open and found more there. The filter housing itself looked clean. Obviously, the filter system was doing its job as the crankcase was clean. The cams and gears looked great, not a mark. The lifters looked good, but I replaced them as well as the cam bearings. Only the oil pump was damaged as far as I can tell.

Time will tell. I will post again after riding a bit more.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:40 PM
BDS
6th Gear

Locutions,

I spoke with the service manager today about warranty issues. He said if there is a problem with the motor with the other than stock cam installed, yes the national warranty is void. However, if they install the cam and there is a problem they will cover the all damage at their location. Meaning, if I'm on the road and it breaks, I need to transport the bike back to my servicing dealer for the warranty repair. I thought about that, and figured thats what I would probably do anyway if I had a major break down somewhere. Its something to think about either way.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:45 PM
Locutions
Intermediate

Hello,

I've put about 7000 on the motor and haven't had an issue. One thing to do is have the dealer give you a specific outline for service with the new motor. If something happens, the manufacture will require the service record to confirm the motor was serviced as required. If I'm understanding what the dealer is willing to cover, it's good to hear they will work with you regarding modifiying the original manufactured design. It sounds like the dealer is willing to eat the cost if there are any issues, that's good and get that in writing. Also, if they haven't quoted you a book rate toinstall the new motorits around 5-8 hrs. provided there are no other issues or changes.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:25 PM
BDS
6th Gear

We discussed the details about what I want, and he is currently working up an itemized estimate on what the cost will be. I hope the R&R labor is only 5-8 hours. At $80 per hour it adds up fast.

[sm=usa.gif][sm=icon_guiness.gif]