EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Help! Harley-Davidson Evo Engine Problem

Old 07-17-2008, 11:40 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,681 Likes on 1,338 Posts
Default RE: Help! Harley-Davidson Evo Engine Problem

And as johntheone says, check your breather too.&nbsp\\; Is the timing OK on it?&nbsp\\; Line not plugged?

Old 07-17-2008, 02:12 PM
jaro
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Dr.Hess, your hints will be surely useful.
&nbsp\\;
I checked already johntheone&nbsp\\;conception. Breather line is free (not plugged) and timing is OK. /Breather valve is standard (plastic)./
...I have early Evo -&nbsp\\;bottom-breather engine (not heads breathing!). Maybe has someone&nbsp\\;early Evo???
&nbsp\\;
...If piston rings be worn out, then combustion gases get to engine case...
I wonder, or so good static cylinder pressure (about 145 PSI)&nbsp\\;can be near&nbsp\\;worn out piston&nbsp\\;rings???

Old 07-17-2008, 06:47 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,206 Likes on 460 Posts

If replacing the seal does not work and there is no obvious crack, expect to find a worn out main bearing, or it is leaking past the race.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Locutions
Intermediate

The issue is likely to be the crank seal...which you cannot replace, the seal is pressed when the cases are made and not repairable... per HD.&nbsp\\; My buddy had a 1990 FLHT with a similar issue.&nbsp\\; Under warranty&nbsp\\;HD fixed the issue with a new cases (parts and labor)...why? because the crank bearing tolerance was manufactured wrong in late '89 and 90 models.&nbsp\\; Therefore, oil will pass into the primary, HD never issued an "out right" recall&nbsp\\;but did&nbsp\\;fix the bikes on an as needed bases.&nbsp\\; The defect was noted in the TSB Feb 1990.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;You can call HD (not a dealer...they don't know jack) and they will confirm the issue.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
To test...pull the primary completely, pressurize the cases with air (don't need alot of pressure) apply soapy water around the crank seal...most likely you&nbsp\\;will see bubbles.&nbsp\\; Although, lets hope&nbsp\\;this is not the problem.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;

Old 07-18-2008, 06:44 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,206 Likes on 460 Posts

ORIGINAL: Locutions

The issue is likely to be the crank seal...which you cannot replace, the seal is pressed when the cases are made and not repairable... per HD.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; My buddy had a 1990 FLHT with a similar issue.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Under warranty&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;HD fixed the issue with a new cases (parts and labor)...why? because the crank bearing tolerance was manufactured wrong in late '89 and 90 models.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Therefore, oil will pass into the primary, HD never issued an "out right" recall&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;but did&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;fix the bikes on an as needed bases.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; The defect was noted in the TSB Feb 1990.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;You can call HD (not a dealer...they don't know jack) and they will confirm the issue.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
To test...pull the primary completely, pressurize the cases with air (don't need alot of pressure) apply soapy water around the crank seal...most likely you&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;will see bubbles.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Although, lets hope&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;this is not the problem.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I think you mean the race.&nbsp\\; The seal is on the outside and is easily replaced.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:27 AM
Locutions
Intermediate

Ooops! My bad...you are correct Pococj...I mean race.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-19-2008, 01:31 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Just my .02, I'd replace that bottom breather valve first. It may not be the problem but they do go bad, they are cheap and easy. Won't hurt to have a new one anyway.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:33 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I would also check or replace all of the breather hoses for the h3ll of it. Sometime they can plug up. Even if the breather or hoses don't solve it, it's good cheap maintenance.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:13 AM
jaro
6th Gear

Hi!
pococj, Locutions
&nbsp\\;
what it marks word: "race", about which you write???
I think you mean the race. The seal is on the outside and is easily replaced.
My technical English is not good...

&nbsp\\;
Have You&nbsp\\;on thought "bearing race"???
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Stkman
Advanced

&nbsp\\;STD can replace the seal and race on your engine case, it's a up grade they do, had it done on my cases (I have a 90 FLH).&nbsp\\; You will need to split the cases and send both&nbsp\\;sides in.&nbsp\\; But before I did that I would make sure nothing else could be causing your problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help! Harley-Davidson Evo Engine Problem