EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Dying Breed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 10:17 AM
rivercityslim
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Dying Breed?

I attended a huge charity ride here in CT yesterday -- somewhere around four to five thousand bikes were in the field at one time, an impressive sight (foolishly left the camera at home). I don't know how many miles the column stretched once the ride got rolling, but it was long for sure -- lotta bikes.

But what I noticed while casually strolling around and scoping out the other bikes was that:

a)Out of the thousands of bikes there, probably 98% were Harleys.

b)Out of that number, easily more than 95% of the Big Twins were twin cams, with, predictably, Softails and Road Kings predominating.

c)I only saw one (1) shovel. I'm sure there must have been more (obviously I didn't see all 5,000 bikes), but I personally saw only the one. I didn't see a single Pan, Knuckle or Flathead. OK, those are all considered antiques now.

But what happened to all the Evos?

Old 08-25-2008, 10:39 AM
kbear
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See no evo, hear no evo, speak no evo...Sorry door was open...

Old 08-25-2008, 12:07 PM
fxstcguy98
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, that's because we live on EVO Island in the Sea of Twin Cam. HD stepped up production for the twin cams, remember when you had to be on a waiting list to buy a bike, now you can walk in and just buy one right off the floor and they have 10 more just like it in the warehouse.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Kamil
Advanced

Originally Posted by rivercityslim
But what happened to all the Evos?
Evo is ugly, it dosn`t have wide tire (skinny 130 in the rear), it is only 80 CID, under 70 HP, it`s needs more maitenance

I don`t know how it is in the USA (easier to get parts than here) but Evos are old (Last Evo was produced in 2000 - 8 years agoo). Most of people who rides don`t want to work on bikes but they want ride. TC is almost trouble free. On my Super Glide (had 2001 FXD) I was just replacing oils. On my curent ride 1993 FXR I still need to do something. Nothing serious - intake manifold gasket, stator was burned , now it started to leaking oil from primary (need new gasket). The starter also need inspections. And both bikes FXD and FXR has about the same mileage 38k miles.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:06 PM
rivercityslim
Road Master

Originally Posted by Kamil
Evo is ugly.
Had your eyes checked lately? Sounds like you might have a vision issue... I think this is beautiful:

Personally, I take (possibly perverse) pleasure and pride in the fact that my ride is not just another new twinkie, and that I'm not just another noob with a big wallet. Sort of like the attitude I had when I rode my old 60's Triumphs into the 90's -- a breed apart and all that.

Last edited by rivercityslim; 08-25-2008 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,693 Likes on 1,341 Posts

ZOMG!!! MY HARLEY IS LEAKING OIL!!!! And, wait for it... IT'S ONLY 15 YEARS OLD!!!

Slim, I've noticed that the majority of bikes out there are Twinkies too, these days. I have no desire to get one. The bikes we have do everything we want.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:26 PM
rivercityslim
Road Master

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
I've noticed that the majority of bikes out there are Twinkies too, these days.
I guess it's to be expected, being that production has increased and they have been cranking them out for 8 years now. But it was a seriously lopsided percentage I saw out there yesterday; I find it hard to believe that all the bikes produced in the prior 14 (?) years of Evo production have just disappeared.

If they've all been junked, where the hell are they? I may need some parts...

Old 08-25-2008, 02:29 PM
Kamil
Advanced

Originally Posted by rivercityslim
Had your eyes checked lately? Sounds like you might have a vision issue... I think this is beautiful:.
You are right nice bike.

But probably you have something with vision . Did you noticed those small " "? I think it will explain something

I`m also a Evo owner and this bike is my daily ride.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:31 PM
mp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It's surprising to me, too, especially considering all the problems Twin Cams have (the excessively high running temps in particular). And no one throws away a Harley, so those Evos are still out there somewhere.
You can't buy a new Evo, though, and a lot of guys have to have new stuff, no matter how inferior. And, let's face it, a lot of used bikes have been beat to $#!+. I'm glad I got an Evo back in '92, because I wouldn't consider buying a Twin Cam. I am a fan of a lot of the new styling, the Dark Customs in particular, but I can't see buying the disposable engine the Twin Cam has become, with its inferior main engine bearing and goofy cam design. The six speed tranny is a nightmare as well.
A lot of these newbies just don't know any better, like the guy that mentions the too-skinny tires on older bikes. He doesn't even have a clue that the fat tire's weight takes away horsepower and ride quality and that the width hurts handling. It's all about looks for most people. Although why anyone thinks a tire that's wider than the gas tank looks good........
"Does this tire make my *** look big?"
"I dunno honey, but it does make your brain look small."

Old 08-25-2008, 02:42 PM
Brettfullthrottle
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I currently own a 05 Electraglide as well as recently purchasing a 1996 Wide Glide. I absolutely LOVE MY EVO!!!! It has more soul than a Twin Cam. It seems more simple....uncomplicated. I hope to treasure it for a long time.
As far as See no EVO hear no EVO.....I used to work at a dealership. I am used to comments like that-people have the tendency to be self rightous.......better them than me

Quick Reply: Dying Breed?