EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Ultima 113: To EPA or not to EPA

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 03:51 AM
pajoe
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Ultima 113: To EPA or not to EPA

that is the question, do I wait until I can get a EPA approved model with a better warranty or go for the competition model?

It looks like the Ultima 113 currently comes in two models, the new EPA approved with a 2 year 24,000 mile warranty or the 113 that was previously sold with 1 year,12,000 mile warranty. I am guessing that all the fellows saying the Ultima 113 is the best bang for the buck in the Ultima lineup have the non-EPA approved engine with the 1 year warranty. I downloaded the manual and it really does not say what is different - but the EPA model does have a better warranty, twice that of the competition model.

The salesperson from JIREH said the model they sell has the 1 year warranty and every web site I checked also lists it as 1 year warranty so perhaps the new EPA models with 2 year warranty have not reached the stores yet.

http://www.ultimaproducts.com/epaengines.html

I would sooner have a better warranty but if the competition model (Not EPA approved/1 year warranty) model is made differently but is the one that has the best reputation, that is the one I will consider best for now. My concern is the new EPA model may have some better components to make Ultima give it a 2 year warranty. I have been reading about Ultima engines and it does appear they are constantly improving them.

Does anyone have any actual information on the differences?

Old 10-23-2008, 04:36 AM
Kamil
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn`t find info what are differences between EPA and nonEPA engines.. Maybe EPA motor has diffrent cam, compresion (lower HP) etc??

Old 10-23-2008, 05:45 PM
pajoe
Road Captain

I really would like to know what difference there are, perhaps one of the changes really improved the life expectancy because they will now have 2 year warranty. I have been in contact with Jireh but my question about the the EPA and two year warranty was ignored, they just said the Ultima 113 has a 1 year warranty..

Old 10-23-2008, 08:28 PM
TheGoat
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call Midwest Motors directly. I would think it is less horsepower as it is a EPA motor, but what do I know. I looked around as well and found nothing. Are the prices the same?

Old 10-24-2008, 03:17 AM
pajoe
Road Captain

I haven't found prices or specifications that are any different. In the manual you download it does mention a EPA sticker that you affix to the down tubes.

On Edit: I contacted Jireh and it appears the price of the Ultima 113 EPA model is the same as the NON-EPA model. They had a Non-EPA model in stock but had to order an EPA Model which will take a couple weeks. I went with the EPA model hoping it would have a better lifespan, but still not sure, - I was told I can change my order if I change my mind and want the NON-EPA model. The salespeople had no idea what was different but guess it would have a little less power.

Last edited by pajoe; 10-24-2008 at 05:26 PM.