EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Scratched Pushrods & Bad Lifter

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 06:04 AM
96ApeKing
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratched Pushrods & Bad Lifter

Had a tapping noise in the mornings when I start up cold recently. This is about a mth after I did a cam change(EV27), adjustable MadDog pushrods, lifters, Torrington Cam Bearing and all other shims and seals.. Sure sounded like the lifters have gone bad after a mth and sure one of them did!

Now before I got to my lifters, I took out the pushrods and saw that the one which is above the broken lifter is stratched rather badly around the middle section. The pushrods are red and they're scratched silver.

Is the scratched pushrods caused by the lifter failure or is something in the pushrods' way which is causing the pushrod to have some kind of 'uneven' contact on the lifter causing it to fail?

Thanks!

Old 10-10-2008, 06:05 AM
96ApeKing
Cruiser

Oh forgot to add, it's a 96 Road King.. Carb

Old 10-10-2008, 06:57 AM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Broken lifter ? Did the roller break or did the unit fail to pump up ? The scrapping on the pushrod in the middle would explain a failed lifter Were they harley lifters?

Old 10-10-2008, 07:30 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Scratching/scraping is from a clearance issue. This can be caused by the change in the geometry from the new cams, the pushrods being a larger diameter, or from the the pushrod flexing. Take a look inside the pushrod tube and see if there is something that might be causing this as that would be the easiest fix. Also if the lifter was failing to "pump up" that would allow the pushrod to move around slightly. Hope this helps.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:02 PM
96ApeKing
Cruiser

The roller broke. And nope they were not Harley lifters. Got them off Ebay. The ones I'm using now are Crane lifters.

I noticed the pushrods are slightly thicker than the original ones. I trimmed the bottom of the chrome pushrod cover.. I've got no idea what that part is but it seems to be the only cause of the scratches if the pushrod were to slant even VERY slightly to the front. The first pushrod that is... It's already at a very sharp angle.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:37 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,672 Likes on 1,091 Posts

MadDog pushtubes are like some Andrews, a version of Rivera, RevTech and others - they're a LOT fatter to allow for a strong, lightweight tube with enough room to effect the "fully adjustable" or timesaver feature. Rubbing the inner pushtube cover isn't unusual with those types of rods and had nothing to do with your tappet failure. Just got a bad one, that's all.

As mentioned in an earlier post, if the lifter was "down" at any point, it would allow the disc in the top to wiggle enough to let the rod contact the cover, but most likely it was simply a clearance issue with the cover and you did the right thing to "open it up" a little. The scratchs shouldn't hurt anything assuming it only went thru the paint and not deeply into the metal of the pushrod. But if it did, I'd seriously consider replacement.

As with anything built light and super strong at the same time, any compromise of the integrity of the structure is a recipe for failure at some point.

And just gotta add - you can't beat genuine HD lifters for the money - about 145.00 for 4. And before I get crucified, I'm running Jim's Big Rollor tappets. But for the money, I'll go back with HD whenever I go into anything on that side of the engine, regardless.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:16 PM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by t150vej
And just gotta add - you can't beat genuine HD lifters for the money - about 145.00 for 4. And before I get crucified, I'm running Jim's Big Rollor tappets. But for the money, I'll go back with HD whenever I go into anything on that side of the engine, regardless.
I just got mine from Zannotti's, delivered to my door, for $105..

Old 10-11-2008, 01:37 AM
96ApeKing
Cruiser

Thanks.. hope the problem is solved. Have yet to start it up today.

You guys got it good over there! I'm in Asia and the Dealer charges much MORE than double the 145 for 4! I have no idea and have never bothered asking them but an indy and some other people told me it's like close to US$400 for 4!

I get all my parts ordered from Zanotti or Ebay. A Road King(FLHR) costs abt US$31000 and a CVO Ultra Glide Classic would put you back about 50grand. Yeah they said it's the shipping costs!

09 Touring models are cheaper compared to 08s right? Wrong! They're about 2000 more here!

Old 12-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Photo John
Intermediate

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but did you end up junking the ebay parts and installing the Harley parts?

Last edited by Photo John; 12-11-2008 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:38 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,672 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Originally Posted by Photo John
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but did you end up junking the ebay parts and installing the Harley parts?
You're right - old thread...

Buying from what guy?

Quick Reply: Scratched Pushrods & Bad Lifter