EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Ultima 127 problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 01:17 PM
coltsfan
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by prodrag1320
ive got a 127" in my `97 FLH,no probs.but we get them unassembled and assemble them in house,by the way coltsfan,if your ever down in the bloomington area,stop in and say hi
kirby
vee twin racing
5810 w sr46
bloomington
I'm down In Daytona now, maybe forever if my wife has her say. Thar 127" Ultima of my friends went past my last nerve, it started with a problem with a head gasket when the motor was first installed, then a year later the base gasket blew, and when we reassembled that it turns out that the head bolt simply broke during reassembly.

They may be a less expensive alternative but unless some one really knew what they are doing I would recomend staying away from them. I couldn't imagine what the shop bill would be on all of that work.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:26 AM
JC in Colorado
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread here, thanks to all for the informative and interesting details. I had tried starting a thread about my 100" Ultima and was politely informed (Thanks Mr. Brown) to do a search (which I should have done in the first place). Anyway, my issue seems rather tame after reading all this. The motor has been in my bike for about a year and the noise has always bothered me. Sounds to me like the lifters but I admit I may be the least qualified as far as working on my own. I have done only a little of my own work and most of that on cars, so in conclusion I guess I should be satisfied with the motor so far, since it has been very reliable, just noisy.
Glad I found this thread, it has me considering new parts at some point but since I only ride four or five thousand miles a year and fairly mellow at that perhaps I should just ride it til it breaks.

Last edited by JC in Colorado; 02-27-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:58 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by JC in Colorado
Great thread here, thanks to all for the informative and interesting details. I had tried starting a thread about my 100" Ultima and was politely informed (Thanks Mr. Brown) to do a search (which I should have done in the first place)....

Old 02-27-2010, 04:24 PM
JC in Colorado
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wasn't meant to embarrass you..... And I was assuming you are a mister. No offense if not.

Old 02-28-2010, 03:42 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JC in Colorado
Wasn't meant to embarrass you..... And I was assuming you are a mister. No offense if not.
Hi JC! No worries mate, as they say in Oz (Australia).

Old 02-28-2010, 06:07 AM
choptop
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by choptop
Have about 250 miles on bike since cam/lifters/pushrods and oil pump. Seems noisier than before but not totally sure, winds out well, starts up and shuts off, called tech to make sure that info was sent w/parts so they set things right, said they did.
Not happy the engine went, happy they suplied parts, not happy about the money I should not have had to spend, not happy w/Matt, first and last time I talked to him was May 29, have left messages twice, once when parts were overdue, once when rear lifter would not slide threw block, hasn't returned a call yet, tech did what he felt he needed to do, hone block, would have been nice to get a call on that one, no excuse, find the time to make a call ! Happy bike is running and it is behind me. Thank for letting me mildly vent.
Well I am hoping for a trouble free summer of riding, I like the 127 performance but after last years problems am gunshy of the engine and its durability, once again I hope for a summer of trouble free riding.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:40 AM
patrickk1
Stage I

Just wanted to share my experience with Ultima. Owned a 127 w/ 0 problems and sold it at 3k miles. Owned a 113 with 0 miles and sold at 6k miles. I have a friend who has run a shop for the past 7 years and has sold well over a hundred ultima engines and he has had very few problems with them.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:38 AM
choptop
Cruiser

Have had a problem the last couple of years, bike seams to run great till it gets 75+ degrees, I can be riding down the road and the engine will stop, pull off to the side of the road, start it up, go a couple of miles and same thing, has original Ultima, by the way it is a 127, ignition.Last night after 4 th stop, it would not start, pulled cone cover off, let it cool down a while, was about 7 pm, rode home. Am told it is probably the ignition module, 3 years old, less than 5,000 miles. Any thoughts, thanks.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:22 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

We replaced our non-programable ignition with an Ultima programmable ignition which is a re-branded dyna and we are very happy with it. We ar erunning a 120" engine. Hope this helps.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:54 AM
choptop
Cruiser
Default shtbk

Originally Posted by miacycles
We replaced our non-programable ignition with an Ultima programmable ignition which is a re-branded dyna and we are very happy with it. We ar erunning a 120" engine. Hope this helps.
John, am leaning towards the ignition module, put heat to it yesterday w/heat gun, for 5 minutes, could not get it to shut down, spose that doesn't mean a lot. Have tanlk off going tho check all connections and all gas lines and fittings, vapor lock is a considerstion I spose, will hunt it down 1 way or another, thanks, loved the BP coffee spill video. lol

Quick Reply: Ultima 127 problem