EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Inner primary leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 01:54 PM
harleyguy5571
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Inner primary leak

I have a 90 FXR and the inner primary gasket is leaking. I had to replace it last year so I'm wondering if this is a common thing. Anything I should be looking for?

Old 06-16-2009, 03:51 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you talking about the gasket between the inner and outer primary?? Are you running a stock setup or an aftermarket chromed one as the chromed ones can leak. What are you running for primary fluid?? Need more info.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:40 PM
harleyguy5571
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm using a stack srt up, but its not leaking between the inner and out primary. From what I can tell its coming from between the inner primary and tranny area. I'm using V-twin primary oil.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:56 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,672 Likes on 1,091 Posts

Inner primary seal.
You need to replace the bearing race on the transmission input shaft (and maybe inner primary bearing also) The seal runs on that race and it's seldom you can replace that seal without the race also and keep it dry.

Transmission fluid can leak out near there also, but I figure you know the difference. I go by smell and taste myself.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:17 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member

Drain your primary and put ATF in it. Then wait for the leak, if it's red it's the primary then follow the instructions that t150vej gave you. If it's the tranny then remove the outer and inner primary, make sure the tranny is full put the bike on the side stand. Then wait and see which seal is leaking. Then replace the seal and reassemble.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:24 AM
harleyguy5571
Outstanding HDF Member

Ok guys thanks for your help. Looks like another wekend project.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:40 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In addition to what the other guys have mentioned if you have to pull both primaries I'd advise the following. Make sure that you have the newer style pulley upgrade. If not, install the newer style pulley and locking kit. For the cost of the seals, I'd also reseal the entire left side of the transmission including a new quad seal and both inner primary seals.

Make sure that your pulley spacer is not rusted, scored or grooved, that will take out a new mainshaft seal in no time. Baker has a Hi-Torque bearing kit available for about $40.00 retail that eliminates the bearing race t150vej mentions. Baker also offers a hardened spacer that will not groove. Either way you go, there is a special tool needed to remove and reinstall that race off the mainshaft. That particular part has been known to walk on the mainshaft in some cases.

When I still had my stock trans that was leaking I did not have that tool. I stripped the left side and also discovered that the race had walked outboard on the mainshaft. I trailered the bike to a local Indy, he removed that race in about 10 minutes. Ran the Baker setup without any problems until installing a Baker DD6. It also is running without that race and with the Hi-Torque kit in the innner. No leaks, no noise.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:23 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Buddy WMC
In addition to what the other guys have mentioned if you have to pull both primaries I'd advise the following. Make sure that you have the newer style pulley upgrade. If not, install the newer style pulley and locking kit. For the cost of the seals, I'd also reseal the entire left side of the transmission including a new quad seal and both inner primary seals.

Make sure that your pulley spacer is not rusted, scored or grooved, that will take out a new mainshaft seal in no time. Baker has a Hi-Torque bearing kit available for about $40.00 retail that eliminates the bearing race t150vej mentions. Baker also offers a hardened spacer that will not groove. Either way you go, there is a special tool needed to remove and reinstall that race off the mainshaft. That particular part has been known to walk on the mainshaft in some cases.

When I still had my stock trans that was leaking I did not have that tool. I stripped the left side and also discovered that the race had walked outboard on the mainshaft. I trailered the bike to a local Indy, he removed that race in about 10 minutes. Ran the Baker setup without any problems until installing a Baker DD6. It also is running without that race and with the Hi-Torque kit in the innner. No leaks, no noise.
Buddy check out my post on the bearing and seal. Total cost is under $15.00.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:14 PM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John,

Yeah I know now, but did not then. We have now crossed the SKF numbers over and now stock the same bearing and seal. We also did purchase the correct tool.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:57 AM
harleyguy5571
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Buddy WMC

Great information thank for the help.

Quick Reply: Inner primary leak