Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Evo Classic Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Evo Classic Models All Evo Models
Sponsored by: J&M Motorcycle Audio

P

Old 06-16-2009, 01:54 PM
Supporter
na na na na
Default Inner primary leak

I have a 90 FXR and the inner primary gasket is leaking. I had to replace it last year so I'm wondering if this is a common thing. Anything I should be looking for?

2010 Road King Classic
SHUT UP AND RIDE!!!
Old 06-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Elite HDF Member

Are you talking about the gasket between the inner and outer primary?? Are you running a stock setup or an aftermarket chromed one as the chromed ones can leak. What are you running for primary fluid?? Need more info.
To guard the gates of hell !!

If you find yourself in a fair fight
Your tactics suck !!!!!!!
Old 06-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Supporter
na na na na

I'm using a stack srt up, but its not leaking between the inner and out primary. From what I can tell its coming from between the inner primary and tranny area. I'm using V-twin primary oil.

2010 Road King Classic
SHUT UP AND RIDE!!!
Old 06-16-2009, 06:56 PM
Road Warrior

Inner primary seal.
You need to replace the bearing race on the transmission input shaft (and maybe inner primary bearing also) The seal runs on that race and it's seldom you can replace that seal without the race also and keep it dry.

Transmission fluid can leak out near there also, but I figure you know the difference. I go by smell and taste myself.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:17 AM
Elite HDF Member

Drain your primary and put ATF in it. Then wait for the leak, if it's red it's the primary then follow the instructions that t150vej gave you. If it's the tranny then remove the outer and inner primary, make sure the tranny is full put the bike on the side stand. Then wait and see which seal is leaking. Then replace the seal and reassemble.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:24 AM
Supporter
na na na na

Ok guys thanks for your help. Looks like another wekend project.

2010 Road King Classic
SHUT UP AND RIDE!!!
Old 06-17-2009, 07:40 AM
Road Warrior

In addition to what the other guys have mentioned if you have to pull both primaries I'd advise the following. Make sure that you have the newer style pulley upgrade. If not, install the newer style pulley and locking kit. For the cost of the seals, I'd also reseal the entire left side of the transmission including a new quad seal and both inner primary seals.

Make sure that your pulley spacer is not rusted, scored or grooved, that will take out a new mainshaft seal in no time. Baker has a Hi-Torque bearing kit available for about $40.00 retail that eliminates the bearing race t150vej mentions. Baker also offers a hardened spacer that will not groove. Either way you go, there is a special tool needed to remove and reinstall that race off the mainshaft. That particular part has been known to walk on the mainshaft in some cases.

When I still had my stock trans that was leaking I did not have that tool. I stripped the left side and also discovered that the race had walked outboard on the mainshaft. I trailered the bike to a local Indy, he removed that race in about 10 minutes. Ran the Baker setup without any problems until installing a Baker DD6. It also is running without that race and with the Hi-Torque kit in the innner. No leaks, no noise.
2011 Ultra Tri-Glide Vivid Black, Fuelmoto 2x1x2 Header, SE 4" Street Cannons, SE Ventilator AC, SE 255 Cams, SE EZ Just Pushrods, SE Plug Wires, Jagg Super 10 Row Fan Asssisted Oil Cooler, Windvest Smoke Tint 10" Bagger Windshield, Willy Shiney Chrome Wheels with Baby Moons, Progressive Suspension Monotube Front End with HD Chrome Lowers, Wards FCS Fans, TTS Tuning with help from The "Wiz" and final tuning by Doc's Performance Tuning, Mineola, FL.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:23 AM
Elite HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy WMC View Post
In addition to what the other guys have mentioned if you have to pull both primaries I'd advise the following. Make sure that you have the newer style pulley upgrade. If not, install the newer style pulley and locking kit. For the cost of the seals, I'd also reseal the entire left side of the transmission including a new quad seal and both inner primary seals.

Make sure that your pulley spacer is not rusted, scored or grooved, that will take out a new mainshaft seal in no time. Baker has a Hi-Torque bearing kit available for about $40.00 retail that eliminates the bearing race t150vej mentions. Baker also offers a hardened spacer that will not groove. Either way you go, there is a special tool needed to remove and reinstall that race off the mainshaft. That particular part has been known to walk on the mainshaft in some cases.

When I still had my stock trans that was leaking I did not have that tool. I stripped the left side and also discovered that the race had walked outboard on the mainshaft. I trailered the bike to a local Indy, he removed that race in about 10 minutes. Ran the Baker setup without any problems until installing a Baker DD6. It also is running without that race and with the Hi-Torque kit in the innner. No leaks, no noise.
Buddy check out my post on the bearing and seal. Total cost is under $15.00.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:14 PM
Road Warrior

John,

Yeah I know now, but did not then. We have now crossed the SKF numbers over and now stock the same bearing and seal. We also did purchase the correct tool.
2011 Ultra Tri-Glide Vivid Black, Fuelmoto 2x1x2 Header, SE 4" Street Cannons, SE Ventilator AC, SE 255 Cams, SE EZ Just Pushrods, SE Plug Wires, Jagg Super 10 Row Fan Asssisted Oil Cooler, Windvest Smoke Tint 10" Bagger Windshield, Willy Shiney Chrome Wheels with Baby Moons, Progressive Suspension Monotube Front End with HD Chrome Lowers, Wards FCS Fans, TTS Tuning with help from The "Wiz" and final tuning by Doc's Performance Tuning, Mineola, FL.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:57 AM
Supporter
na na na na

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy WMC View Post

Great information thank for the help.

2010 Road King Classic
SHUT UP AND RIDE!!!
Old 06-18-2009, 07:57 AM

P

Tags
1993, baker, boxes, dd6, fxr, harley, install, leak, priary, primary, reliability, removal, remove, reseal, rocker, seal, transmission, vtwin