EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Tap, Tap, Tap Bad Starter???

Old 08-25-2009, 08:41 PM
skullhead
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Tap, Tap, Tap Bad Starter???

Hey guys,
Went to fire up the bike this evening but when I hit the but I just get a metal raping noise. The engine doesn't turn over, it isn't that dead battery noise we have all heard.

It is a metal tapping noise. Is my starter toast?

Didn't have time to get into it but thought I'd bounce it off everyone in the mean time.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:21 PM
Fatboy931
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure what year yours is but the later model starter are alot like a Chrysler minivan starter. The disk and the contacts in the solenoid will get pitted from arcing. The solenoid will actuate but no current will flow and the starter would turn over. Makes a deeper more solid sound than a starter relay or low battery.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:33 PM
btroy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1.could be a bad ground
2. rock it in gear and try it again, could be a weak solenoid and it just stuck (happens). If not a weak solenoid it could be the starter is starting to go bad.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:11 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Check all your connections, this means looking at the cables to ensure they are not corroded inside where the wires are fastened. If the noise is a grinding type, then pull your primary and look at the teeth on the starter and flywheel. Hope this helps.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:28 AM
skullhead
Road Master

Thanks Guys,
I'll get a look at it this weekend. It's not a grinding sound or electrical clicking. It is a rapid tapping noise, very metalic.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:30 AM
skullhead
Road Master

Originally Posted by Fatboy931
Not sure what year yours is but the later model starter are alot like a Chrysler minivan starter. The disk and the contacts in the solenoid will get pitted from arcing. The solenoid will actuate but no current will flow and the starter would turn over. Makes a deeper more solid sound than a starter relay or low battery.
Sounds like this may be the issue from your description. I'll know this weekend.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:18 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member

The tapping sounds like a solenoid.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:20 PM
96ApeKing
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by miacycles
Check all your connections, this means looking at the cables to ensure they are not corroded inside where the wires are fastened. If the noise is a grinding type, then pull your primary and look at the teeth on the starter and flywheel. Hope this helps.
Hope you don't mind me sharing your thread skullhead.

My starter makes this grinding noise ONLY when it's hot. Never experience the grinding when starting in the morning or after the bike is left for ove 2 hours. It'll grind when I switch it off then have to start again immediately. Have to hit the starter about 3 times before it turns over. It's a 96 with 150K on it if it matters.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:46 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member

Almost forgot, if the "grinding" is not really loud and obnoxious it could be the starter clutch.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:33 PM
skullhead
Road Master

Great news it was just a bad battery! Went to AutoZone and had them test the battery and it came back toast. From the shape it was in and how hard it was to get it out I wouldn't be surprised if it was the original battery from 1996. Had the harley logo on it and everything.

What a difference with the new battery she fires up on the first hit. I used to have to crank it a bit and the starter really whined. Now she just kicks right over.

Man am I happy!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tap, Tap, Tap Bad Starter???