EVO All Evo Model Discussion

92 FLT Oil Drain Location

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 10:46 PM
vonzip
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 FLT Oil Drain Location

Just got a 92 FLT called a Touring Classic Ultra. Where the heck is the oil drain? I posted on the "Touring Forum" and got some hints but still have not found it. VonZip

Old 10-03-2009, 12:19 AM
IDIDNTDOIT
Cruiser

Played "Find the Oil Drain" with mine for a while, I have all three books and it is not real clear in the shop or owners manual. On my '87 you pull the right side cover and remove the temp sender from the oil tank. I had to warm the bike up 3 times before I finally got the oil changed the first time. I spent a ton of time looking for a drain hose underneath, Nope, pull the temp sender!!! Not sure if yours is the same or not.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:31 AM
pajoe
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are talking about the oil tank, on our 1990 FLHTCU it is triangular in shape and on the right side behind the cover just in front of the right saddle bag and the drain plug is just above where the wiring wiring comes through , so every time you drain the tank there is a mess to clean up. I started using a vacuum pump and pull the oil from the tank. The vacuum pump does not get it all out but makes it pretty easy to change oil because you don't have to take anything off more than the fill plug and oil filter. The oil filter on mine is under the transmission in front of the rear tire - a lot easier to change than the newer filter in front of the engine.

Jireh sells an item: 97-304 $13.95 to use to help drain the oil, after the tank is empty and filled with fresh oil you use the turn on the item 97-304 and run the engine to push the remaining dirty oil out, after about 24 -32 oz of oil it will be clean oil. I saw a video and you can see the oil get cleaner as the fresh oil pushes out the old - then you refill the tank and all is well. I did not actually use it yet, but in sounds good.

http://www.jirehcycles.com/

I guess the newer engines make it a little easier to drain the oil but they also have the oil filter up front which make that part messy.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:23 PM
vonzip
2nd Gear

pajoe:

Yep, that did it! I pulled the cover off this a.m. and there was the drain. It is actually at the bottom (on the side) on mine, so it should drain without too much mess. Thanks for the help. Von Zip