EVO All Evo Model Discussion

AWWW CRAP!... Stripped lifter block bolt head... Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 07:09 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default AWWW CRAP!... Stripped lifter block bolt head... Any suggestions?

Houston, we have a problem...

Feel free to ridicule me on this one... In removing my lifter blocks this evening, I managed to strip the 12-point head on the left rear bolt on the rear lifter. All of the other 7 lifter block bolts came right off with no problem, but the left rear one on the rear lifter block is in a tight area, and my 12-point socket stripped the little points on the bolt head. It's really hard to get to... far too tight to drill out the head and use a screw extractor without pulling the heads - can't get a drill motor in there, and I don't have a 90-degree drill motor... (although Home Depot IS open for another hour...)

Any suggestions on how I can get this stubborn little bolt out? I have new lifter blocks here that I'm going to install anyway - so I'm quite willing to destroy the lifter block if I have to to get this last remaining little bolt out.

I can't get nearly enough pressure on it with needle nose pliers to turn it, and Vise Grips - even my smallest ones - are too big to rotate in that small area...

Any and all suggestions welcome! Thanks.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:59 PM
gsxrboy96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man, how do you strip a 12 pt bolt?? , just kidding man, i know this is gonna sound very back woods, but try a size smaller in a six point, beat it on the bolt head if you have too, i would prolly put a little heat to it, to ensure it comes out first try, just a thought. chad.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:35 PM
MJ
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

I have a set similar to these if you have room. I think Lowes sells them. I use them on my mower blade bolts from time to time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/IRWIN-BULLDOG-BR...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 01-02-2010, 08:41 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

On similar bolts I have at times filed two opposite flats that I was able to get a wrench on a break free with some heat. Maybe the compreesor kicked on at just the time they were air torqueing that bolt. If you go that route, take your time and get them as parallel as you can.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:45 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member

Thanks for all the help guys. I tried using a 1/4" 6-point socket, banging it down, but it turned on the bolt. I was going to do the file thing, but there just wasn't enough room. I finally was able to put an extension on the 12-point socket, bang it down all the way, and coax the bolt out very slowly back and forth. The bolt resisted moving the whole way out. It was a challenge, but I finally got the damn thing out. Whew!

Got the new Torrington bearing and the new cam in, and got the new lifter blocks on. Tomorrow morning I'll install the adjustable rods, test how the engine turns over, button everything up, put oil back in, and hopefully be able to start her up!

This is an enjoyable little adventure. My wife just came down to check on me before going to bed. I think she is amused at my tinkering, and kind of sees me as a little boy playing with an erector set! I told her this is serious stuff, but I don't think I convinced her. She even had the gall to ask me what all this work is going to get me, and if my bike will finally be able to outrun her (stage 1 thanks to ME) V-Star 1100 when I'm done. I responded by challenging her to a drag... I just hope it CAN outrun her bike, or I'll be eating crow for awhile...

Thanks again guys!

Last edited by NorthGeorgiaHawg; 01-02-2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:52 PM
fairplay
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthGeorgiaHawg
and if my bike will finally be able to outrun her (stage 1 thanks to ME) V-Star 1100 when I'm done. I responded by challenging her to a drag... I just hope it CAN outrun her bike, or I'll be eating crow for awhile...

Thanks again guys!
I have no intention of challenging my OL, I just bought her a liquid cooled Buell 146hp! Am I outta my skull?

Old 01-03-2010, 08:20 AM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member

Originally Posted by fairplay
I have no intention of challenging my OL, I just bought her a liquid cooled Buell 146hp! Am I outta my skull?
Maybe... but at least you are comfortable with the fact that she can toast you!

Old 01-03-2010, 08:52 AM
gsxrboy96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your gonna like that 3010 camshaft, tons and tons of torque.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:58 AM
MJ
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

I am glad Big Bertha cooperated with ya. I have ran across many of those wheeeewwwws! That Irwin tool is very handy, if you get a chance to pick a set up. It will even work on on Allen heads that are round on the outside.

Dang it was cold for south Florida this morning. upper 30s. Wife put in an order for grilled hamburgers, so at least I can stand by a fire to cook them.

Keep us posted on the work.

Mike

Old 01-03-2010, 09:52 AM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member

Originally Posted by gsxrboy96
your gonna like that 3010 camshaft, tons and tons of torque.
I was hoping someone would say that! I was going back and forth between an EV-27 and the EVL-3010. I decided on the 3010 because of what I have read about the specs - 102 degree lobe separation and centerline, 39/15 15/39 degree valve timing, 234 degrees duration on both intake and exhaust, and 30 degrees overlap. Everything seems "right" for good performance on a big heavy bike like Bertha, and low and midrange torque was what I am looking for. I don't like to wind up to high RPMs all the time to make power... I want and need this old Evo engine to last! I did set the rev limiter to 5700 on the Twin Tec - but I really don't think she'll see those revs very often, if ever.

Originally Posted by wideglide95th
I am glad Big Bertha cooperated with ya. I have ran across many of those wheeeewwwws! That Irwin tool is very handy, if you get a chance to pick a set up. It will even work on on Allen heads that are round on the outside.

Dang it was cold for south Florida this morning. upper 30s. Wife put in an order for grilled hamburgers, so at least I can stand by a fire to cook them.

Keep us posted on the work.

Mike
I will Mike. The problem with "wheeewwws" is that I usually don't see them coming in time to avoid them! I will see if I can find that Irwin tool, to be ready for the next one...

The new Velva Touch lifter blocks are shaped differently than the stockers. They are really good looking (chrome, of course) - but now I need a deep 12-point 1/4" socket to get those on... the short 3/8" drive one I have won't clear the lifter block housing on (you guessed it) one of the bolts. Grrrr... Why is it always just one bolt that gives me trouble? Oh well... off to Lowes or Sears I go in a bit to search for one.

Weather Update: it's friggin' 24 F right now here... which for here is just too damn cold! Have I mentioned how much I hate winter???

Quick Reply: AWWW CRAP!... Stripped lifter block bolt head... Any suggestions?