EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Ignition switch knob replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 05:53 PM
95 Ultra
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ignition switch **** replacement

Can anyone out there walk me through how to remove the old and install a new ignition switch ****? I bought the bike used and the previous owner only had one key. From what I can tell, he must have lost the original keys and got a barrel key from who knows where and ground on it a little bit to make it work. Anyway, I ordered a new switch **** with two new keys, but am not sure how to remove and replace the old ****. I contacted every locksmith in a 50 mile radius to make a barrel key for me, but none around here make them. Replacing the old **** with a new one and new keys seemed the easiest route to go. The **** and keys from HD were 92 bucks, but it was the only way I could figure to get new keys that work correctly. Thanks. KC

Old 02-03-2010, 06:30 PM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 275 Likes on 202 Posts

I cannot imagine a locksmith not having barrel keys......nearly every vending machine uses them and of course....many Harleys use them as well. You should be able to give the VIN to a Harley dealership and they make you a key. I don't know exactly why the **** is being replaced though.

A couple of years ago....on a trip somewhere, I lost the keys to my Low Rider. I looked everywhere, I suppose they grew wings and the darn things flew away. Anyways, I had a locksmith come out to the bike. He went out there and did whatever he did.....he made a new key in his van. A service charge of $15 and a new key was $8.

I had to remove mine on my 98 in the past.....I thought it was a pain in the butt. The shop manual stated you had to go under it and press. All while pulling up....looked easy, but the directions sounded confusing. I couldn't really tell you how to remove it....I messed with it long enough and it just finally came off. Magic I suppose.....

Old 02-03-2010, 06:52 PM
95 Ultra
Tourer

I did give the vin to the dealer, keys wouldn't work. He says ignition must have been changed before by previous owner.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Moog Player
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a tab under the **** you need to press to release. If I recall....
Turn the **** to accessory
Push up the little tab from underneath while turning the key 90 degrees past it's normal limit
Lift the **** out of the stem.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:01 PM
95 Ultra
Tourer

Originally Posted by Moog Player
There is a tab under the **** you need to press to release. If I recall....
Turn the **** to accessory
Push up the little tab from underneath while turning the key 90 degrees past it's normal limit
Lift the **** out of the stem.
Yep, that did it. Pressed up on the tab with a small screwdriver and off it came. I finally found a locksmith 80 miles away that would make a barrel key. Easier to just buy the **** and keys. That way one key should work on all the locks. Thanks. KC