EVO All Evo Model Discussion

aiming spot lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 05:50 PM
panheadmatman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aiming spot lights

just put a set of spots on my 97 fatboy, stock frontend ,and following the aiming steps fromthe "idiot " book i went to aim them. well here i am ,the will not aim low enough to be even with headlight as per instructions . it seems that the spot light bucket will not rotate forward enough to allow correct alignment . has anyone encountered this problem, got solutions,ideas or thoughts........

Old 03-01-2010, 06:05 PM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Passing lamps? Yeah they can be a bitch to lock down right, just gotta play with them tighten a little, tug a little, lather, rinse, repeat. if they just plain out refuse, try some stainless steel shimstock under the back side.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow. My spots are needing adjustment too...they're too LOW! I doubt they beam over 30' in front of me.
I dunno, it's the way I got it.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:56 PM
C Clamp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a set of these on my wife's Softail. I really like them, especially at night. I did have to run new wires under the tank from the battery because these are actual High/Low beam lights and use a bit more power than the stock wiring could take. I installed a double throw toggle switch in place of the single pole stock switch and installed a 12v relay so it disables the power and the lights go off when she turns the bike off. Center position on the new switch is off so she can select between down for low and up for high beam. Because of her windshield I also had to get the 1" forward offsets to mount them on. I didn't even wire the small 5W low-intensity running light in these. I was thinking of putting these on my 09 Ultra in place of the stock lights. On my 09, to make the left light useful at night I had to turn it more towards the left. Now the front of my bike kind of looks like the guy with "crazy eyes". The plus with these lights is that you can get a new bulb just about anywhere for these auto parts or wally world. They also come with or with out a visor trim ring and are fully adjustable. The mounting stud that comes with them is just enough to mount like the stock lights, but its not hollow to run wires in.

Just my 2cents.

I am curious what others are using as optional or replacement lighting.

http://www.dragspecialties.com/fatbook/14/137/7716776

Old 03-07-2010, 07:03 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

According to my bible, you may have done it backwards. The left spot should aim in front of you and the right one aims slightly to the right. That would keep you from BLINDING the oncoming drivers, but give you more vision.