Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Evo Classic Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Evo Classic Models All Evo Models
Sponsored by: J&M Motorcycle Audio

P

Old 03-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Hang Around
Default Turns over but won't start.

I need some help!!! I have a 98 EVO fuel injected (touring) That just had a complete rebuild top and bottom (did most of it my self with advice from a local shop). I had every thing together (engine wise) and got it to fire up with a high idle. I figured I needed to re adjust the push rods because I had some help with them and they didn't "feel" right. So.. I finished taking the body off and primed everything including the tank. I sealed and taped all the holes but did not pull out what I assume is the fuel pump in the tank. Finished primer and re assembled, testing the lights and such as I went (I put extended bag and rear fender w/ new lights).
I then readjusted the push rods to the exact spec, and they "feel" perfect. Put gas in the tank turned it over and it will not pop. I can hear the fuel pump but i can't smell any gas. I'm sure the plugs are good and they are getting fire.

Know keep in mind I AM NOT A MC MECHANIC!!! and this could be a rookie mistake. I was unemployed and cold not afford $$$$ per hour to do this. This has been a five month ordeal and I am this close to finishing the with the exeption of final pant and polish and stereo (maybe a few odds and ends now that I found a job).

What am I missing. Thank in advance. I read alot of thread here and you guys rock.

John
Old 03-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Hang Around

If it starts, there is nothing wrong with the p-rod adj. NEVER adjust p-rods with the engine warm, only cold. Sounds like you have them to tight and engine can not build compression. Start over with cold motor and take your time.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:09 PM
Road Warrior

I agree......only adjust them while they are cold. Like already said, it does sound like they are too tight. Take your time.

If your motor is stock.....you may want to consider installing the OEM non-adjustable push rods. There's no way to screw these things up.
1981 Honda XL250S-(nearly mint condition)
Old 03-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Hang Around

I guess I should have stated that the priming and other stuff was done over several day. The had not been started for atleast a week before I adjusted the P-rods. The engine is pretty much stock I had it bored one over and uped the cam (ev-27). stock push rods are not an option as I don't want to pull the top apart.
I can feel and hear that it has compression from the exhaust.

Question: Should I smell gas some where when the fuel pump primes?

Thanks
Old 03-05-2010, 06:13 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Check the Kill Switch???
USN 71-74
Old 03-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Hang Around

If the kill switch is bad it wouldn't turn over would it???
Old 03-05-2010, 08:02 PM
Road Master

I would still adjust the push rods, leave a little slack in them to prevent keeping the valves open. It was running with loose valves so go back to that point.

David P.
Riding Back Roads
Take care of your stuff and it will take care of you !!

http://200mileburgerride.shutterfly.com/#
Old 03-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellen11 View Post
If the kill switch is bad it wouldn't turn over would it???

Likely!

I always say check the kill switch because sometimes you don't always realize you've hit the thing. Did that a couple weeks ago, got on the bike and nothing.

But most definitely check the push rods again.

Check your fuel pet ****. Is it on??

Go back and check all your steps, insure connections are
made.

Check battery cables.

Check fuse for fuel pump.

Check your timing, you said it started with a high idle.

It ran before so it's probably something simple and usually electrical.
USN 71-74
Old 03-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Senior Rider

How much gas did you put in it?

If the tank was drained dry,you will have to put in enough to get it over to the left side of the tank(unless you want to what for it to flow through that little hose at the bottom of the tank). I had to dump in about 3 1/2 gallons!

I doubt if it's this simple but with a little luck..........
Old 03-05-2010, 11:56 PM
Hang Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellen11 View Post
I can feel and hear that it has compression from the exhaust.

Question: Should I smell gas some where when the fuel pump primes?

Thanks

If compression is in question, put a gauge on it to be sure.

You will not smell gas as the fuel pump primes; it’s only pressurizing the lines. The injectors need to open to let gas out.

If the fuel pump is priming, the kill switch is on and your ECM should have power. Does your engine light come on and then go off after a couple of seconds? If so does in come back on? If it comes back on you have a fault code in the ECM that may help diagnose your problem. If you get no engine light check the fuse to your ECM.

Fuel injected bikes idle high once started until they reach operating temps so I wouldn’t put too much into that. Besides it did that before you took the tank and rear fender off. What did you disconnect to get the tank and fender off??

Sounds like you are not getting fuel. If it were me, with the bike on its kickstand I’d open the throttle, squirt a little gas into the throttle body, close the throttle and then immediately try starting it (you stated that there was spark). Be safe and do not burn your house/garage down if it back fires a ball of flame out of the throttle body!! If it fires and dies, now you just need to figure out where the gas restriction is. Are the fuel lines screwed all the way into the tank? Are the injectors connected?

Good luck.

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem"

Last edited by Charlie Bone; 03-06-2010 at 12:01 AM..
Old 03-05-2010, 11:56 PM

P