EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Aiming Passing lights

Old 03-24-2010, 08:00 PM
Bullys FLSTN
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aiming Passing lights

Anybody know of any tried and true methods for aiming passing lights. Or know where i can find a procedure for it. I picked up a set of lights for my 96' Heritage and going to put them on this weekend, so any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks

Old 03-24-2010, 08:20 PM
jcrawford14
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 1 Post

If you have the Factory Service manual the procedure is in there. I always aim mine much like my head light just slightly to the left and right .

Old 03-24-2010, 08:30 PM
Bullys FLSTN
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jcrawford14
If you have the Factory Service manual the procedure is in there. I always aim mine much like my head light just slightly to the left and right .
Where in the manual does it give the procedure? My service manual shows the removal and reinstall, and parts breakdown but no procedure for adjusting. Thanks for the reply.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:37 PM
tlmitchell
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullys FLSTN
Anybody know of any tried and true methods for aiming passing lights. Or know where i can find a procedure for it. I picked up a set of lights for my 96' Heritage and going to put them on this weekend, so any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks
There's a procedure in the Touring manuals... have the bike upright 20 ft from a wall, garage door, whatever. I align the height of the passing lamp beam slightly lower than the center of the low beam and have both lamps just *slightly* to the right of center. This prevents oncoming glare and lights up the right berm. I rarely get high beams flashed even though I have 55w halogens in the passing lamps. On the occasion I do I give 'em a dose of the 100w high beam... all three lamps are wired to stay on with low or high beam... and listen to their retinas sizzling on the way by.

TL

Old 03-25-2010, 06:39 AM
Bullys FLSTN
Cruiser

Thanks TL, can't get much easier than that.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:44 AM
tlmitchell
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Bullys FLSTN
Thanks TL, can't get much easier than that.
Especially if you're aiming 'em at installation. If you have remove the turn signals (on the Touring, anyway) you need that stupidly expensive socket with the slot for the wires. Most techs just reef on 'em and bend the mounts slightly, taking care not to let things go too far. Always worked for me in the past... on the new bike I actually had to buy the tool. Found some guy making and sellin' 'em cheap on eBay.

While your tweaking lighting, if that bike has a replaceable headlight bulb check out a 100w 55 H4. Same wattage on low beam but 100w high beam lights things up nicely. Gets a bit warm so I only use it when I'm moving. 100w 55 H4s are usually readily available at metric dealers.

TL

Old 03-25-2010, 10:55 AM
46knuck
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by tlmitchell
There's a procedure in the Touring manuals... have the bike upright 20 ft from a wall, garage door, whatever. I align the height of the passing lamp beam slightly lower than the center of the low beam and have both lamps just *slightly* to the right of center. This prevents oncoming glare and lights up the right berm. I rarely get high beams flashed even though I have 55w halogens in the passing lamps. On the occasion I do I give 'em a dose of the 100w high beam... all three lamps are wired to stay on with low or high beam... and listen to their retinas sizzling on the way by.

TL

I bet your stator is crying when all three are on. Think that is why the factory didn't wire it that way..................?

Old 03-25-2010, 12:17 PM
mjd98
Novice

Especially if you're aiming 'em at installation. If you have remove the turn signals (on the Touring, anyway) you need that stupidly expensive socket with the slot for the wires. Most techs just reef on 'em and bend the mounts slightly, taking care not to let things go too far. Always worked for me in the past... on the new bike I actually had to buy the tool. Found some guy making and sellin' 'em cheap on eBay.

While your tweaking lighting, if that bike has a replaceable headlight bulb check out a 100w 55 H4. Same wattage on low beam but 100w high beam lights things up nicely. Gets a bit warm so I only use it when I'm moving. 100w 55 H4s are usually readily available at metric dealers.

TL
TL is right,its a pain without these tools,i made my own,bought a socket at a yard sale and notched it out on one side,mine is short but a deep well would work better,had some thin scrap metal laying around and made the other

Old 09-21-2010, 09:04 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up No shat!

TL
Just had to tighten up my right side spot lamp and I took the turn signal off to get to it and I"m looking at the nut with the wire coming out of the center wondering how the h*ll do I tighten that nut with the wire in the way? Pain in the **** long story/short I cut the wire, tightened the nut, and spliced it back together and wrapped it with elec. tape and it barely fit back in allowing me to tighten it all back up. "Special nut with slot in it" well knock me down with a feather. Amazing the things one can pick up on this HD Forum.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:40 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by Tactical111
"Special nut with slot in it" well knock me down with a feather. Amazing the things one can pick up on this HD Forum.
I reckon that lamp assembly is one of the daftest things Harley builds. They probably have a jig into which everything is assembled, including the wiring, in a distant dusty corner of the factory where Joe has built them since he was a lad in short trousers. It's as if they have never given a thought to adjusting the pointing of any of those lights and Joe isn't about to change what he does or how he does it! One small alteration would enable us to disconnect the wiring and use a normal tool.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aiming Passing lights