EVO All Evo Model Discussion

A VERY embarrasing question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 07:30 AM
jgcable
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default A VERY embarrasing question...

I just bought a 1990 FLTHCU Ultra Classic a month ago. I have the service manual and the owners manual. 1st of all.. I had to search online to find the oil drain plug. What a crazy place to put it. I spent more time cleaning the oil off of the bike after I drained it.
Anyway.. on to the question.
My service manual doesn't tell me how much oil to put in.
My owners manual says 4 quarts if I am replacing the oil filter (which I did with a Bosch 3330)
I checked many sources online and they all say 3 quarts.
My owners manual shows the oil capacity for several 1990 models. Sportsters are 3 quarts, dyna's are 3.5 and the FLHTCU is 4.
When I drained the oil it certainly looked like 4 quarts came out.
Anyway.. I put 4 quarts in. Am I good?

Old 04-07-2010, 07:37 AM
archman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't mean to sound like a smsrt ***,but did you stand your bike strait up and down and then check your dipstick a couple of times?

good luck,,
Archman

Old 04-07-2010, 07:37 AM
wtb3886
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default All you need to do is

check the dip stick Jimmy :-)

Old 04-07-2010, 08:16 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,194 Likes on 1,269 Posts

Careful, you need to check your dipstick with your scooter on the jiffy stand and not on a jack, Jimmy.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:44 AM
jgcable
Road Master

The owners manual says 4 quarts when replacing the filter.
Several sources online say 3 quarts.
Is it 3 or 4? It certainly looks like 4 quarts came out when I drained it.
I didn't check the dipstick after the oil change but before I started the motor the oil tank looked full. I'll check it when I get home.
So.. is it 3 quarts or 4? My guess is 4 judging by what came out.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:45 AM
jgcable
Road Master

Originally Posted by carlgrover
Careful, you need to check your dipstick with your scooter on the jiffy stand and not on a jack, Jimmy.

What is a jiffy stand? Do you mean the kickstand?

Old 04-07-2010, 10:04 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,679 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by jgcable
What is a jiffy stand? Do you mean the kickstand?
Yes, kick stand, and don't be embarrased to ask questions here. That's what the forum is meant for

Don't worry about your oil level, 4 quarts is what it takes - period. If you change the oil after it's been sitting a while (several days) and/or have only been run while parked on the side stand, they will often leave a good bit in the crankcase and appear to be overfull when started and run until the oil system equalizes between the flywheel side and cam side of the engine. The oil tanks on the Tour bikes are a totally different shape than the others and it's hard to overfill them to the point it'll cause any venting problems. And considering they hold so much, low oil level is of little concern either. So just do the 4 quart thing and ride a few miles and the correct oil level will reveal itself. (regardless of the mark on the stick) Also, the oil will expand and the level will vary when the oil is warm.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:25 AM
jgcable
Road Master

Originally Posted by t150vej
Yes, kick stand, and don't be embarrased to ask questions here. That's what the forum is meant for

Don't worry about your oil level, 4 quarts is what it takes - period. If you change the oil after it's been sitting a while (several days) and/or have only been run while parked on the side stand, they will often leave a good bit in the crankcase and appear to be overfull when started and run until the oil system equalizes between the flywheel side and cam side of the engine. The oil tanks on the Tour bikes are a totally different shape than the others and it's hard to overfill them to the point it'll cause any venting problems. And considering they hold so much, low oil level is of little concern either. So just do the 4 quart thing and ride a few miles and the correct oil level will reveal itself. (regardless of the mark on the stick) Also, the oil will expand and the level will vary when the oil is warm.
Thanks!

Old 04-07-2010, 03:43 PM
robertl
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4 qt. is right. I fill the filter full of oil before I screw it on.Manual says rinse your oil tank every other oil change with kerosene

Old 04-07-2010, 04:03 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,706 Likes on 1,343 Posts

There's no need to fill the filter before you put it on with a big twin evo. The filter is in the return line just before the oil tank. So, it's not like you have to fill the filter before the motor gets oil.

jgcable, I cut a little piece of cardboard and bend/wedge it over the exhaust pipe so the oil goes over the cardboard into the catch pan and not all over the exhaust pipe. Once it's not pouring out and just dripping, I pull the cardboard off and let it run down the frame, then I sit the the bike, pull it upright and let the last little bit drain out. There won't be much to clean up that way. Oh, and if your owner's manual says 4 quarts and the internet, y0, says 3 quarts, go with the owner's manual. The capacity is in your service manual as well if you have the right Genuine HD shop manual for your bike. If you don't have the right Genuine HD shop manual, that should be your next purchase.

Quick Reply: A VERY embarrasing question...