EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Drive Belt issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 06:48 PM
terrapin88
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Drive Belt issue

I was doing some maintenance today and happened to take a look at my drive belt. I noticed this line that doesn't go thru the belt, but goes all the way around the circumference of the belt. It looks like the belt has been dragging on something during it's rotation. I can't remember the last time I looked at the belt so I don't know how long it's been that way.

Anyone have any idea what caused this?

Thanks-
C

Attached Thumbnails Drive Belt issue-007.jpg   Drive Belt issue-010.jpg  
Old 04-10-2010, 09:11 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to look at where your counter shaft pulley is and make sure nothing is stuck in there. I had a fuel return line on a Ca bike do that to a belt once. It was the line that went to the evap canister.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:12 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,706 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Yeah, it looks like something was rubbing on it. Go over everything looking for something that might be rubbing. Especially check under the covers. Get a mirror on a stick if you have to. It might have been a rock or branch or maybe a screw or bolt on one of the covers, or the lower cover.

I don't think that belt is shot. I would run that belt. The load on the belt is not with that line, so I think the chances of it breaking because of that are slim.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:05 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Take your belt guards off for a closer look. Something has either got lodged where it shouldn't be, or come loose. It ain't good, that's for sure! If you can jack the bike up just turn the wheel by hand, and listen for something purring. Best of luck.

I have just replaced my belt after it suffered stone damage, although I did use it for around 4k miles before the wound started to spread out. If you can cure the cause of your damage you can probably carry on riding with it.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:36 AM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by terrapin88
I was doing some maintenance today and happened to take a look at my drive belt. I noticed this line that doesn't go thru the belt, but goes all the way around the circumference of the belt. It looks like the belt has been dragging on something during it's rotation. I can't remember the last time I looked at the belt so I don't know how long it's been that way.

Anyone have any idea what caused this?

Thanks-
C

I'll tell you exactly what it is... Mine's been like that for 40k mi and counting.....

Take a look at your transmission vent tube. I'll bet that the hose is piinted down and rubbing the belt, or had been at one time.. Its hard to picture a rubber hose doig that to a belt, but it will. I know first hand.... I'd just move the hose and ride.. It's not damaged..

Old 04-11-2010, 08:06 PM
terrapin88
Tourer

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I actually solved 2 mysteries today. The first was what was causing the belt damage. The other was where the acorn nut ended up that I dropped off the back of the tank mount when I was putting it back on 3 weeks ago. The nut fell out of my hand and never hit the ground. I couldn't find it and was in a hurry so I just replaced it with a 3/4 nut I had laying around and went for a ride thinking the nut would vibrate off and then thought nothing of it again, until today when I crawled up under front belt pulley and found the nut jammed in there.

It took a little prodding but I finally got it to fall out a hole on the right side of the pulley. The nut looks like it's been bounced around a bit, but I didn't see any obvious pulley damage so I think as long as the belt holds, I'm good to go.

I love it when I win.

Attached Thumbnails Drive Belt issue-006.jpg   Drive Belt issue-010.jpg  
Old 04-11-2010, 10:43 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great that you found the problem!

And as we are all aware, Murphy is always waiting just around the corner to strike!

Old 04-12-2010, 07:35 PM
I8SMK4U
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats like one of the top ten bummer things when working on a sled, dropping something and it not hitting the ground. I hate when I do that with 1/4" drive sockets, then finding a tool to fish it out.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:40 PM
terrapin88
Tourer

No doubt. I have at least a set of small wrenches and sockets lost in the engine compartments of all the cars I've owned over the years. I now have a few great little tools for that kind of thing. None of them worked in this situation, but I'd still recommend having them.
I have a small telescoping mirror and a telescoping magnet and then this 2 foot long metal flexible thing with a pushbutton on the top and a 4 fingered metal grabber thing on the bottom. I don't know what they are called but I'm sure everyone has seen them. All cheap and useful items you can normally find near the registers at autozone and hardware stores.

c

Old 04-13-2010, 07:26 AM
tas_todd
Stellar HDF Member

Received 697 Likes on 359 Posts

Glad you found the prob. Something I learned a long time ago working on helicopters in the Navy is, lay towels around the area your working (think how doctors do it). It catches all kinds of dropped stuff. Oh BTW, "2 foot long metal flexible thing with a pushbutton on the top and a 4 fingered metal grabber thing on the bottom." Those are called Mechanical fingers.

Quick Reply: Drive Belt issue