EVO All Evo Model Discussion

'95 Wide Glide leaking oil out of the stator grommet

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Panthers65
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '95 Wide Glide leaking oil out of the stator grommet

i posted up over in the Wide Glide section and someone recommended I try here to get a definite answer. Bought a '95 Wide Glide as my first Harley 2 days ago and noticed it was dripping a few drops of oil after every ride. Traced it down to the stator grommet.

I've read in several forums to replace the whole stator, but the bike only has 11,000 miles on it. I know it's 15 years old and can understand the rubber getting with the oil and beginning to deteriorate, but with only 11K on the clock I'd hate to think the stator is anywhere near going bad. I get good voltage to the battery and haven't had a problem with the charging, so the stator itself seems good.

I'd also read of people using o-rings and high-temp silicone to seal the area around the grommet to stop the leak. I'm not having any trouble finding neutral, but I'm not sure what kind of success this method has. Any insight would be helpful, Thanks!

Brent

Old 05-02-2010, 08:04 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,675 Likes on 1,094 Posts

If you have a black case use black RTV, if it's natural (silver) use Ultra Grey. You need to clean it extremely well and allow the RTV to set up at least overnight. So long as the plug is not disturbed, the stator will live out it's life, but if you mess around with it much, it'll short out and be history. Put dielectric compound on the pins and plug the regulator back up before you "glue" it all together.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:33 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

t150vej has it right. I use some carb cleaner spray around the plug to make sure there is no oil in the area because if there is the silicone will never stick. Make sure the regulator is plugged in and greased, clean the block and the rubber grommet and apply the silicone and walk away until it cures. I don't see any need in using high-temp sealant, we use clear silicone in our shop but black for a black block and gray for a silver engine would make for a clean repair.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:29 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep they got it right on you have to use some brake cleaner to clean and some silicone. My bike never had the dripping grommet issue but my buddies 87 fxr did and what we noticed was the oil also broke down the rubber content at the 2 connector pins and we cleaned it all out for a better connection, also with the oil on the rubber we were able to grab the grommet with needle nose and pull it out some then clean it up with brake cleaner , put some black silicone and push it back in and it worked fine. This winter we replaced his stator as well as mine, mine was an Accell and it was a too tight and needed a couple drops of oil to allow it to slide in.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:45 PM
Panthers65
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help everyone. I ditched the big oil filter when I changed the oil and went back with a factory sized one that didn't push against the grommet. Went a head and cleaned it up real well and sealed it with some black silicone and no more problems. I love easy fixes