EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Chose the ev-27 can, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 05:29 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts
Default Chose the EV-27 cam, now what?

Need a little help here guys before I tear her apart. I have a 1996 FXDL Low Rider. 18K on the ticker. I want to install my shiny new EV-27 Andrews cam. What else am I gonna need "in my hand", before I start the project? The bike has the stage one setup. Punched out mufflers, screamin' Eagle intake and ignition module. I already have installed adjustable pushrods and new lifter block gaskets. I assume I need a cone gasket. What about the cam bearing? Is that an issue with a '96 or do I need to change it? What else do I need before I start so I'm not running down parts in the middle of the project?
Thanks, Neil

Last edited by bikerlaw; 05-26-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:48 PM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get a cam bearing, a torrington, the INA stockers are inferior! I a recent thread this was discussed at length. I'll find a link.
here's a link, there are many other evo cam threads if you go back a month or so. You'll need to shim the cam properly, best way is to take the rear lifter block off, install the cone and tighten, then maesuer end play, but you might as well add a .050 first as later evo oem cams are .050 longer than Andrews. Andrews has good info on their website. I'd read up on some of the threads here though, might save you from making some mistakes others have already made. Good luck, I recently put in an EV27 myself and am enjoying the results.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-c...-question.html

Last edited by 96roadking; 05-26-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:57 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There are some very good cam installation instructions at nightrider.com. They are the ones I used to install Bertha's new cam in December:

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hdcaminstall00.htm

Definitely get a Torrington bearing! They are only $10 or less and available anywhere online or any indy shop.

You will also need a cam bearing removal and insertion tool. I got mine from Georges-Garage.com, but you can borrow them from Autozone, etc. for a refundable deposit.

I didn't replace my outer cam bushing in the nosecone... it looked fine and has continued to work fine with the new cam. If you need to replace it, you will have to have that job done by a dealer or an indy who can press out the old one, press in the new one, drill it, ream it, and pin it. I also didn't bother to pull and replace the outer cam oil seal outboard of it either, but it wasn't leaking then, and still isn't.

You will need a shim for the new cam... probably .050" thick - but they come in various thicknesses. You will need to measure the end play of the new and old cams with a micrometer. Mine was almost exactly .050" difference, so I was able to use a standard .050" shim without any issues.

And you may need a new pinion gear, depending on what pinion gear you have now... pray that it's red, so you probably can use it with the new cam. You can also swap the cam gear from the old cam to the new cam - but you will have to mark the gear position on both cams first, then have the gears pressed off, and the old gear pressed onto the new cam in the right position. I was lucky - my pinion gear was red and I was able to use it with my new cam without any issues (not too tight or too loose).

Good luck!

Old 05-26-2010, 09:08 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Awesome info guys. Thanks.
I hope its worth the effort and money when its all installed and rollin'.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:52 AM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
Awesome info guys. Thanks.
I hope its worth the effort and money when its all installed and rollin'.
It will be! The new cam will really wake up your bike!

Just read the instructions on nightrider.com two or three times before you start, and take things slow. Took me about 3 hours, including putting in new Velva-Touch lifter blocks, lifters, and adjustable rods as part of the project. I could do it again much more quickly.

Be sure you allow time for the lifters to bleed down properly when you are adjusting the pushrods, per the instructions. Since you already have adjustable rods, I assume you are familiar with the procedure for them.

I took a shortcut that is probably not recommended - I measured my old and new cams with my mic precisely, and determined that I could use a .050" spacer, so I put that in and didn't actually measure the cam end play once it was in there and the cover torqued. Seems to work fine though...

ALso, be ready for your old cam cover gasket to be a booger to get off. Mine cam apart in several pieces, and several took awhile to carefully scrape off of the engine and the cover. 15 years will do that to a gasket!

Good Luck! Keep us posted!

Old 05-27-2010, 11:18 AM
96 Wide Glide
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cant understand why Andrews does'nt throw in a .045, .050, and .055 shim with their evo cams. They know most installs are going to need one of these.
Recently installed two aftermarket calipers on my W.G, ( Brembo and Hawg Halters ). Both came with a series of different thickness mounting shims, and there's a good possibility you wont need any at all!

Old 05-27-2010, 01:35 PM
bonz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an EV-27 put in my 87 Flht. What a difference plus my fuel mpg jumped up to 40. I was only getting 28 to 30 before

Old 05-27-2010, 02:14 PM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will need at least a .050 shim as Andrews makes their cams to fit all EVOs. Sometime in the early 90's, I think, Harley changed their cam length dimensions so that later year EVOs need at least .050 shim.

As a side note of interest, I learned from my bearing supplier (work) that Koyo has purchased the needle bearing interests from Timken and that includes Torrington. Koyo has not started up the needle bearing manufacturing which is causing serious price hikes in the bearing industry. Hopefully, anyone needing a cam bearing can get one before pricing is raised. They are (or were) very cheap, around 8 bux, I don't know how much they could go up.