EVO All Evo Model Discussion

READ THIS: How to pump oil from crankcase after sitting

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 09:22 AM
89 FXRS
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up READ THIS: How to pump oil from crankcase after sitting

I am not a major user of this forum although I hit by accidant a way to pump out my crankcase of oil after my bike had been sitting for a bit. I do not know if anyone else found this out as of yet. My starter was not working and I thought mayby moving my clutch gear would help it. So I put my bike in 4th or 5th gear and moved it a couple of feet. I had my drain hose for my crankcase hooked up with a bottle at the end and. That is when it hit me.

First buy a piece of hose the same size as you breather hose around 14 inches. Then pick up a connector that has a nipple on both ends so that you can slide it into the hose that you bought and the breather hose.

Place a clean small water bottle at the end of the hose after you connect it to the breather.

Do not start your bike. Put your bike in 4th or 5th gear and move it forward slowly about three feet. The crank case oil will pour out. If you have the room keep going forward. Or pull the clutch in pull your bike back and repeat until all of the crankcase oil it out.
( About 6 times.)

When done pour the oil back into the motor, and connect the nipple to the other end of the hose to keep it clean for next time you decide . Place the cap on the water bottle for use next time.

Start the motor and place a rag on the breather hose to catch the little bit of oil still in the line if any, or just start the motor with the hose still in the bottle, you also can just wait a few minute for it to clear and run back.

To me this is a major find, you might want to say a word to keep this post in the top twenty for others to read.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:41 AM
89 FXRS
Cruiser

I am curious. Did anyone else know about this method of draining the crankcase after the bike has sat for a while?

I thought it was a good find as it pretty much eliminates the mess after starting the Evo and having a oil mess that is a pain to clean up.

When I was rocking my bike and saw the oil pour out from my breather I was elated that I found a way to drain the crankcase of unwanted oil.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:39 PM
Moog Player
Road Captain

My check valves are in good order. I've never had a Shovel or Evo sump. (I've had Honda's do it in the past.) Nice to know if it ever becomes a problem.