EVO All Evo Model Discussion

leaking oil...alot of oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 10:18 AM
gofasted
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaking oil...alot of oil

I was riding up to americade for a day or two and noticed a oil leak at one of my stops, this was about 40 miles from home, ran it a bit farther and the oil was pouring out the hole where the wire goes into the timing cover, so figured it was my cam seal...why it went ????...but after adding oil...6 quarts in 50 miles and 5 stops....it was leaking...alot...i also had alot of oil coming out the breathers...more then normal and normal for the bike is alot...I also have blue smoke from both tail pipes..trailered it home and checked compression 140 in each cyl...pulled cam cover and oil pump...dont see any ovious problems...its a 1994 flhtp cop bike, with 35k on it ..i put 1800 on it since ive had it...a few months...and except for oil from breathers its been ok..i replaced all top end gaskets when i got it becuase the rockers were leaking and had blue smoke from front cylinder so changed valve guids seals but that was 1800 ago- still had smoke from cylinder ...i read on the forums about many issues but guess I dont get it,i understand how it works , dry sump, but am i correct in assuming the pressure in the engine built up and forced oil out thru seals and past rings or do i have othe issues..I have pulled breather hose (goes to tranny (?)..and blew thru it and got a gurggling sound then clear...oil pan almost empty...but i do notice if filler plug is in i cant blow thru tube if its out its free flowing...wasnt over full of oil..and no stranger then normal noises...any ideas....is tranny supose to be vented or air tight with filler/dipstick in place?...

Old 06-21-2010, 12:47 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

How about some more info on the bike/engine like any known modifications, have you done a leak-down test? What was done lately, did it overheat before acting up? If you have a lot of oil going by you will have decent compression even with bad rings. Sounds like you have a lot of blow-by.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:42 PM
gofasted
Intermediate

stock cop bike...no engine mods at all...no leak down yet needed to get a t from work..wasnt over heated...when I had it apart 1800 ago i checked the rings and cylinders and they seemed in spec..( i just didnt have the cash at the time to get a 30 over kit...so just needed to make it thu this season)..run the bike almost daily to work 60 r.t. a few poker runs, club run and to club meetings...alway had a bit of blue out the one pipe...and oily mist from breather bolts...but this oil leak came on suddenly and got worse fast and seemed( might jst be me) to spray from breather bolts and smoke from both pipes ALOT...let it sit for 4 /5 days start it up and smoked out my garage in seconds...I ran the compression test before and after assembly and it was also 140...but i know the oil will seal the rings and raise compression, now bike still runs great even as a 2 stroke...but i have had a few harleys and even a few more leaks just never one pushing out quarts of oil on me like this...thanks Ed

Old 06-21-2010, 02:37 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If possible, remove the drain plug at the bottom of the engine cases. There should be no more than 8oz of oil that drains out...Anymore than that will cause oil to exit out of places where it normally won't!!

Old 06-21-2010, 02:53 PM
oldbiker771
Tourer

Sounds like the breather is out of time. If youve still got the original plastic one, its possible it wore enough to jump time. Or you got some junk through the return side of the pump. It doesnt take many scratches inside the pump to ruin its function, they're barely adequate anyway.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:35 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yep it sounds like it might be the breather is out of time. Stock ones are plastic and either last forever or screw up.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:13 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,478 Likes on 4,603 Posts

Originally Posted by SportsterBob
If possible, remove the drain plug at the bottom of the engine cases. There should be no more than 8oz of oil that drains out...Anymore than that will cause oil to exit out of places where it normally won't!!
Evo engines do not have crankcase drain plugs.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:23 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Evo engines do not have crankcase drain plugs.
I got a set of S&S cases and they have a 1/4-NPT drian plug fitting in the L/H case...

But you are on the mark with factory '95/'96 cases! Thanks for the info!!!

Old 06-21-2010, 11:24 PM
gofasted
Intermediate

Thanks for all the info, ill check the breather tomorrow...read somewhere that they make a reed valve for a replacement...any opinion on them? ill try what ever i can afford until winter when im going thru whole bike...alot of knowledge on here, get to be able to ask questions and get intellegent responses, helps from throwing cash at a problem without a clue what the root cause is...thanks again

Old 06-22-2010, 07:59 AM
gofasted
Intermediate

Breather looks ok, nothing really stands out but im going to replace it anyways, with mobil1 being 10 bucks i wanna keep the oil in the bike not coating it..

Quick Reply: leaking oil...alot of oil