EVO All Evo Model Discussion

cylinder stud blues

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 12:10 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default cylinder stud blues

Ok guys I really need some help here, for some reason what I originally thought was a blown head gasket turned out to be a cylinder stud pulled out with its threads not only in the fron intale stud but also the rear cylinder intake stud. I need to know what is the most economical way to fix these studs , I've pretty much used up all my funds on this bike and the company I work for is about to go on strike. I really want to fix this after all the blood sweat and tears I've put into it to bring it back to life.
Please give me some direction here guys.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:54 AM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ridemywg
Ok guys I really need some help here, for some reason what I originally thought was a blown head gasket turned out to be a cylinder stud pulled out with its threads not only in the fron intale stud but also the rear cylinder intake stud. I need to know what is the most economical way to fix these studs , I've pretty much used up all my funds on this bike and the company I work for is about to go on strike. I really want to fix this after all the blood sweat and tears I've put into it to bring it back to life.
Please give me some direction here guys.
You might be able to put a helicoil in there. I don't know if they can take that kind of stress, but the company that makes them says they are stronger than the surrounding material.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:58 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

I was actually thinking the same but was also thinking about how much stress and torque the helicoil can take. I also wander if a special type of helicoil must be used as well as length. I've helicoiled my cylinder exhaust stud with no great luck and had to have it welded drilled and tapped.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:14 AM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ridemywg
I was actually thinking the same but was also thinking about how much stress and torque the helicoil can take. I also wander if a special type of helicoil must be used as well as length. I've helicoiled my cylinder exhaust stud with no great luck and had to have it welded drilled and tapped.
I'd call them and ask. I sure wouldn't want a cylinder stud working loose again though...

Old 07-17-2010, 06:19 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,679 Likes on 1,094 Posts

They DO make different lengths of Heli-coils but most guys are now using a repair called Time-Sert. The require a bigger hole to install but are supposed to be much stronger and are what GM and other companies furnish to dealers for head bolt repairs on engine blocks. I have no idea where to buy them so you'll have to look around.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:25 AM
bigtone
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used Timeserts to repair a Cadillac Northstar block. Do a google search, there are places on the internet that sell them, including ebay. They do work nice, and when I was looking I saw they make inserts for at least some Harley engines.

Attached Thumbnails cylinder stud blues-bothbikes.jpg  
Old 07-17-2010, 06:34 AM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,679 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Here you go. You could repair yours and sell the kit on ebay to reduce the final cost of the job...

http://mechanicstoolsandbits.com/cat...14444908c59f74

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=tim..._dmd=1&_ipg=50

Old 07-17-2010, 07:53 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks I will order the 3/8-16 time-sert. I'm thinking I can do it by putting a grease filled rag in the crank opening and drill out tap and install the time-sert with red locktight, easy and straight forward right ?

Old 07-17-2010, 09:51 PM
bigseth
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the timesert, it should fix you right up.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:06 AM
hotrod351
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

as i was told by a mech when i found i had a stripped head bolt, heli-coils are 18 times stronger than the original threads. ask any one thats tried to get a heli-coil out how hard it was.

Quick Reply: cylinder stud blues