1340 or 1200

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 05:15 AM
tengel
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1340 or 1200

Hi
I am all new to Harlys and wounder if there is any differences between a 1200 an a 1340 engine that you can see by just looking att it ?
/Tengel

Old 10-30-2010, 06:25 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

All stock EVO big twins are 1340's or 80 cubic inches. 1200 EVO's are Sportster engines and can easily be identified by looking at the pushrod covers, they are spread out as four individuals, where as the big twins are two groups of two. The right side cover is longer because the tranny is part of the engine case, on the 1340 big twin the tranny is seperate. The 1200 big twin were pre EVO V-Twins. Hope this helps.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:18 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

They are completely different engines - although Harley used the term "Evolution" for both after the old Ironhead Sportster engine was retired - likely for marketing purposes because both engines have all-aluminum cylinders and heads. The 1340cc Evolution engine has a single cam servicing all 4 pushrods, and the Sportster 1200cc Evolution engine has a separate cam for each pushrod - so the engines look quite different.

Also, as John pointed out, the Sportster 1200cc Evo engine has the transmission integrated into a single housing with the engine, whereas the 1340cc Evo engine uses a completely separate transmission.

Here's a Sportster 1200cc Evo engine. Notice the lifter blocks are further apart, and the two pushrods coming from each one are in line and parallel to each other. This is because each pushrod is driven by its own, single-lobe cam, so each pushrod can line up with its cam and rocker arm independently of the others. The four cams are all geared together inside of the engine housing:

And here's a 1340cc Evo engine. Notice that the lifter blocks are very close together and are set on the engine differently from each other, and the two pushrods coming from each lifter are at different distances from the engine, and are at different angles, to reach the intake and exhaust rocker arms for each cylinder. This is because the lower ends of the four pushrods each go to a different lobe on the single camshaft. The lobes are all in line on the cam, and therefore each pushrod has to be a different length and at a different angle. The single cam is driven via a pinion gear connected to the crankshaft:

Google Images has lots of other pictures of these engines as well. Hope this helps.

Last edited by NorthGeorgiaHawg; 10-30-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:32 PM
BungoBill
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1340 or 1200

I have noticed a large No4 Stamped on one of the Cylinders on my 91 Ultra Evo. 1340.
Anyone know what this signifies? Bungo

Old 10-30-2010, 02:45 PM
tengel
5th Gear

Thanx alot..

I am quite close to buy a bike with a 1340 engine (know that now)
Is there any thing i should look extra at on these engines ?
The one iam looking at is from -89

/Tengel

Old 10-30-2010, 03:52 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member

Originally Posted by tengel
Thanx alot..

I am quite close to buy a bike with a 1340 engine (know that now)
Is there any thing i should look extra at on these engines ?
The one iam looking at is from -89

/Tengel
What model '89 are you looking at? Softail? Touring? FXR? The Evo engine was fitted to all of these in various incarnations.

The earlier Evo engine models (1984-1989) had Butterfly carbs - so an '89 bike would originally have had a butterfly carb. The later models (1990-1999) had CV carbs, which are better. The Magnetti-Marelli electronic fuel injection system appeared on some models in 1995.

The earlier models ('92 and earlier) also were "bottom breathers" with the breather in the crankcase, and the newer ones ('93 and later) are "top breathers" or "head breathers" with the breathers up in the heads... so the 1984-1992 heads and rocker boxes are different from the 1993-up heads and rocker boxes. At some point they replaced the old cork rocker box gaskets with rubber ones, too - perhaps in 1993 but I really don't know.

Earlier models also had a steel case insert that could separate from the aluminum engine case and leak engine oil into the primary. Not sure what year the MoCo did away with the steel insert to eliminate this problem - hopefully the '89 you are looking at doesn't have this insert, but I don't know. Maybe others here will.

Good luck in buying your Evo! There are a lot of good guys on this forum to help you. And after you have your bike, we can help spend more money on it!

Old 10-30-2010, 04:19 PM
tengel
5th Gear

The thing is that its only the engine that is from -89 ( I might be posting in the wrong forum part now)
The carb on the engine is some S&S so i hope there is no problems with that.
Its more of a custom bike. the frame is from -49.
I want a bike with an old frame to get away from some rules here in sweden.

/Tengel

Old 10-30-2010, 07:25 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,706 Likes on 1,343 Posts

A 49 frame with an Evo? That's pretty interesting and I'd like to see pictures of that, particularly of the seat post and rear jug/head/exhaust area.

The S&S is a good carb. That's what I run on my bike (1986).

Old 10-30-2010, 07:52 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member

Originally Posted by tengel
The thing is that its only the engine that is from -89 ( I might be posting in the wrong forum part now)
The carb on the engine is some S&S so i hope there is no problems with that.
Its more of a custom bike. the frame is from -49.
I want a bike with an old frame to get away from some rules here in sweden.

/Tengel
Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
A 49 frame with an Evo? That's pretty interesting and I'd like to see pictures of that, particularly of the seat post and rear jug/head/exhaust area.

The S&S is a good carb. That's what I run on my bike (1986).
ME TOO!

If it has an Evo engine, we consider it an Evo!

PLEASE POST SOME SOON!

Old 10-31-2010, 04:14 AM
tengel
5th Gear

I might have been a litle off there, the frame has papers from -49.

Last edited by tengel; 11-05-2010 at 03:16 PM.

Quick Reply: 1340 or 1200