stator upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 04:03 PM
woodnbow
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"I have a question.

Why have I never been thanked?????????"

Nobody ever thanked Cliff Clavin either, it's a great injustice I tell you...

The following users liked this post:
Ultar Rich (09-14-2020)
Old 12-17-2010, 04:09 PM
woodnbow
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"And regarding the "thanking" ... you have to upgrade your membership and pay to become part of the new elite group ... Makes me wonder why they added "pay to play" features?"

Not sure why they did that, revenue obviously but I'm sure there are other reasons. I do like the thanking feature. There are quite a few knowledgeable posters and some bona fide experts on the forum sometimes they're hard to spot. It's just another way to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:26 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure why they did that, revenue obviously but I'm sure there are other reasons. I do like the thanking feature. There are quite a few knowledgeable posters and some bona fide experts on the forum sometimes they're hard to spot. It's just another way to separate the wheat from the chaff.[/QUOTE]

As we all know it cost money to keep a web site going and I am sure the owners of this site did not do it for philantropic reasons. Sponsors etc can only support so much, plus having riders with the patch on the vest will only create more interest in this site which is a win-win situation.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:41 PM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IronGear

Now each to their own, but no pretending.

I have a question.

Why have I never been thanked?????????

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
That' a damn good question Irongear. JohnnyC, give em $25 and thank him.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:21 AM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Harley Davidson 38 AMP High Output Alternator 29921-95

There is, or was an Up Grade kit that Harley had our for a few years. I took the early 22 amp and 32 amp alternators and made the kit to increase the output to 38 amps. I bought one of those kits and put it in my 1989 Ultra. It fit great and really made a difference with the extra lights I had on it. It fits the smaller area in the Primary. The 40 and 45 amp kits from Harley will not fit unless you purchase a later Primary.

I have found one for sale on eBay. It is a Factory Harley 38 AMP High Output Alternator Kit. (29921-95) It is listed at a price and an "Make an Offer" too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Harley Davidson 38 AMP High Output Alternator 29921-95

Old 12-18-2010, 08:09 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Fixed, as in Constant Strength(you can use the word "permanent" here), not as in whether or not they are part of a revolving mass.
Been years since I discussed magnets and it never "clicked" that permanent magnets are also referred to as fixed.

We agree that they do spin ... lol

I just upgraded to a 32 amp system and it did improve the electrical / charging system and made it more normal. The 22 amp was smoked and almost completely wasted. Also added a new battery.

The only other comment made that I guess I didn't understand was regarding a heavy load on the charging system, which in my system does pull on the motor to produce heavy current, bringing the revs down.

I suspect if I had an even larger charging system like possibly 38 amps it might not drop the revs under the same load.

Sorta off topic for a moment. The pay idea is becoming common for chat boards. At the DJ Chat board that I moderate daily the idea was tossed around but the forum does not have the membership and activity this board does. I'm amazed at 200 to 400 new active threads daily here. With that proven large active membership sponsors should be more than covering costs for operation. Most boards survive on the sponsor seeing as how the entire content of a board is membership driven. I always felt developing elite areas on a chat board as divisive. Now there are the "haves" and "have nots", ante up, or only play in another entry level situation. Giving you features for pay will create areas that are not as active and thus you will loose the benefits that come with a chat board, free participation from the widest number of participants.

BTW a decision was made to not start putting up fees associate with using the DJ Chat board. Probably a good move for such an already small board.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:10 AM
Joe Nazareth
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I laughed my head off when I read the post you are referring to.

I might as well set the record straight, and let the truth be known.

So here goes.

Firstly.......... the load on the engine.
Meaning, fixed magnet versus electro magnet.

HD run a fixed magnet system. The load on the engine is created by the resistance created by the magnets in the rotor, in relation to the windings of the stator. Now that never changes.

You can totally unplug the regulator, and it will make no difference at all.
Now in an electro magnet system(like a car) the resistance does change, as the strength of the magnets increases(or is increased) as demand dictates.
Turn on the lights, and the engine slows a little. This is because in response to system demand, current is fed to the "rotor". Like on a Yamaha XS 650, for example.

Turn on your HD lights. Notice any loss of engine speed, any increased alternator load? No, of course not. They just turn on and off, and have no impact on the alternator. Different system is why.

Less load with a different regulator? Impossible, obviously.
Increased fuel economy? Only as a result of other dynamics, that a well functioning charging system may be a part of.

Now.......... series versus shunt regulators.
HD use a shunt regulator. Excess charge is channeled to ground.
This is a good thing.
The magnet is fixed, so the output from the alternator is locked directly to engine speed. Even if you do not understand this fully, the tests for the alternator alone would tell you this.
Due to the shunt nature of the stock reg/rec, the output current from the stator is fully discharged. Excellent. This allows for a cooler stator, that is less likely to burn out. Trty running your bike with the reg/rec disconnected. it will burn out the stator very quickly.

Series regulators are sometimes touted as "turning off" the alternator. As illustrated, this is totally impossible with HD.
What a series reg/rec does is ignore some of the alternator output(they use this principle to claim their "turn off" dynamic). This is fine on an electromagnet system, but lousy on a fixed magnet system. The stator is never "satisfied", so despite claims to the contrary, runs hotter(but hopefully still within an acceptable range).
The trick here is to ensure that enough current is being allowed through to prevent stator failure. You see this on various jap bikes, where one of the alternator phases goes via the light switch. The idea is the 2 out of 3 phases keeps the alternator happy, and when you turn the lights on, more power to ya.

Now each to their own, but no pretending.

I have a question.

Why have I never been thanked?????????

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Thanks for the info.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:02 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,685 Likes on 1,341 Posts

I disagree with IronGear on:
The load on the engine is created by the resistance created by the magnets in the rotor, in relation to the windings of the stator. Now that never changes.
endquote

That would violate the Law, Man. The First Law of Thermodynamics, Man. If you have a 23 Amp alternator, let's say, and it is putting out 15 Volts, let's say, then it is 345 Watts or 0.46 HP. That power level is not available at idle. Ask me how I know. It is available by 2-ish K RPM. Power out = power in less system losses. Less power out means less power in means less load on the engine. And magnets in the rotor don't create resistance either. Their spinning near the stator creates EMF, Electromotive Force.

Also, it has been pointed out to me that the stock HD regulator does, in fact, dump the full output to of the stator to ground, less whatever it takes to feed the rest of the system. I couldn't believe any modern regulator would do that, but someone linky'ed to a page where someone else actually pulled one completely apart and drew a schematic from it, and, yup, that's what it does. On the plus side, it does keep the voltage in the stator low.