EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Show me your Road King

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 10:12 PM
fogcity123
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Show me your Road King

Hi - I just traded my sportster for my fathers Road King. First year of that model (you can tell me what year that is), stage 1, after market seat, everything else looks to be stock. My question is what have you done to yours? I'm thinking of ditching the floorboards and getting forward controls, loosing the crashbar, windshield, and other bits and pieces of trim. I think I'd like to keep the bags as an option for long trips but still be able to have a good look without them on. I have apes on my FXR and love them so I'm leaning on towards putting some of those on.

Really just looking for some ideas (paint, etc.) and some resorces. Thanks.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:09 PM
mp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Show me your Road King

What's the point of loosening the crashbars, or windshield?
I'd keep the floorboards and put highway pegs on, maybe instead of the crashbars.
'94 was the first year of the RoadKing.
I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone successfully strip the bags off a bagger; at least, not since the rubbermounted ones came out. The FL's just don't look good without them.
Nothing looks worse than apes on a bagger. Well, maybe 18" wheels and tires.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:43 PM
fogcity123
Cruiser

Ouch; I appreciate your opinions, but I hate windshields and don't see the need for floorboards. As far as nothing looking worse than a bagger without bags, I'm sure someone out there has had success removing them - anyone? Personally, I'm not crazy about bags of any shape or size but I can appreciate the usefulness of them on trips. What about some Bobbers out there? Didn't that idea come done from a stripped bagger?

Old 02-17-2008, 10:13 PM
phat96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's mine. 1996 RK FLHR-I.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:22 PM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your list sounds like either (A) You "don't have an appreciation" for the Road King (which is fine, as misguided as it might be) That was a joke... or (B) you haven't developed one yet.

I had a similar list for a bike a while back and regretted it. I never really cared for the Road King all that much.

Then I road a few...

Then I bought one. And I'll tell you - I still have one bike with forward controls, no bar, etc... And I can't stand it. I'll don't think I'll ever go back. I don't care for Softies or Dynas anymore...

But again -- It's fine if the RK is "not your thing" -- But then sell it and get one that is. Trying to mod it into something that it just doesn't want to be isn't going to make you happy.

You can turn a cruiser into a tourer to some extent -- But you can't strip down a touring bike and make it seem "normal."

Old 02-18-2008, 12:25 AM
fogcity123
Cruiser

Phat96 - Beautiful bike.
John Scrip - I'm I touching on something that's unholy? Is the Road King a model that you just don't mess with? Maybe you're right; I should ride it first a bit before I decide. I've been riding a highly customized FXR and love the apes and forward controls - I'll give the other way a chance. Still interested, though, on what others have done. Thanks.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:41 AM
phat96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The beauty of the Road King is the comfort of the ride and your ability to personalize it, I after a smooth fender next from Klock works, an air ride. It just doesn't end. Just like any other bike. Enjoy your choice.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:41 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice bike. Though I am kinda partial to the 96 RKs.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:17 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Need to ride it awhile and then if you still feel like changing it that much,sell it to some one who will appreciate it for what it is and buy yourself something else.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:52 PM
fogcity123
Cruiser

Any model I buy I'd think I'd change somewhat (such as starting with a stage 1). Is changing the bars and pegs or removing the windshield and crash bars really that "much"? My sportster got a different tank, seat, bars, speedo, pipes, mirrors to name a few and looked great. My '94 FXRP looks nothing like a police bike anymore, and I get a lot of compliments on it. I love the look of the RK but I'm sure I can give it a bit of a face lift without "ruining" the model.

Quick Reply: Show me your Road King