Cam and Exhaust ? Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 03:28 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Cam and Exhaust ? Advice needed

Hey Gents,

Stock 80" 89 EVO with S&S E and 30k on it...

The top end needs new base gaskets and the cam cover leaks, soooo going to redo all the gaskets on the top end, replace the lifters and at least replace the cam cover gasket this winter.

Since I'm in that deep, I'm tempted to go with the install of a EV13 cam while I'm there.

The problem is, I am not inclined at all to replace my stock mufflers, I love listening to the tunes and runing loud pipes is not a trade off I'm willing to make.

Is it worth doing the cam? Will I get "any" benefit from running it with the stock exhaust, or am I just better off leaving the stock cam and replacing the gasket and the lifters and just running it as is.

Thanks !

Old 01-05-2011, 04:27 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not familar with any EV cams but I put a HQ Rumble Stick cam in my bike , never touched the exhaust and I noticed a big differnce.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:35 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I fitted an EV27 cam to my stock 1990 FLHS and it was greatly improved. The EV13 is also a great cam and you should find it works just fine. Your challenge is to NOT smile wide when you first ride it!

Old 01-05-2011, 04:59 PM
98fat
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget to change the inner cam bearing to a Torrington.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:33 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

EV-13 cam good Your cam bearing should be a torrington I would update the hyd lifters HD's most recent P/N Adj pushrods that can be removed without pulling the rocker boxes apart Stock exhaust great !

Old 01-05-2011, 06:14 PM
softail99custom
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default cam

Originally Posted by 89FLHT
Hey Gents,

Stock 80" 89 EVO with S&S E and 30k on it...

The top end needs new base gaskets and the cam cover leaks, soooo going to redo all the gaskets on the top end, replace the lifters and at least replace the cam cover gasket this winter.

Since I'm in that deep, I'm tempted to go with the install of a EV13 cam while I'm there.

The problem is, I am not inclined at all to replace my stock mufflers, I love listening to the tunes and runing loud pipes is not a trade off I'm willing to make.

Is it worth doing the cam? Will I get "any" benefit from running it with the stock exhaust, or am I just better off leaving the stock cam and replacing the gasket and the lifters and just running it as is.

Thanks !
I have an Andrews ev-46 with less than 3000 miles on it if your looking to wake her up !......pm me if anyones interested Thanks, Frank

Old 01-06-2011, 01:52 AM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks very much guys for all the feedback .

The plan is that the oringinal torrington B-138 cam bearing will be replaced with a new one and the new cam end-play would be shimmed within specs along with pressing on the orginal cam gear and installing the new, updated HD B-series lifters when the top end gaskets are redone.

Appreciate you letting me know if I was wasting my time or not going with the cam and using the stock exhaust.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:44 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks very much guys for all the feedback .

The plan is that the oringinal torrington B-138 cam bearing will be replaced with a new one and the new cam end-play would be shimmed within specs along with pressing on the orginal cam gear and installing the new, updated HD B-series lifters when the top end gaskets are redone.

Appreciate you letting me know if I was wasting my time or not going with the cam and using the stock exhaust.
Sounds like a good plan! Let us know how you get on with it when back on the road.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:08 AM
Ramona
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steel breather gear....eg. S&S....?

Old 01-07-2011, 10:14 AM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member

From the info I've reseached on the S&S site and several google forum searches - the S&S reed valve is not reccommended for the shovles or the older bottom breather Evo's up to 92, I had good luck with the stock plastic breather in an 84 Evo FXR with a lot of mods and a lot of miles on it and this current 89 has had no breathing problems.

Once it is opened up , it will be inspected, if it is good and the bore in the case is good, I'll most likely reuse it or go with a new OEM plastic one.

If I'm off here, welcome the feedback.

Quick Reply: Cam and Exhaust ? Advice needed