EVO All Evo Model Discussion

87 flhs installing updated fairing

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 09:31 AM
harley9701
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 flhs installing updated fairing

Hey evo guru's, does anyone know if a dresser style batwing fairing will fit on and 87 flhs (looks like a road king) without major mods? I have a friend that is wanting to replace his windshield set up with the batwing style. I was just wondering if anyone has done this before or knows someone that has. Appreciate any input.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:32 AM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 78 Posts

3 ways to go on this that I know of for a OEM Batwing.

First way - Find the inner fairing and the outer fairing from 1987 to 1995 and take the existing pod that holds the speedo, tach, etc, and place it in the factory opening of the inner faring to mouint it there, requires finding an obsolete inner fairing bracket - or looking at the parts manual and fabbing your own. Will need to extend the wiring to relocate it, but for the most part, electrically , it is a easier job.

Second way - find an inner and outer fairing from a 1996 to 2012 and bolt it on, break out every electrical tool and supply you have, grab the schematics in the factory manual for the 87 and get the schematics for a 96 -98 glide , buy all the updated gauges to fit the new style fairing and get busy building a custom wireing harness to make it all work.

Third way - just like the second way using the later style inner and outer fairing and gauges and then buying the complete wiring harness for a carburated 96 - 2006 electra glide and replacing / grafting it on to the 87, requires schematics and some custom electrical work to make it all happy and functioning.

Another option - find a late 80's to late 90's tour glide HD OEM fairing ( Shark nose, fugly, etc whatever name you want to call them) . Leave your wiring and Gauge Pod exactly where it is and bolt on the sharknose fairing and just add tunes. That is how they orignally did them during that era to the best of my knowledge and from the bikes that I've worked on.

3rd option - rip it all off , replace tank with a 90's era RK tank and gauge setup, requires custom wiring, and replacing the headlight shell probably to a RK style one, and then buy any common aftermarket batwing fairing designed for a RK, and bolt it up, put in your tunes and roll.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:35 PM
irydasteelhorse
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i had an 89 FLHS last year, and wanted the batwing. i used a late model fairing outer shell, and no inner. left the guages where they were, and just painted the inside flat black. fabbed a couple lil mounts that attached to the outside windshield holes to the mirror mounts. the other part mounted inside the headlight housing. used an 8" smoked shield, painted the shell to match, looked great. no tunes this way, but id bet you could run an Ipod with a small amp and speakers for next to nothing. was much nicer looking bike to me, and more weather protection with the bat.

good luck

Old 05-10-2012, 08:47 PM
Jefferson
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fabbed mounting brackets

i realize this is an old thread but i'm planning on putting an 07 outer fairing onto my 91 Heritage. Anyone out there have nay good pics of some fabbed bracketry to bolt the 07 fairing on?

thanks,

Old 05-11-2012, 10:11 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've seen where a batwing was mounted outside of windshield that was solid mounted.