EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1984 FLHTC -any issues to note

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Billy...
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 FLHTC -any issues to note

Is there anything I should be careful of with the early Evo's? Specifically I'm looking at a 84 Electra Glide.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:26 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Hi Billy, from a 1990 FLHS in the UK. During the early years of owning my bike (had it from new) there were several things that went wrong with it, but that was common and soon fixed. So during the earlier life that bike may have had some things go wrong with it, but by this time they should have all been done and dusted long ago.

The sort of things I have in mind are cylinder base gaskets, trans oil seal, gear lever return spring, alternator stator, ignition sender. Those all turned up in my first five years of ownership! With a bike of that age there will be things that are worn through age and mileage, rather than need attention through poor parts.

We can fix most things in here!

Old 04-12-2011, 03:27 AM
Billy...
Cruiser

Thanks. That's good to know. Over time I'd do a full rebuild anyway so quite happy to address a bit of wear and tear. I'd asked about parts for 90's Evo's in another thread but are parts still available for the early 80's bikes?

Old 04-12-2011, 03:47 AM
grbrown
Club Member

I don't think there is much to chose between the 80s and 90s Evos for parts. All the essential mechanical stuff is available, either from Harley or aftermarket. Some stuff is more difficult, but can be got secondhand from ebay and the like, with patience. It will depend how you approach your bike. I suspect if you wanted to stay as close to original and stock as possible it may be more difficult. Having owned my bike from new it is in a constant state of 'development', so while it remains stock to an untrained eye is far from it in truth!

Old 04-12-2011, 03:53 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,547 Likes on 3,057 Posts

JUst remember, the first year of anything will typically have more problems than the models that follow. But everything can be maintained..

Old 04-12-2011, 04:13 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Originally Posted by Stiggy
JUst remember, the first year of anything will typically have more problems than the models that follow. But everything can be maintained..
That's very true, but most relevant during the first year or so of ownership! After the teething problems are sorted out things generally get better. None of the things I had problems with on my old lady have popped up again.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:09 AM
perpulreaper
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would't trade mine for nuthin
Sometimes the parts guys don't know it things will fit our bikes but usually they will
Have fun

Old 04-14-2011, 10:15 PM
gnafin
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya i hear ya on that one.... i have a 84flhtc early and i was looking for a new lower triple tree and the parts guys said...Noo but then i found a 1988 was the same part.....

Old 04-15-2011, 03:10 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Originally Posted by gnafin
Ya i hear ya on that one.... i have a 84flhtc early and i was looking for a new lower triple tree and the parts guys said...Noo but then i found a 1988 was the same part.....
I was talking to my local parts guy the other day at my favourite dealership and he pointed out it is worth getting the latest version of the parts and service manuals for my old bike, as they are regularly updated by the factory. I didn't take him up on that, but next visit I wanted a trans cover gasket and the part number in my old book was no longer available. Fortunately there is a more recent near identical part, already on my bike! A good reason for getting the latest version of the parts book it seems.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:35 AM
takamine4
Novice

EVO 1 is the engine you are talking about, then there is some things you should do before you get to many problems.
1. The kehin carb should be changed to CV or another brand like Mikuni.
2. Ignition, change it all. Remove rotor and pickup, buy a nois cone ignition.
3. Normaly the clutch hub has one or more broken leaders. Change this to a stainless steel.
4. If you have a 5 speed, there can be some other things that you would control, let me know if it's a 5 speed.
5. RIDE

Quick Reply: 1984 FLHTC -any issues to note