EVO All Evo Model Discussion

6 speed transmission advice needed..

Old 06-11-2011, 07:10 PM
mdanehart
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 6 speed transmission advice needed..

I have a 1993 FXSTC. I been looking on the sites for a RevTech, or the Optima 6 speed, the Baker is way over my $ head. Any suggestions ...thanks

Old 06-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Moog Player
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stay with your 5 speed. Or lug your engine in 6th and beat the bottom end out of it.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:13 PM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,625 Likes on 842 Posts

Waiting for 1 bearing to install a Baker I purchased that was pulled on a trade in on a new bike. Did alot of research and not alot of positives on the Rev Tech, positives on the Ultima but still had failures.

Moog has a good point, in stock Evo application, a 6 speed won't be a good deal. 6th gear will be a 80 mph gear but if your determined to needing a 6 speed, drop the trans sprocket 1 or 2 teeth or I believe your bike has a 65 tooth rear pulley, go to a 70 and will make a 6 speed more efficient.

I have a big bike, large skillet headed rider and enjoy running hard with my small bike buddies so I have my gear ratio in the 3.65 range, a 6 speed will help me for my application. If it wasn't for my desire to accllerate fast and a mainshaft seal leak, I wouldn't consider taking out the smooth shifting 5 speed.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:09 AM
mdanehart
Road Captain

My bike is far from stock. I have istalled screamin eagle 10:5 pistons, ported heads, Woods W6H stick, Crane HI-4, 2/1 exhaust, Mikuni carb, along with a Baker 23 tooth crank sprocket. At 70 MPH the bike revs @ 3200 and vibrates my teeth. This is the rational for the 6 speed. The bike with the above configuration runs very strong and comes on strong about 3500 rpm. No problem leaving 96 inchers in my mirror.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:35 AM
Bama91
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am pretty new to the Evo scene but from what I remember hearing and reading about the three, I would check the swap meets, Ebay, etc for a Baker. You may need to put in bearings and seals but it would probably be cheaper in the long run. Been looking at a lot of used harley parts sites the last two days if I see a good one at a decent price I'll send you a link to it.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:11 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,625 Likes on 842 Posts

Originally Posted by mdanehart
My bike is far from stock. I have istalled screamin eagle 10:5 pistons, ported heads, Woods W6H stick, Crane HI-4, 2/1 exhaust, Mikuni carb, along with a Baker 23 tooth crank sprocket. At 70 MPH the bike revs @ 3200 and vibrates my teeth. This is the rational for the 6 speed. The bike with the above configuration runs very strong and comes on strong about 3500 rpm. No problem leaving 96 inchers in my mirror.
Ok, game changed! The price of a Baker is scary and I was minutes away from ordering an Ultima gearset before opening up a email on the Baker availability. The Ultima price and warrenty is a very attractive product and mostly good reviews across several HD forums, Mia(John) on this board speaks of the Ultima trans highly from hand-on experiance with installations in customers bikes, The Ultima trans makes the neutral light come on in 4th gear and John found the cure of a Vrod neutral switch for repair, John will chime in and help further, Ultima updated the spring in the shift control that failed in earleir transmissions.

Like I mentioned ealrlier, Rev Tech 6 speeds have a bad name from most installers, very few owners defended the trans.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:17 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by mdanehart
My S&S motor runs over 100 HP/TQ and I run stock US gearing with my original 1990 5-speed. At 70 it is running very similar revs to yours and is fine.

Have you checked over things like your rubber mounts, vehicle alignment and made sure that nothing is touching things it shouldn't be? May be something easy and less expensive than a set of new gears that needs attention.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:40 AM
95yj
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good thread here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ay-or-nay.html

While I'll agree the Baker is probably one of the best trannys out there, no way will I pay $3500 for it when I can get an Ultima for $600. I'd buy two Ultimas and still be at less than half the price and have a spare.

It appears that Ultima had a few issues early on but they have fixed them now. (Similar to their motors.)

Old 06-12-2011, 04:49 PM
mdanehart
Road Captain

Gentleman, Thanks for the advice. There was no excessive vibration before the crank sprocket change, I like the acceleration effects at low speed and the sprocket will stay. Just came back from a 120 mile run averaging 70 mph. The rpm was 3500. I will investigate the late production Ultima units...

Old 06-12-2011, 06:38 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Take your time putting the gearset in, they are pretty easy to install. DO NOT TIGHTEN THE FINAL DRIVE BELT TOO TIGHT. It will cause a seal leak and could cause some other problems too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6 speed transmission advice needed..