EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Worthless Vacuum Petcock and lines

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 11:02 PM
2006FLST
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Worthless Vacuum Petcock and lines

So I suspected a vacuum leak in my petcock or in the lines. It took a HUGE amount of vacuum to get fuel moving and I suspect that is why I was having some problems. So I took the back off the petcock and flipped the spring. Now she flows like a garden hose with NO vacuum. I also pulled all those vacuum lines and will put a new vacuum line from the VOES to the carb. What a bunch of garbage that stuff is!

Old 06-12-2011, 01:20 AM
Bama91
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my opinion, the more complicated you build smething, the more stuff there is to break.bu

Old 06-12-2011, 01:48 AM
Holster Maker
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006FLST
Now she flows like a garden hose with NO vacuum. I also pulled all those vacuum lines and will put a new vacuum line from the VOES to the carb. What a bunch of garbage that stuff is!
That's the way my blackgirl does it, heavy flow thru a Pingel! Sometimes she cracks me up wanting all this chrome expensive fancy ****.....but shes a good ride!
Just turn the sucker off when you're done with her.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:26 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

I went with a Pingle as well. Plug off the vacuum line and never worry about it again. I'm becoming a strong believer that all this "safety" crapola they install on these bikes is a bunch of useless and worthless crap. I'm discarding it is quickly as I can.

This is really making me wonder about whats gonna happen with these computerized, high tech abortions that are coming out of the MOCO now. Bikes aren't like cars where after 20 years they are intended to go to the scrap yard. Whats going to be the usability and practicality of these fuel injected, computer controlled, emissions compliant motorcycles when they get old? Sorry to get off track, just wondering.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:44 AM
Bama91
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
I went with a Pingle as well. Plug off the vacuum line and never worry about it again. I'm becoming a strong believer that all this "safety" crapola they install on these bikes is a bunch of useless and worthless crap. I'm discarding it is quickly as I can.

This is really making me wonder about whats gonna happen with these computerized, high tech abortions that are coming out of the MOCO now. Bikes aren't like cars where after 20 years they are intended to go to the scrap yard. Whats going to be the usability and practicality of these fuel injected, computer controlled, emissions compliant motorcycles when they get old? Sorry to get off track, just wondering.
You know when I worked at an indy shop back in the 90s we wondered the same thing when MOCO announced fuel injection on HDs.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:31 AM
95yj
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm becoming a strong believer that all this "safety" crapola they install on these bikes is a bunch of useless and worthless crap. I'm discarding it is quickly as I can.
Never thought of the vacuum petcock as "safety". It's actually for the yuppies who never learned how to turn off the petcock when they shut off their bikes. Or more funny, how to turn it back on before they start up and pull out into traffic. I have a lot of anti yuppie stickers on my helmet. One is "Turn on the gas dummy".

Old 06-12-2011, 10:54 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,683 Likes on 850 Posts

HD problay lost a law suit over a manual shutoff valve, can't be too quick into the junk product blame on them, alot of blame happy people and cheesy lawers out there. I work in the service dept for a Navistar dealership and we no longer give out torque specs and wiring diagrams to the public due to people unable to take blame for theit actions and have a lawyer on speed dial.

Last edited by 1997bagger; 06-12-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,201 Likes on 5,397 Posts

Bikes aren't like cars where after 20 years they are intended to go to the scrap yard. .
The MOCO wants them to be junk in 10 years...so you will buy a new one....lol

Old 06-12-2011, 07:30 PM
2006FLST
Road Master

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
The MOCO wants them to be junk in 10 years...so you will buy a new one....lol

Most likely a lot of truth in that statement.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:32 PM
2006FLST
Road Master

Originally Posted by 95yj
Never thought of the vacuum petcock as "safety". It's actually for the yuppies who never learned how to turn off the petcock when they shut off their bikes. Or more funny, how to turn it back on before they start up and pull out into traffic. I have a lot of anti yuppie stickers on my helmet. One is "Turn on the gas dummy".
Yeah I don't know how we survived prior to 95 (or whatever the year was) when they switched to that vacuum stuff.

Quick Reply: Worthless Vacuum Petcock and lines