EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Total Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 09:27 PM
nobody
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Total Oil Change

Has anyone used the Total oil change Evolution Scavenger kit from Rogue Choppers on their EVO.Interested in peoples opinion

[IMG]local://upfiles/7663/98F680AACDAF44C3BCA47EAB70EB1DEF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-06-2006, 12:04 AM
RudeDog
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Total Oil Change

I noticed you're getting no replies to your question so I'll submit my opinion:
I've never considered using it just because I am in the habit of changing my oil every 1500 miles and I have no need for sucking out the last few drops from the crank case. I think if you change your oil on a regular basis there's no need for some gizmo designed to be a money maker for the creator. Oils life is supposedly 3,000 miles if you do not expose it to extreme heat (i.e. riding when it's 100 degrees). If I do ride in extreme heat then I would get an oil cooler or change the oil more often than the recommended 3000 miles.

There's my opinion.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:23 AM
nobody
Cruiser

I realise the benefits of changeing the oil regularly but when all the oil isn't replaced then the new oil is always contaminated,which is what you are trying to avoid by changeing the oil early anyway.I have noticed quite a few of the guys running Tin Cans use the total oil chage kits on their bikes,was just interested in how many guys have tried one on their EVO.I have ordered one anyway.I run Redline oils and it is $25 per Qt.down here in Australia so anything I can used that will lower oil contamination sounds good to me.Not to mention that the temp here quite often runs over 100 deg. means that the oil needs all the help it can get.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7663/DA07E7000E9A423CA1B84D691B53C296.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-06-2006, 08:46 AM
RudeDog
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

That's some expensive oil dude! Are most things more expensive down under?

For a situation as you described or living in any high temp. areas I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to use a scavenger. I don't think the oil contamination is all that bad if the engine is warmed up before an oil change as recommended in the service manual. Warm oil flows faster and you'll get more oil out of the engine than doing a cold oil change, however not as much as you would using a scavenger. I would like to know how much oil is left in the engine after "all the oil" is drained using the conventional method. Could you let us know?

Another opinion

Old 11-06-2006, 09:59 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

Engine oil serves three functions; Lubricate, clean, cool. Run an oil cooler, use a high quality oil and filter, change them on a regular basis....Ride it forever. I think there is too much paranoia surrounding oil.

Old 11-06-2006, 10:53 AM
danbo
Novice

ORIGINAL: RudeDog

I would like to know how much oil is left in the engine after "all the oil" is drained using the conventional method. Could you let us know?
As much as 24 ounces of dirty oil remains in the bottom of dry sump harley engines . I think it is a good idea on any engine to purge the old oil out of the engine. Why settle for a little (almost a quart) of old oil with acids and fuel in it when you could have clean oil completely. It's like the guys that want to save $3 on a filter by using an off brand. Why not just get the black HD filter and save there but know it was designed for the engine.

Old 11-07-2006, 07:15 AM
nobody
Cruiser

That's some expensive oil dude! Are most things more expensive down under?

For a situation as you described or living in any high temp. areas I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to use a scavenger. I don't think the oil contamination is all that bad if the engine is warmed up before an oil change as recommended in the service manual. Warm oil flows faster and you'll get more oil out of the engine than doing a cold oil change, however not as much as you would using a scavenger. I would like to know how much oil is left in the engine after "all the oil" is drained using the conventional method. Could you let us know?

Another opinion
Not everything is expensive here,only things that are imported,especially from the U.S.A. Due I guess to the fact that we are approximately 20,000km away.So transport costs are prohibitive and since we devalued our dollar against the greenback in the early 90s which is great for our exports but really makes anything from the U.S. expensive.But hey it is still cheaper to buy direct over the internet than to buy from an importer.But I digress,REDLINE would be the most expensive oil I have seen here,but I put Shockproof heavy in my transmission and it made my already good shifting transmission into a sweet shifter indeed.Mind you I paid $29 for a qt of Shockproof heavy,BUT it was worth every cent in my opinion.That was behind my deciding to go with the Redline engine oil as well,even though it works out about twice the price of any other synthetic oil here.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7663/1B644F6599DB442486ACC42533FBC7E8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-07-2006, 07:32 AM
nobody
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: danbo

I would like to know how much oil is left in the engine after "all the oil" is drained using the conventional method. Could you let us know?
As much as 24 ounces of dirty oil remains in the bottom of dry sump harley engines . I think it is a good idea on any engine to purge the old oil out of the engine. Why settle for a little (almost a quart) of old oil with acids and fuel in it when you could have clean oil completely. It's like the guys that want to save $3 on a filter by using an off brand. Why not just get the black HD filter and save there but know it was designed for the engine.
Exactly danbo,what I wanted to do first was to fully purge out another companies product so that I can properly evaluate the new product,as I know what oil temp and cylinder temps that my engine runs at in what conditions and will check and monitor with the Redline in the engine,people don't seem to realise just how many contaminants are found in oils,even after a relatively short time,coming from a mechanical background ,I have had oil analysis done on many oils,oils that have done no more than 3,00 miles and are badly contaminated.Just the normal combustion process of the internal combustion engine creates contaminants,and with our extremes of temp down here an air cooled engine is very stressed and hence contaminants,and with the good old enrichener on a carby model EVO,leave it on a tad too long and not just fouled plugs ,but oil contamination.Enough of my ranting and raving.I just don't like to skimp on things,when for just a bit more I could have something that does a better job.I have 62,000miles on my EVO and have always flushed the oil (with a lot more difficulty) and she doesn't leak oil,doesn't use any oil and runs just as good as any other EVO around,and TIN CANS can't get away from me either,can't catch em either but that is another point that I will rectify shortly

cheers

[IMG]local://upfiles/7663/0915153165ED435791D028EAB32D0DBB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-07-2006, 09:07 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

I checked out the Rogue Chopper site. Their product seems to be a decent idea if you want to purge your system of old oil. If I was gonna do that, I'd probably run a few quarts of the new oil through the setup, re-drain the oil pan/bag. Then fill anew before installing the filter. Remember, on the EVO oiling system, the last stop before the tank/pan is the filter.

Old 11-07-2006, 10:05 PM
55fl5039
Stage IV

once a year I do a total oil change/flush. Drain your oil, remove filter, refill oil tank. Leave new filter off
Run engine until oil coming out of oil filter fittings runs clean.
costs ya an extra quart of oil. piece of cake.

John

Quick Reply: Total Oil Change