EVO All Evo Model Discussion

85 FXRP Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 11:45 PM
Tomcatt78
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 FXRP Rebuild

I have an '85 FXRP that I am looking to rebuild back to the original police style look. Right now my bike is no where near original since it has drag bars, speedometer and ignition switch on the tank, grey with red flames, and several other modifications. I got the bike from the 3rd owner and he's not sure the history on it. My problem is, I can't seem to find any pics of how this bike may have looked in its original state. I did find one video on YouTube that sorta helps. Does anyone know what this bike may have looked like? I researched the VIN and found that it had a windshield as opposed to a faring. I intend on going to swap meets to look for original parts. Right now I'm planning on stripping the bike down to the frame and painting the frame black and painting the tank, oil tank, and fenders white. I'd also like to change the carb from an S&S to an original carb so that I can have the air cleaner that says "Police" on it. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:04 AM
Holster Maker
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My son rode them for chp and loved them.
I was trained on the chp Panheads...LOL.
Tells all about them: http://www.policemotorunits.com/id247.html

I always like this true chp story about motor-cops.
http://thenewcaferacersociety.blogsp...a-highway.html

Last edited by Holster Maker; 06-30-2011 at 03:01 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:56 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomcatt78
I have an '85 FXRP that I am looking to rebuild back to the original police style look. Right now my bike is no where near original since it has drag bars, speedometer and ignition switch on the tank, grey with red flames, and several other modifications. I got the bike from the 3rd owner and he's not sure the history on it. My problem is, I can't seem to find any pics of how this bike may have looked in its original state. I did find one video on YouTube that sorta helps. Does anyone know what this bike may have looked like? I researched the VIN and found that it had a windshield as opposed to a faring. I intend on going to swap meets to look for original parts. Right now I'm planning on stripping the bike down to the frame and painting the frame black and painting the tank, oil tank, and fenders white. I'd also like to change the carb from an S&S to an original carb so that I can have the air cleaner that says "Police" on it. Any help with this would be appreciated.
I suggest you watch eBay for FXRP models for sale. It will give you the look so you can copy the pictures for storage on your computer.

As for the Carburetor, I suggest you go with a CV carb, and not the original. The original one used the year you have was not that good. The CV was standard on all BT, including the FXRP models when introduced. It is so much better of a carb and looks better.

Last edited by Ultra89Rider; 07-01-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:14 PM
Tomcatt78
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Liked the article on the mountain lion. I think that would scare the criminals more then a K-9. The other article was a helpful resource as well.

Thanks for the heads up on the carb. If I come across the air cleaner cover that says "Police" on it, will that fit on the CV carb?

Old 07-01-2011, 12:39 AM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomcatt78
Thanks for the heads up on the carb. If I come across the air cleaner cover that says "Police" on it, will that fit on the CV carb?
Yes, just make sure it is one that has the area on the top with the cut out to make room for it.
Or you can get the round sticker that says "Police" on it.