EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Kickstand Jerry Rig Trick!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 06:11 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up Kickstand Jerry Rig Trick!

Had the misfortune of knocking my kickstand spring off and breaking off the tab that mounts it to the frame going over what I thought was a low enough curb yesterday.

My riding buddy went into the gas station and got a wire coat hanger. We cut a piece about 16 " long and passed it around the lower frame near the kickstand and then put two twists on it to hold the kickstand up. Nice thing was there was about 4" of wire left over so I could reach down and untie the stand to park the bike.

Went straight to my local Indy who does my major work and he had a jiffy spring bracket from a Knucklehead that bolted right up to the footboard assy. and he was then able to put a new spring on. The old one got bent to a right angle.

The small ilet that broke off was pot metal and part of a welded on fitting that the left side floorboard assy. bolts to. At first Bart ( mechanic) thought it could be welded but I urged him to think of another solution as the part was so small and the welder was at another shop.

Just something I thought i'd pass on as if you or someone else gets broken down with a kickstand that won't retract it doesn't have to ruin the day.

I now carry that piece of wire hanger in my hard bag along with an extra spring. Wire is alot easier to put on than the spring so it's a backup option in case the breakdown spot is bad or the weather is, etc.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:26 PM
robkei
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have carried a piece of wire hangar with me for 30 years. Ya wouldn't believe how many temporary fixes one can do with it.

The hangar, along with duct tape and some tie wraps will jury rig just about anything.....

Old 08-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

I have wire, electrical and fence and steel and plastic tie wraps...

Old 08-08-2011, 02:53 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Well done. I think next time I go on a long trip I'll just invite you chaps to come along for the ride....

Old 08-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 967 Likes on 526 Posts

I used a bungee cord when mine broke. You can hook it to the bag guard, makes it easy to use the stand till you get it fixed.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:33 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,836 Likes on 17,455 Posts

You guys are starting to sound like us old shovel riders and the seat of the pants get you home tricks , welcome to the hood boys .

Old 08-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

LOL

welcome to the hood boys
If you happened to ride a Triumph in the 60's to early 70's then you already know more tricks than McGyver. More stuff fell off them and oil leaked outta places I couldn't believe...

D

PS: Bungies, bailing wire, zip ties, tape and a pocket knife....I guess if I go to a twinkie I'll need to tuck a laptop in my saddlebags....hehehehe

Old 08-08-2011, 05:37 PM
2006FLST
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A zip tie saved my butt a few weeks ago when I lost my shift lever. Helped it stay on until I got home.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:01 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 967 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug S
LOL

If you happened to ride a Triumph in the 60's to early 70's then you already know more tricks than McGyver. More stuff fell off them and oil leaked outta places I couldn't believe...

D

PS: Bungies, bailing wire, zip ties, tape and a pocket knife....I guess if I go to a twinkie I'll need to tuck a laptop in my saddlebags....hehehehe
Nope, had a BSA, then a Norton.

You forgot a piece of an inner tube and hose clamps......case you burn an oil line.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:25 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,836 Likes on 17,455 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountainkowboy
Nope, had a BSA, then a Norton.

You forgot a piece of an inner tube and hose clamps......case you burn an oil line.
LOL I had several BSA's , when said and done those were the least trouble of any bikes I've ever owned wish I had a couple of them back now .

Quick Reply: Kickstand Jerry Rig Trick!