s&s or ultima

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 01:48 AM
1989 fxr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s&s or ultima

1989 fxr 80cid evo 91000 km
I just pulled out my engine had a noise (wine) found the cam bearing gone and messed the case. I have been looking on line and thought about getting 100 ultima to replace the old mill. Any thoughts ultima or s&s the ultima cost less but reviews are good.
just putting it out need. I to go riding soon LOL

Old 09-08-2011, 02:59 AM
KingPinVinny
Advanced

Ultima, s&s are way over rated.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:14 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by KingPinVinny
Ultima, s&s are way over rated.
There are plenty of us on here who will disagree with that! I live in the UK and have an S&S 107 that I installed 3 years ago. The warranty on it only recently expired, but I never needed it. You don't get a warranty like that with a new Harley! My motor gives 101HP/107TQ. Nothing over-rated about that.

Living across the Atlantic I wouldn't buy an Ultima, partly because there is no support network over here for them, but also there are reports of problems. A competent engine builder can create a great motor out of an Ultima, but my S&S came great out of the box. They are doing a September promotion on their 111".

Old 09-08-2011, 07:07 AM
KingPinVinny
Advanced

Originally Posted by grbrown
There are plenty of us on here who will disagree with that! I live in the UK and have an S&S 107 that I installed 3 years ago. The warranty on it only recently expired, but I never needed it. You don't get a warranty like that with a new Harley! My motor gives 101HP/107TQ. Nothing over-rated about that.
And u need that hp and tq for? U got a big gal on the back? Racing from light to light? My point i was trying to make was that s&s is over rated meaning its really not any better then any other big inch motor. U can get the same power from a ultima, el bruto ect for less then the cost of a s&s. Ur paying more for the name. I got a el bruto 100 and im making more hp/tq then ur s&s, and i probably payed less then u for it.

Biggie
HAMC

Old 09-08-2011, 07:24 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

U get what u pay for! I got excellent value for money from my S&S, but you're obviously not going to be influenced by someone with firsthand experience.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:30 AM
KingPinVinny
Advanced

I have first hand experiance with s&s, it self distructed right after the warrenty was up, went with the el bruto next. So far so good.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:58 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

what about a remanufactured harley motor from the moco? seems like a good deal.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:46 AM
popawcritter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dan conner
what about a remanufactured harley motor from the moco? seems like a good deal.
I have been considering that myself,under $3,000 from what I'm told.My question is for someone who went that route..what did the dealer charge to pull the engine and re-install it?I read where the dealer must do it,is that just to get the 1yr unlimited milage warranty?Can an individual do it himself and send it in and just not have the warranty?I got my first bike in 73' and have always had a bike since, never had anyone other than myself work on them.I would hate to pay a buttload of money to just have them remove/install engine.

Sorry, don't want to hijack the thread but this seems like a good place to ask.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:56 AM
2006FLST
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is another option. I hear nothing but great things about these guys.

http://www.southern-mc.com/smwprseen.html

Old 09-08-2011, 08:09 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006FLST
Here is another option. I hear nothing but great things about these guys.

http://www.southern-mc.com/smwprseen.html
The prices on these engines are competitive with Ultima, etc. But there are things that I wonder about, like the .640" lift cam with harley rocker arms. That much lift without roller rockers is a lot of trave accross the valve stem face. This will cause a lot of side load on the stem causing premature valve guide wear. That's just one of a few things we saw when we looked over the specs on their engines. I am not saying we wouldn't use them, but we would have to take them apart and check them until we were satisfied with the quality as we do with any new product. As with any new product we sell we like to use ot first ourselves to make sure of it's quality.
That's what we did with the ultima's when we first got them and still check out a few thing here and there depending on the rider and intendid use.Like all engine manufacturers they had their teething problems, but they seem to have them worked out now. The internals are all first class.

Quick Reply: s&s or ultima