EVO All Evo Model Discussion

CV-Performance tuner kit -- one mans opinion

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 03:33 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up CV-Performance tuner kit -- one mans opinion

Well, I completed the switch, from a S & S Super G back to a stock CV, a while back, and here is my experience/conclusion so far........

The Kit was very easy to install, and instructions as to what jets to use were spot on. I've heard many who swear by the sporty needle, but decided to use the supplied CV-Permance kit as a whole. The carb now starts, runs, and performs so much better than the S & S. Not saying the S & S is a bad carb, just too much carb for my 80 EVO.

I have ran it up and down the freeway, on the curvy back roads, and around town, and it runs like a champ. My only complaint, is with the E-Z adjust air screw, and that's only because I burned my hand adjusting it when the bike was hot. After I figured out how to get my hand in there without burning it, I was ok with it. Definitely easier than trying to get a screw driver in there and turn it.

The carb is much more forgiving to adjustments, than the S & S was. And though I may not have it dialed in, perfectly, it runs great and I have no complaints.

I am in no way affiliated with CV-Peformance, and actually found them on another bike forum. Then I started researching, and made my decision to give the kit a try. I'm sure there are others out there that are just as good, I'm just giving my .02 on their particular kit.

Hope this helps anyone on the fence about doing an upgrade to the CV carb's.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:19 PM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah, I also like the CV, very straightforeward piece of engineering with no real bad traits or hidden issues. The PO of my bike or his indy was a major tinker-er, my carb has every kit and option known to mankind, thunder jet, dynajet kit, that slide thing, heck the needle is adjustable and he still had a couple washers under it...LOL

But, although it's a bit fussy until the engine is warmed and it doesn't like cold weather starts, it flat out runs away with the bike when you get on it. It behaves a little like kicking a fourbarrel holley with that thunderjet when you get on it at high speed. I got a great deal on a brand new CV this spring and decided to try it, got it jetted and adjusted, bike ran just fine and got good mileage to boot. After a moonth of boredom I put the old one back on and started living again...LOL

Glad your bike is running great for you..

D

Old 09-08-2011, 05:08 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 441 Likes on 253 Posts

I had heaps of probs with setting up my Dyno Jet kit but damn it gave some good power!

Old 09-08-2011, 09:39 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,619 Likes on 2,094 Posts

If you really want to wake up that CV, take a look at the Wood Performance High Capacity bowl kit. I still get around 45 MPH with a stage 3+ 80" Evo build.