EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Can a rear caliper be rebuilt

Old 10-05-2011, 08:10 AM
btroy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a rear caliper be rebuilt

Hi guys

Got on my scoot yesterday and had no rear brake. Checked out the fluid and it was low but it does not appear to be engaging the caliper. (moving the pads)

Can a rear caliper be rebuilt? If so where can I buy the kit?

89 FXR
Super Glide

Thanks for the info

Old 10-05-2011, 08:14 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,681 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Yeah, you can rebuild them. Get the kit at the dealer.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:56 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by btroy
Hi guys

Got on my scoot yesterday and had no rear brake. Checked out the fluid and it was low but it does not appear to be engaging the caliper. (moving the pads)

Can a rear caliper be rebuilt? If so where can I buy the kit?

89 FXR
Super Glide

Thanks for the info
Before you do anything drastic, when was the last time you checked the fluid level?! If the system is loosing fluid it may be leaking elsewhere, like the master cylinder. It is worth topping the system up IMHO and bleeding it first, to see if everything works again. Also if the pads are not moving, check they are not hanging up for some reason, like a build-up of brake dust or general road dirt.

At times like this a thorough service is in order, to find the true cause of the problem!

Old 10-05-2011, 09:17 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

GR is right, do an autopsy (an inspection) before you start throwing parts at it. It may be the master cylinder or low fluid. Hope this helps.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:55 PM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 275 Likes on 202 Posts

I agree with the others.....do a good inspection first. I once had a non-functioning rear brake and the resivour was empty. Topped it off and bled the system....it worked for awhile.

It ended up being a tiny pin hole somewhere in the system.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:59 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,519 Likes on 3,048 Posts

And good luck getting a rebuild kit at the dealer...If they can get it at all.

The aftermarket guys will have plenty of options however and at better prices.

But definitely follow tha above advice regarding isolating the trouble first...Good Luck!

Old 10-05-2011, 07:22 PM
Cleetussnow
Advanced

as everyone has said, check the brake fluid level.

But these calipers are easy to take apart and re-assemble. Get a look at the pads while in there. Then you can decide then if you need a rebuild kit with new pistons and seals, and the yellow greese you need for the piston. I have taken them apart, cleaned, and reassembled at times with good results, usually with a new set of pads. check ebay for the kits too.

With everything this is like a 2 hour job with the bleeding lines and everything, including the runs to the fridge. not bad workwise and good piece of mind.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:22 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

i got all the parts i needed for a caliper rebuild a couple of years ago from one of the local dealers. caliper pistons and all the o-rings i needed were in the kit. 85 flhtc. you should be able to get parts for your bike. the hard chrome was worn off the pistons and they had burs on them, they wouldn't retract. replaced them and everything worked good as new.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:49 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Years back on a 77 sportster the front quit working, took it apart and used compressed air to get the piston out. Had some rust on one side, a little emery paper and re-assembled, all was good. I was real low on funds at the time, so as long as it worked I let it go. Kinda amazing how little corrosion will hang up that caliper. If you know something about hydraulics you'd have thought the pressure would break it free, but no way.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:39 AM
btroy
Cruiser

I performed the inspection and discovered the resivour was empty. I topped it off and attempted to bleed the system. The caliper is moving alittle, so I pulled the caliper and see the brake pads are pretty thin. Ordered a set from ebay 20 bucks, dealer wanted $54.

Anyway thought I would use my vacumn pump to pull the new DOT 5 fluid thru the caliper bleed valve. Well that does not seem to work. Looks like I may have a master cyclinder issue.

When I pump up the pedal and let off I see small air bubbles. I expected some since the resivour was dry. Anyway will have to see when the new pads come in if it was just too skinny pads or my MC is shot.

Should be next week before I get to it will need to wait until the parts come in. Oh well there is always fishing to be done.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Last edited by btroy; 10-06-2011 at 04:49 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can a rear caliper be rebuilt