EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Possible EVO in future

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 11:24 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 526 Posts
Default Possible EVO in future

I have been talking with a guy on a possible deal on his 93 FLHT for my 23 T-Bucket. The motor was replaced by HD 562 miles ago and he stated.
"I replaced front+rear tires, front+rear wheel bearings, swing-arm and neck bearings last year. Also one front rotor and back rotor, and of course new pads. Getting ready to leave for Daytona, and I'm the type (or getting to that age) were I don't like surprises on the road. When I was waiting for my new motor from Harley I also went thru the tranny and checked internals, which were fine and replaced bearings and seals. Replaced front fork seals in Daytona 2005 when 1 started to leak. Replaced both, figured the other one wasn't too far behind."
Sounds to me like he takes pretty good care of his ride. He also has an 02 RK so he has another bike. I really miss my Ultra but do not want 1) A payment 2) something I cant work on!
Any opinions on the EVO would be cool. I never had an EVO, went from a pan to a Twinkie. (wow what a difference) The pan was stolen and I bought a new one. I'm a tinkerer so I like taking care of my own work. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-14-2006, 12:04 AM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Possible EVO in future

Sounds to me like you couldn't do any better than that EVO. That Dude is dedicated to keeping that bike RIGHT.I have close to 80,000 on my evo and it's still feels strong. It's the motor that saved the motor company! I'd ****** that bike up in a heartbeat

[IMG]local://upfiles/20407/F96E54E7B5F843CD900028BF3B38B581.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-14-2006, 12:05 AM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds good, we will expect pics of course if the deal goes down

Old 11-14-2006, 12:29 AM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member

It sounds like a solid bike to me also, I'm workin on a deal right now. We will see if we can come to a meeting. Thanks for the replies

Old 11-15-2006, 09:51 AM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

131k on mine , still riding, no smoke, doesn't use oil. I'd buy another in a heartbeat but with fuel injection
Bubba

Old 11-15-2006, 09:56 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

I own a 93 FLHS, so I'm pretty familiar with a bunch of the inherent problems with this year. And it was the first year for the new frame design that moved the battery from behind the right saddlebag to under the seat. They also got rid of the oil tank and went to an oil pan on the Electraglides.

First off since it's got a new/reman engine in it you shouldn't have issues with the base gaskets leaking. At least for now. The MoCo also 'fixed' the drive sprocket, not a new design, just an improvement. If you want an electronic cruise, I believe HD still offers the kit, but it also might be on the 'obsolete' list. Pick one up, I got mine on eBay and it works great. Oh, and in 93 the front forks had 'anti-dive' a system which used the handlebars for the air reservoir. Makes it real difficult finding grips now. But the Kuryakyn one's have removable end caps and work good. Also HD changed the switches to their 'ergonomic design' I think in 97.

The stock 93's are strangled by the air cleaner, and the exhaust. First two upgrades are either the SE air cleaner or a good aftermarket one, and some free flowing slipon mufflers. The MoCo used a 'flare' on the exhaust pipes and the mufflers along with a really funky clamp to seal the connection. You'll have to find the 'correct' muffler to fit your pipes. If you wanna ditch the stock duals, go with a 2-1 like a Thunderheader with the extended end to clear the saddlebag. You're gonna wanna swap in a new cam, the stock one sucks. I've got an EV27 in mine and love it. You'll need to replace the INA bearing with a Torrington when you do this. The stock CV carb just needs to be 'tweaked' and it'll serve you well.

Good Luck-Welcome to the EVO club.

Old 11-15-2006, 03:03 PM
4x4Given
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 1995 FLHTCU was a similar deal. 42K miles on it and the motor had been replaced (400 miles previous) by HD, full front to rear service, new battery, excellent shape, no leaks, dents or dings. The thing has about $4K of chrome and accessories (I inventoried all of it). Garage kept, all receipts and a couple of helmets for $9,600.

I jumped on it and haven't looked back. I think you'll really enjoy your EVO, they are such sweet rides.

Old 11-15-2006, 03:32 PM
91ultra
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Evo's are awesome! I've owned an '86 Liberty Edition EG Classic, '87 Superglide, and presently a '91 Ultra with 54K miles. They love you right back! To me, the biggest upside to owning an Evo is the accumulated experience, know how, and expertise that exists in the industry, and this forum as well for that matter. If like me, you want a great Harley and don't want to sell the farm to get one, the Evo makes for a great solution. I paid $7641 last week for my loaded, chromed out, minty, one owner Ultra that needs nothing! I worked at a Harley dealership in the past and have ridden all sorts of TC's, and they're great, but not to the point that I had to have one considering the higher cost. How sweet it is!

Old 11-16-2006, 12:16 AM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member

I'm lookin forward to another bike, havent rode in almost 7 months due to knee. It wasnt scheduled to be "fixed" till the first of the year, but it locked up again and had to be fixed. I sold my "baby" to soon, but am glad to have lost the payment. He's a pic of my last.

Old 11-16-2006, 01:21 AM
RudeDog
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

If you like doing your own mods and labor then I would have to suggest you go with the Evo. There's alot of info and finished "testing" of aftermarket engine upgrade parts for you to learn alot from. This internet thing is frigging incredible when it comes to Evo information (the TC88's are catching up to us tho' ).

Look over the bike really well (particularly under side) for scratches, leaks, any sign of an accident. A good thing to check is to sit on the bike and turn the handle bars to the left then to the right a few times feeling and listening for clicks in the steering head bearings. Then roll it forward and back listening if brakes squeek, then lock up the front wheel and push forward as hard as you can to feel how spongy the front end feels, at the same time you're checking the handlebar bushings (how far do the handlebars move with pressure being applied?).

There's lots more to check but those are a few that come to mind.

Quick Reply: Possible EVO in future