EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1990 Ultra Classic Tour Glide

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 06:58 PM
kennygsuperglide
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 1990 Ultra Classic Tour Glide

added another one to the garage yesterday. 1990 Ultra Classic Tour Glide. Wasn't even looking for a bike, just came across it on craigslist and couldn't pass it up. Any info on the tour glide would be most helpful. I haven't heard a lot about them. Did a quick search and didn't find very much. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails 1990 Ultra Classic Tour Glide-00x0x_d95liub6gz8_600x450.jpg   1990 Ultra Classic Tour Glide-00i0i_dzn1hx7ahw1_600x450.jpg   1990 Ultra Classic Tour Glide-00l0l_gdok5edxfj7_600x450.jpg   1990 Ultra Classic Tour Glide-00e0e_hsybcvprtj_600x450.jpg  
Old 02-01-2015, 07:04 PM
SeaZund
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sweet, I found mine the same way, wasn't really looking but browsing Craigslist.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:02 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by kennygsuperglide
added another one to the garage yesterday. 1990 Ultra Classic Tour Glide. Wasn't even looking for a bike, just came across it on craigslist and couldn't pass it up. Any info on the tour glide would be most helpful. I haven't heard a lot about them. Did a quick search and didn't find very much. Thanks.
What do you need to know? It is a fixed fairing bagger, otherwise identical to Ultra Glide Classic. Good buy.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:29 PM
kennygsuperglide
Road Master

just wanted to know if there are any known issues like ,bad starters or charging systems or anything that I should consider upgrading. This bike is, as far as I can tell, completely unmolested. It was one owner who recently passed. I am fairly new to the evo. I have a 91 softail as well, but I've only had it a year

Old 02-01-2015, 09:09 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

You didn't post the mileage, that can make a difference. My 89 had a bit over 120,000 when I got it, and I think a lot of it was still original. All the rubber needs replacing, including engine mounts & swingarm, the swingarm pivot is seized up in the transmission, going to cut it and press it out of the transmission on my hydraulic press (that was damned discouraging to find), paint pretty much worn off the lower parts, including brackets and foot boards, and needs a broken bracket welded back on. Doing a frame up on it and going to build a simpler wiring harness - all that radio, intercom, and cb stuff is coming off. Oh yeah, needs both pulleys, belt, and all 3 disks. Rebuilding the forks, too, and since they're off anyway, taking a look in the transmission and starter. Think I'll put an aftermarket higher capacity stator back in, too, since the primary had to come off; lot of miles on a stock one.

The bike rattled something awful, but still rode great and handled really good, except for the front brakes, needed a firm pull to get them grabbing, and then they'd grab hard, hope some Lyndall Gold pads will cure that - they sure improved my 1200. Lot of money in an old bike, but the previous owner knew it was no creampuff, and priced it accordingly; plus, FX/FL EVOs are my favorite Harleys, would rather have this in top shape than a new one.

And the clincher - the low mileage S&S 96 in it begged to come live with me...

Old 02-01-2015, 09:23 PM
kennygsuperglide
Road Master

I think I got pretty lucky. It has 44,000 miles on it, a few small blemishes in the paint. Don't believe it was dropped, the paint blems are one nick on top of the tank and a 1 inch scratch on the left side cover and a chip on the corner of the fairing, looks like it might have brushed up against something in the garage. No leaks, yet. starts a little hard when it's cold. really, that's all I know at this point. Other than it ran and drove great on the 40 mile trip home. It was so cold yesterday, I should have trailered it.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:29 PM
JD HD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great score! Congrats!

Old 02-01-2015, 09:32 PM
1CdnHD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks pretty clean ( unmolested ), not sure what ya paid but given the proper tlc she'll serve ya well!

Old 02-01-2015, 09:58 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by kennygsuperglide
just wanted to know if there are any known issues like ,bad starters or charging systems or anything that I should consider upgrading. This bike is, as far as I can tell, completely unmolested. It was one owner who recently passed. I am fairly new to the evo. I have a 91 softail as well, but I've only had it a year
Best thing you can do is to ride it. Anything needing attention will become obvious. Get in the habit of doing a preflight, checking maintenance items. Looks like a good one, enjoy.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:11 PM
kennygsuperglide
Road Master

Originally Posted by 1CdnHD
Looks pretty clean ( unmolested ), not sure what ya paid but given the proper tlc she'll serve ya well!
I gave $4,500 for it. I know some guys, on here, come across deals like that all the time, but here in Pa. that's broken down sportster money. just surf craigslist and you will see what I'm saying.

Quick Reply: 1990 Ultra Classic Tour Glide