EVO All Evo Model Discussion

My 1990 FLSTC 1340 Evo project

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 11:20 AM
tjhog
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I had an '89 Heritage and a '95 Electra Glide ... worked 'em both up. You are certainly on the right track here. Head work will make the hugest difference ... cam, carb, ignition are the prerequisites ... One thing - I did the S/E heads on the 95 and was very happy, but wished I had spent the extra to have them "worked" as you have described. HOWEVER - a cheaper, yet (I believe) better alternative - Branch heads. For the same $$$ (approx.) you get everything the S/S ones give you plus the work you plan on having done. They work great - as I evidenced by my buddies 89 FLSTC which everything away ...

+1 on the cam - the SE 57 will not give you the bottom end you are looking for. There are a number of cams out there that will ... check out Big Boyz Heads and click on the cam comparator. One spec to pay attention to is intake closing . general rule of thumb - sooner the better.

Otherwise, sounds like you're on the right track.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:23 AM
Serialk1llr
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Update: August 2016

Thought I'd check in and post up with what's been shaking out with thia project.

After considerable interwebs searching, speaking to various shops recommended by our community here on HDForums, and the ever-present budget numbera I ended up going with a deal I couldn't pass up. My local HD dealership (one of the last few small mom'n'pop dealerships where you're still like part of the family) made me a deal on having the heads stripped and refinished, milled down .050", and a complete port/polish/valve job.

Their lead mechanic, a gentlemen my pops and I have been working with for over 25yrs now, knows his way around an Evo engine inside and out like a cardiologists. So we have a lot of faith in his work and more importantly his advice.

So, well under budget, I started to tear down my baby last fall. And this is where my short fall project stretched into an almost year long peoject. I have the misfortune of questionable genetics and appatently inherited the 'bad back' genes my elder brother has been spared. That's meant that at 30yrs old, my 85yr old grandfather is more spry. Sadly in the last 5yrs its only gotten worse. Long story short is that my Will to work dwarfs my physical ability to hunch down over an engine.

Flash forward to today and we're reassembling my baby! Heads looking awesome, I added a Crane ignition, S&S lifters/tappets (no HL2T spacers), Andrews chrome moly adjustable pushrods (in case I decided to go more hotrod down the road) and an Andrews EV23 cam.

God willing, I'll be up and running by labor day weekend.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:29 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Serialk1llr
Thought I'd check in and post up with what's been shaking out with thia project.

After considerable interwebs searching, speaking to various shops recommended by our community here on HDForums, and the ever-present budget numbera I ended up going with a deal I couldn't pass up. My local HD dealership (one of the last few small mom'n'pop dealerships where you're still like part of the family) made me a deal on having the heads stripped and refinished, milled down .050", and a complete port/polish/valve job.

Their lead mechanic, a gentlemen my pops and I have been working with for over 25yrs now, knows his way around an Evo engine inside and out like a cardiologists. So we have a lot of faith in his work and more importantly his advice.

So, well under budget, I started to tear down my baby last fall. And this is where my short fall project stretched into an almost year long peoject. I have the misfortune of questionable genetics and appatently inherited the 'bad back' genes my elder brother has been spared. That's meant that at 30yrs old, my 85yr old grandfather is more spry. Sadly in the last 5yrs its only gotten worse. Long story short is that my Will to work dwarfs my physical ability to hunch down over an engine.

Flash forward to today and we're reassembling my baby! Heads looking awesome, I added a Crane ignition, S&S lifters/tappets (no HL2T spacers), Andrews chrome moly adjustable pushrods (in case I decided to go more hotrod down the road) and an Andrews EV23 cam.

God willing, I'll be up and running by labor day weekend.

Glad to hear you are getting it done!!!!
Good luck with your deadline!!

FWIW I also have a bad back and much to my surprise a drivers backrest from Mustang has done a wonderful job of relieving the pain!!!

The backrest centers the vibration of the bike on my lower back and when my back starts hurting I go for a ride and the backrest acts like a massage on my lower back.

The following users liked this post:
Serialk1llr (09-07-2016)
Old 08-29-2016, 07:57 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,792 Likes on 3,303 Posts

Just watch your compression with that 30* ivc.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:07 PM
Serialk1llr
Intermediate

Wanted to let you all know this project is compelete (well, almost). Took my baby out on the road on Labor Day and put about 100 miles on the old odometer.

Little things left to tackle
1) heard some light pinging under moderate load, so timing probably needs to be adjusted to take into account the new cam duration.

2) I'll probably have my tech handle timing as well as jetting the carb to match my new setup.

3) Swap in my new spark plugs and Crane ignition now that everyting appears to be in working order (this was my first endevor in a peoject like this, so fingers were crossed).

4) post a couple pics for y'all since many of you have been the inspiration of, and sounding board for this project.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:20 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Serialk1llr
Wanted to let you all know this project is compelete (well, almost). Took my baby out on the road on Labor Day and put about 100 miles on the old odometer.

Little things left to tackle
1) heard some light pinging under moderate load, so timing probably needs to be adjusted to take into account the new cam duration.

2) I'll probably have my tech handle timing as well as jetting the carb to match my new setup.

3) Swap in my new spark plugs and Crane ignition now that everyting appears to be in working order (this was my first endevor in a peoject like this, so fingers were crossed).

4) post a couple pics for y'all since many of you have been the inspiration of, and sounding board for this project.
That would be nice.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:26 PM
Serialk1llr
Intermediate

Snapped a quick pic while the sun was still up. More to come.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:46 PM
Serialk1llr
Intermediate

Looks like I got some leaky pushrod o-rings where they meet the lifter block so I'll be swapping out the Cometic o-rings with HD o-rings and see how she goes.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:10 AM
flhchaz
Club Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 498 Posts

Lookin' good!

Old 09-08-2016, 09:01 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,792 Likes on 3,303 Posts

Are you running the VOES on that? If so I'll bet that's your tip in ping.... I got rid of mine and never seen a decrease in mileage or performance.

Bike looks good... Enjoy....

Quick Reply: My 1990 FLSTC 1340 Evo project