EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Broke down....

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 07:04 PM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 275 Likes on 202 Posts
Default Broke down....

Took off for a nice ride....everything working fine. Went about 200 miles and about five miles from home....and the bike just quits. Check engine light came on when it died.

I quickly discovered the small 15 amp fuse was blown under the right side side cover. Replaced the fuse and the bike started right up. Then, the fuse blew again....I think it blew when I gave it gas. When the fuse blows, it all shuts the fuel pump off.

I checked for codes already.....came up with 23, 24, and 25.

23 being the injector.....fairly new red injector, so I doubt that is a problem.
24,25 being the the coil.....very possible failure with lots of mileage and years.

I am planning on checking the coil tomorrow following the factory manual.

In the meantime....anyone have similiar problems and their EFI model?

Old 12-17-2011, 07:12 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

I can't help you but I know all about getting stranded by an Evo. Good luck with the fix.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:42 PM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
I can't help you but I know all about getting stranded by an Evo. Good luck with the fix.

Last time I was stranded on the Ultra.....the stator/rotor shorted out. That time I was about 20 miles from home. Been stranded on the Low Rider about one mile from a HD dealer when the belt broke....HD didn't have the belt in stock either.

I've been stranded other times in the past......but have always been able to figure it out on the road.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:53 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by EVOrider
I've been stranded other times in the past......but have always been able to figure it out on the road.
Yeah, these bikes ain't like the old Shovelheads, are they.......

Old 12-17-2011, 08:12 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,780 Posts

For us who love to trouble shoot afar and follow electrical diagrams a little help since there are a lot of 15 amp fuses. Was it the one labeled battery.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:48 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check for wiring under your tank or seat that might be rubbing & wearing the outer coat off.
remember, "If you cant fix it with a hammer, It's prolly electrical"!
Hatch.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:13 AM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by grf000
For us who love to trouble shoot afar and follow electrical diagrams a little help since there are a lot of 15 amp fuses. Was it the one labeled battery.
It's the 15 amp mini fuse which is for the fuel pump. The fuse is located under the right side panel.

According to the book....If the fuse is blown, a short to ground is present between the fuse and fuel pump relay, between the fuel pump relay and fuel pump, coil or injectors, or the fuel pump itself may be the cause.

I've already checked for codes....23 front injector, and 24/25 coil. Both are mentioned in why the fuel pump fuse may be blowing.

The only fuel problems I've had.....since I upgraded to Stage 2. I could be riding at 70-75 mph in fith gear. Give it full throttle....speed does not increase giving a feeling that it is bogging down. It does not do that all the time......just sometimes.

Everything in the tank is original and has never been replaced with the exception of the fuel gauge sending unit a couple years ago.

I sure am hoping someone here has had this problem.....cut down on the troubleshooting time. Just go directly to the problem and fix......

Old 12-18-2011, 05:04 PM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member

Little update....started investigating....

I first replaced the fuel pump fuse with the new one....started right up just like nothing ever happened. Could not make it do the same thing again....

Per the manual....everything regarding the fuel pump plus the wiring checked out ok. Fuse to relay was fine, relay to pump was fine, and pump was fine....all checked the contnuity check.

While I was in the tank....I figured I would check the filter as well for the issue I would have at 70+ mph when the speed would not increase. Anyways, the filter was full of brown crud. I'll get a new one on order soon....

Not checked the coil just yet since it is buried under the tank. Didn't feel like removing it! Before I go checking the coil, could a coil overheat and blow a fuse? The bike was cold from sitting all night....new fuse in and no problems. Possibly heat related? Ideas?

I maynot be able to mess with it again till Wednesday or Thursday.....

Old 12-18-2011, 07:12 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,689 Likes on 1,341 Posts

Unfortunately, any part of that circuit could be causing the problem. Or a bare wire shorting to ground. I doubt, though, that a coil could cause it. The coil usually only has a couple ohms resistance anyway. I would be more suspicious of the fuel pump than the coil. What is the story on the injectors? Do you have the old ones? You might try swapping them out.

Intermittent problems are a biatch to track down. You have to wait until the problem is showing itself, then start measuring everything in that circuit and look for something shorting internally or to ground. I'd help you out, but Russellville is far away from Fay.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:34 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm wondering now if the pump was laboring because of the restriction & drawing too much amperage causing the fuse to pop?
Sorta the same as walking in deep mud.
Hatch.

Quick Reply: Broke down....