EVO All Evo Model Discussion

The easy way to set/check your timing

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 11:35 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up The easy way to set/check your timing

Back in the days of points, weights and springs if you were talanted you could play with these parts and tailor your curve to your engine. Then came the electronic ignition and the adjustability basically went away. But the aftermarket came along wit modules that may or may not have had a few curves to choose from, still not the best answer. Next we were given a port to allow us to custom tune your curve. But here comes the "curve ball". While trying to check the curve you need a dial back timing light, a rubber suit, some luck, and a quart of oil.

Back in the day there was an item called E-Z-Tyme. It fastens inside the primary right by alternator rotor and is marked in degrees, and is read through the same opening that you check your primary chain tension. All you do is bolt this in place, bring the engine up to TDC and mark the rotor where the TDC mark is on the E-Z-Tyme. We use either an electric marking pen or a center punch, then some white paint. I am uploading some pictures of it. The problem is these aren't being made anymore so they are scarce. Perhaps we could get some made??

Attached Thumbnails The easy way to set/check your timing-kwiktyme-007.jpg   The easy way to set/check your timing-kwiktyme-004.jpg  
Old 03-08-2012, 12:19 PM
fxesuperglide77
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

V Twin sells them. I bought one a few years back.

http://www.retrocycle.com/VTwinParts.../EZ_TIMER.html

Last edited by fxesuperglide77; 03-08-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:18 PM
bigtone
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really don't need the ez time. I use the same principle. At TDC I mark the primary with a punch and paint a mark on the rotor. Then shoot a dial back timing light thru the hole. The paint actually stays on the rotor for years. Makes the job very easy.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:51 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My primary cover doesn't have the inspection cover at the rotor so back a bit before I put the new dyna2ki ignition I did some modifications to the stock back plate and pickup cup and it worked quite well. I see retro does have them available, are they intended to stay bolted in the primary case?

Old 03-09-2012, 03:16 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by RidemyEVO
My primary cover doesn't have the inspection cover at the rotor so back a bit before I put the new dyna2ki ignition I did some modifications to the stock back plate and pickup cup and it worked quite well. I see retro does have them available, are they intended to stay bolted in the primary case?
Yes, you leave them in there and they are indexed to 50 degrees to boot.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:10 PM
Jethro
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure I'm following the point of this, pun intended. I have a clear viewing plug I out in my left timing hole above the primary in a stock setup. I already have factory supplied timing marks which I have highlighted. If you need to CHANGE timing, it still takes two people, regardless of whether you are using the "easy time" bracket or stock. I assume this is to allow you to customize the curve beyond the set 35 btdc?

Old 03-09-2012, 10:28 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member

If you want to go past 35 degrees you can where it comes in handy is adjusting the curve. You cas plot the curve by bringing the engine to a specific rpm and check the advance. By putting a mark for the rear cylinder TDC you can also ensure that the timing cup is cut properly.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:27 AM
fxesuperglide77
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fxesuperglide77
V Twin sells them. I bought one a few years back.

http://www.retrocycle.com/VTwinParts.../EZ_TIMER.html
I see that J&P has them also. Even cheaper. Huh!
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/911-671