EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Just put the Mikuni on...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Tucker99
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Just put the Mikuni on...

Re: '98 Softail. Yup, should have done this long ago, the throttle response is huge! To anyone that's replaced the CV with the Mikuni, what is the new starting drill? A few twists of the throttle then choke? Just choke? She was a little tough getting started. Took about 4-trys to keep her running. Let 'er run for about 1-minute with choke on and she idled great. No spitting out the carb, no backfiring on decel. A great improvement for just $250.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:48 PM
Rock4gzus
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Just put the Mikuni on...

Agreed! I also have a Mikunit (42) on my 98 Softail and HIGHLY recommend this in combination with an Andrews EV27 cam and Vance and Hines Big Radius pipes. This great combination makes an unbelievable difference on an otherwise stock engine.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:55 AM
Tucker99
Road Master

You got that right Rock4! After printing out about 75-100 pages of references and upgrades to the CV carb I concluded that every modification is to make the CV behave like a Mikuni! My CV was Dyno jetted and still didn't work right (in my opinion).What is your starting procedure?

Old 01-11-2007, 01:28 PM
recross
Tourer

on my '94 flhtc...starting up.......twist throttle twice.....turn up idle screw....and start...no choke...
when it starts to pick-up rpms...turn screw down...til you get into range of normal operating rpms....
this may take a few times until the engine warms up...the less choke/enricher the better less chance of fouling the plugs...works for me and I've been running with the 42 for some time now.....
BC

Old 01-11-2007, 03:32 PM
Rock4gzus
Cruiser

My start-up proceedures are really quite simple - sometimes easier than with my 2001 EFI Roadking - especially in cool (50 degree) weather. I begin by pulling the choke out all the way, give very little throttle and it starts almost always on the first hit. I give it a little throttle at this point until it settles inot a rythym and then move the choke to half after about 30 to60 seconds, leave it there, and can begin gently riding. The amount of time spent on a half choke setting canvary afrom about one to three more minutes - largely dependent on temperature but also on my acceleration expectations. If I push the choke in too soon, the bike lets me know but doesn't stall. If the bike has been sitting for less than an hour, any choke is rarely needed.

Although I have heard otherwisw, my experience is that the Mikuni makes for easier starting and better throttle response/performance than CV stock or modifiedcarbs on previously ownedEvolutions and Twin Cams.

Old 01-11-2007, 05:57 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 78 Posts

84' FXR EVO with Crane cam, Single fire ignition, Head work, pipes and a Mikuni HSR 42. Starting proceedure when cold was, pull the choke, twist the throttle twice and hit the go button. Fired up and I'd let it high idel for 40 seconds, push the choke in and let it idel till the engine warmed up. the Carb kicked *** in terms of throttle response, power and ideling ability. Only problem I ever had with the carb over the 13 years I had it was that an internal throttle plate screw loosened up on it. a little blue locktite on it and it stayed fixed ever since.

Once the engine was warm, no chock, just twist the throttle twice and hit the go button.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:23 PM
Tucker99
Road Master

Thanks for the replies guys! I think some of my problem may have beengiving it throttle with the choke on. It backfired real bad and made a loud metalic clunk. I'm sure that did wonders for the starter clutch! I need to learn to be patient and realize it may take a fewtrys and understand she'll neverstart as easy as a F/I twin cam.